Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Looking for a vps with free wildcardssl
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Looking for a vps with free wildcardssl

Hello.
I found that it costs me less to buy and use wildcarssl with a vps. So, i'm now looking for a vps that offer free wildcard ssl. Please list your basic plans that have wildcard ssl.

Comments

• I think VMBox does but need to be used on their VPS or network.

• @VMbox said:
    We provide them free with our VPS plans in NL or Phoenix starting at $6/m. Certificates must be used on our VPS though.

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

When you find one let me know I will have 10. :)

• First asked for cheap wildcards now asking free ones. I guess there's no end for your greed.

• How about just spending the low cost on a wildcard? Let's say I offer you the wildcard at... $45 per year, would that not be low cost enough? Granted, free SSLs are better, but if you get a VPS just for that purpose then cancel and keep the SSL, that doesn't help the provider keep offering free ssls. Some of us don't cheap out and use SingleHop and actually have to pay for the certs.

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited September 2015

XFS_Duke said: $45 per year, would that not be low cost enough?

In his other thread there's a mention of a $42/year offer, so nope that would not be.

Also no matter 42 or 45, both are still a ridiculous ripoff, and not a "low cost on a wildcard".

Non-wildcard certs start from $8 or whatever, and there's no technical reason whatsoever for wildcard certs to cost any more than that. Only that the whole SSL mafia is a greedy cartel that extorts whatever prices they like.

Thanked by 3FrankZ namhuy scy
  • @rm_ said:
    Also no matter 42 or 45, both are a ridiculous ripoff, and not a "low cost on a wildcard".

But how low is low? Globalsign charges $33 for a year of wc alphassl, and then there's the PayPal fees and time spent.

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran

TheOnlyDK said: Globalsign charges $33 for a year of wc alphassl, and then there's the PayPal fees and time spent.

See my added comment about non-wildcard certs. Nobody "spends more time" to give you a wildcard cert, compared to a single-domain one.

Thanked by 2asf Francisco
  • XFS_Duke said: How about just spending the low cost on a wildcard? Let's say I offer you the wildcard at... $45 per year, would that not be low cost enough? Granted, free SSLs are better, but if you get a VPS just for that purpose then cancel and keep the SSL, that doesn't help the provider keep offering free ssls. Some of us don't cheap out and use SingleHop and actually have to pay for the certs.

Why do wildcard certs cost more than regular certs again? Oh now I remember: It is an inappropriate price based on the customer's willingness to "pay more for getting more", completely ignoring that there is actually no difference to a regular certificate.

"If a regular certificate costs $5 and I have 10 subdomains, wow that means XFS_Duke's offer must be a great deal."

Some people just don't like the feeling of getting ripped off , so they stop buying overpriced wildcard certificates, "original" printer ink cartridges, coffee machines that require proprietary coffee pads to work and products that have "planned obsolescence" written all over them.

TL;DR: In my humble opinion wanting to spend less on a domain verified certificate than on your kidechire dedicated server is completely legitimate.

Thanked by 2rm_ Silvenga
  • @Brad said:

We provide them free with our VPS plans in NL or Phoenix starting at $6/m. Certificates must be used on our VPS though.

How much do they pay for those certs? That would be interesting to know..

• TrollburnTrollburn Member
    edited September 2015

@scy said: How much do they pay for those certs? That would be interesting to know..

Yeah wanted to know too.

• StevenNStevenN Member, Host Rep

@Trollburn said:

We get them free from our provider (SingleHop) to be used on their Ip's.

• If you can completely self-manage, VMbox is a good deal.