Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Any disk IO monitor script?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Any disk IO monitor script?

sonpythonsonpython Member
edited September 2015 in Help

Hi all,

I recently got some warning about hight disk IO and got suspend from VPS provider.

Do you guys know any script monitor the disk IO rate for centos. Which can monitor, log, auto kill process cause hight disk write, send email notify...

Thank you

Comments

• To make it easy, just don't torrent.

Have a great day.

• sonpythonsonpython Member
    edited September 2015

@Nekki said:
    To make it easy, just don't torrent.

Have a great day.

Nope, I do not torrent, just wordpress website for client and a python script to run auto backup by tar/zip command and auto transfer to hubic

• @sonpython said:
    Nope, I do not torrent, just wordpress website for client and a python script to run auto backup by tar/zip command and auto transfer to hubic

I do believe I told you to have a great day.

Thanked by 2hostnoob XFS_Duke
  • @Nekki said:

then, thank you

Thanked by 2Nekki PremiumN
  • Nixstats? Disk I/O is monitored and you can set triggers to alert you. You'd probably be better off just optimizing your setup so it doesn't abuse I/O - or finding another provider.

Thanked by 2sonpython vfuse
  • MikePTMikePT Moderator, Patron Provider, Veteran

What's the torrent clieny you're using?

rtorrent, for example, has a way to limit I/O usage, you should limit it there.

• @MrGeneral said:
    What's the torrent clieny you're using?

rtorrent, for example, has a way to limit I/O usage, you should limit it there.

I'm not using the VPS for torrent related services.

• @mikeyur said:
    Nixstats? Disk I/O is monitored and you can set triggers to alert you. You'd probably be better off just optimizing your setup so it doesn't abuse I/O - or finding another provider.

do you have any invitation code?, just shot those guy an email and waiting for an invite

• UmcookiesUmcookies Member
    edited September 2015

@sonpython said:

If memory serves me correctly and in all honesty I'm probably wrong, the invitation code was LET.

EDIT: Yup it's LET

Thanked by 2sonpython vfuse
  • @Nekki said:

Thats very rude.

• NekkiNekki Veteran
    edited September 2015

@stallion said:
    Thats very rude.

Only if you have no sense of humour. May I count you among the unfortunates who have this terrible affliction?

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

Maybe consider using rsync as well do do incremental backups, no properly setup Wordpress site should generate abuse amounts of IO, it's usually some crappy third party plugin causing the issue.

Thanked by 1telephone
  • vfusevfuse Member, Host Rep

NIXStats can monitor I/O usage unless you're on an openvz instance. On openvz you will be able to see process level I/O usage tho.

• you can use nodequery .com as well

• Isolation of disk i/o resource usage in the Linux kernel is still not well developed.

Best results are achieved using cgroups imho.

You can monitor disk usage with munin.

• Run your commands with nice and ionice before them

nice -n19 ionice -c2 -n7 tar (blah blah)

It will only reduce load/ioload relative to your container but it should help slow down the program to reduce the overall effect.

If you have cpanel you can also add cpuwatch to that

cpuwatch 1 nice -n19 ionice -c2 -n7 tar (blah blah)

which will pause the program if the load goes over 1 and resume afterwards

• Monit can do this. Just make a rule that when the disk IO Wait is > 80% for more than 5 minutes kill the process. If IO Wait isn't accurate enough make a script to parse sysstat that Monit can use.

• @sonpython said:
    Hi all,

I recently got some warning about hight disk IO and got suspend from VPS provider.

Do you guys know any script monitor the disk IO rate for centos. Which can monitor, log, auto kill process cause hight disk write, send email notify...

Thank you

You on openvz? and the provider uses nodewatch?