Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Simulate sending spam
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Simulate sending spam

I need a way to simulate a server sending spam without actually sending spam, anyone know of a good way to accomplish this. Currently I'm thinking about creating a VM in my home environment and just blocking port 25 at the physical firewall level but is this the best solution?

Comments

• Its not really simulating but send within a home/virtual network?

• wych said: Its not really simulating but send within a home/virtual network?

My original thought is block port 25 at my pfSense box and then just write a php script or something and cron it to run ever minute. That way its actually sending, or trying to send from the virtual machine but blocked at my firewall thus resulting in me not actually spamming anyone. I am trying to fine tune a script to help prevent spam but I don't want to let it loose on my production network as I don't want a lot of false positives / people complaining, I released the first one in phases on the production network and it worked out well because it doesn't check as often as this new one, but I want something so I can verify this one is working and also figure out the limits / ideal settings of / for it.

• Well if you want to test spam detection, just sign up for an account at ChicagoVPS... You'll get plenty.

• @Jonchun said:
    Well if you want to test spam detection, just sign up for an account at ChicagoVPS... You'll get plenty.

Outgoing spam (to prevent spammers) or at least discourage them...

• @VPSSoldiers said:
    Outgoing spam (to prevent spammers) or at least discourage them...

Block port 25 and unblock per request from user.

• @budi1413 I already do that, but I have had a rash of people who have still been spamming after asking to be unblocked.

• @VPSSoldiers said:
    budi1413 I already do that, but I have had a rash of people who have still been spamming after asking to be unblocked.

If OpenVZ then use nodewatch or write script to log into CT & run exim -bpc

• Using KVM.

Sady said: If OpenVZ

• quadhostquadhost Member
    edited September 2015

We used a internal testing network simulating mailservers and VM's so it never utilized the internet.

• Try sending your spam from internet cafes or wifi spots:)