Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Anyone using SSHFS or NFS to mount remote server folder/HDD?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Anyone using SSHFS or NFS to mount remote server folder/HDD?

postcdpostcd Member
edited September 2015 in Help

Hello,

please anyone have good experience using SSHFS and NFS on "production" server?

For example i have an video website and i want videos to be stored on different server, so i mount that remote server video directory as local folder using SSHFS or NFS..

Videos are essential part of the website and if i use SSHFS or NFS it have to work perfectly, no disconnections etc..

please anyone can share experience on how/if to use SSHFS or NFS without connection interuption issues, so it provide solid connection and one can relly on it?

thank you

Comments

• All ISO and KVM template images are on an NFS share for Hostigation and have been for years. The share is in the same network segment, but as long as the NFS server is running, there is no issue. I did have a client who needed to share files and serve them via a webserver, and apache needs some config modification to follow the NFS share.

• I use SSHFS quite a bit. Dropping is never an issue. Better if they are real close together and on at least gb ports. One thing to note is that the front end server will show double the bandwidth through the interface.

Thanked by 1postcd
  • MarkTurnerMarkTurner Member
    edited September 2015

Why can't you serve from the second server? If you want to hide the origin, then proxy it on the first. Then you can have native http(s) traffic

• howardsl2howardsl2 Member
    edited September 2015

Refer to my tutorial on SSHFS (with auto-reconnect):

Using SSHFS to Share Folders Between Your Servers

Questions? Feel free to ask here.

• I use sshfs to mount backup folders so that I can backup files remotely. From my experience, if servers are FAR away, the efficiency of sshfs DO decrease.

• I use NFS to mount my plex and radio server shares. They work quite fine unless autofs updates and corrupts it's config files.

• @fkj said:
    if servers are FAR away, the efficiency of sshfs DO decrease.

lower speed or any speciffic errors..?

• @postcd lower speed...

• NFS gives you a faster speed, SSHFS gives you encryption. You can mount both at startup using fstab

• @postcd said:
    lower speed or any speciffic errors..?

Almost the same speed for download and upload. But the speed of establishing a download or upload or creating a folder is (sometimes very) slow. Sometimes timeout (not very offen).

Thanked by 1postcd