Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Microsoft has developed its own Linux
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Microsoft has developed its own Linux

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2015/09/18/microsoft_has_developed_its_own_linux_repeat_microsoft_has_developed_its_own_linux/

Redmond's revealed that it's built something called Azure Cloud Switch (ACS), describing it as “a cross-platform modular operating system for data center networking built on Linux” and “our foray into building our own software for running network devices like switches.”

It's pretty interesting to see them using Linux in their Azure lineup. Do you think it makes sense?

Comments

• Why wouldn't it make sense?

Thanked by 1qrwteyrutiyoup
  • agentmishraagentmishra Member, Host Rep

now that's NEWS

• @Microlinux said:

In some ways, it's giving credence to their competitor.

• UrDNUrDN Member
    edited September 2015

They also use BSD, back in the days they bought stuff that used to work on BSD and failed to port it to windows, I think hotmail/msn was one of them. Even their websites were hosted on BSD machines since most of them were vulnerable it was possible to execute commands demonstrating that it was BSD indeed.

The fact that the BSD licenses allow code to be used in proprietary softwares has helped them a lot.

• LeeLee Veteran
    edited September 2015

Microsoft has never so much had an issue with Linux directly, it's their inability to monetize it that is the issue.

Thanked by 2netomx badpatrick
  • Everyone forgets Xenix

• linux is make sense because community can help them develop ACS.

• @Steven_F So you have time to post topics but not enough time to handle your own support tickets? People are here are getting tired of LET being used as your help desk, it would be nice if you could handle your business my friend.

Cheers!

Thanked by 1Jonchun
  • MicrolinuxMicrolinux Member
    edited September 2015

@Steven_F said:
    In some ways, it's giving credence to their competitor

Well, both a helicopter and a lawn mower have blades, but you don't turn a helicopter upside down and mow your lawn.

Windows and Linux are both operating systems, but I think most will agree Windows isn't really suited to a network device environment. I don't see them as direct competitors in this space.

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

Steven_F said: It's pretty interesting to see them using Linux in their Azure lineup.

Microsoft has offered Linux VMs in Azure (running CentOS, Ubuntu, etc.) for nearly three years.