Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Announcing the VPSNodeBox repository for EL6 (CentOS, SL, RHEL) Xen 4.2, Libvirt 1.0, PHP 5.3 & 5.4
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Announcing the VPSNodeBox repository for EL6 (CentOS, SL, RHEL) Xen 4.2, Libvirt 1.0, PHP 5.3 & 5.4

marcmmarcm Member
edited December 2012 in General

We are proud to announce the VPSNodeBox repository for EL6 based linux distributions - CentOS 6, Scientific Linux 6 and of course the original, RedHat Enterprise Linux 6. This repository is aimed mostly at other providers, but also at customers and folks who wish to run Enterprise Linux 6 but want more up-to-date packages.

What this repository provides (as of now):

• PHP 5.3.19 (php53) - 32 & 64 bit (includes php-fpm and php-litespeed)
  • PHP 5.4.9 (php54) - 32 & 64 bit (includes php-fpm and php-litespeed)
  • Additional modules for PHP 5.3.19 and PHP 5.4 including IonCube Loader packages - 32 & 64 bit
  • MySQL 5.5 (mysql55) - 32 & 64 bit
  • Xen 4.2.0 (xen) - 64 bit only
  • Libvirt 1.0.0 with Xen support (libvirt) - 64 bit only
  • Bridge Utils 1.5 (bridge-utils-15) - 64 bit only
  • Kernel Xen 3.6.7 (kernel-xen) - 64 bit only

Packages have new names so that if you install our repository and run a "yum update" the regular CentOS packages won't be overwritten. For example if you want to install our MySQL 5.5 you will need to first remove the CentOS supplied MySQL packages, and the run "yum install mysql55-server mysql55-client". Same applies for PHP and Bridge Utils. Packages that don't exist on CentOS, like Kernel Xen or Xen don't have a special naming convention.

All packages are digitally signed.

Repository: http://repo.vpsnodebox.com
You can install it by running: yum install http://repo.vpsnodebox.com/vpsnodebox-repo-1.0-1.vnb.el6.noarch.rpm

Packages are well tested. That being said, these packages are provided as a service to the community and don't come with any kind of warranty, implied or otherwise.

Enjoy!

Comments

• Do you have a security announcements mailing list or web page where you post security announcements (such as updates that fix vulnerabilities) regarding these packages?

• @NickM - packages are kept inline with upstream, so instead of backporting security fixes, the packages are updated with the next version, eg. PHP 5.3.18 -> PHP 5.3.19.

• We have added NGINX 1.2.5 to the repository, and it includes a default nginx.conf file with some saner default settings an a no-host folder that catches all requests directed at your IP address(es). Just run "yum install nginx12". Enjoy!

• @Zen What do you need added?

• Have tested and installed all the packages and I can confirm they are all good, thanks @marcm

• @marcm said: default nginx.conf file with some saner default settings an a no-host folder that catches all requests directed at your IP address(es).

Can you link me to directly this file ? Thanks, I don't run RHEL but just want to see !

• @justinb

The default nginx.conf in our package: http://pbin.be/show/1035/
    The drop.conf mentioned: http://pbin.be/show/1036/

A great Nginx resource is my colleague's @kbeezie website: http://www.kbeezie.com
    He also set up http://pbin.be

• kbeeziekbeezie Member
    edited December 2012

@marcm said: A great Nginx resource is my colleague's @kbeezie website: http://www.kbeezie.com

Though I always tell people to check out wiki.nginx.org (which is what the syntax highlighting of nginx links to), or the upcoming http://docs.ngx.cc/en/latest/ community portal documentation which will be cleaner.

(most of my kbeezie traffic seems to come from wiki.nginx.org when people look up the configuration examples on my site).

• @Zen said: Just wondering.. if so I will write you one big list. If this is well maintained I will use it for an install script I plan on creating.

@Zen - Sorry, forgot to reply. Quality is more important than quantity, but please post your list or send it to me. I'll see what I can do.

• A nice initiative, but I recommend building on it to make it something 'one stop,' something like what guys like remi have done.

Maybe you can even make a service out of it (like pbone have), haha.

• @Wintereise - I intend to keep this repository free. It is hard work, yes. I personally test all the packages, tweak them, update them and so on. It's primarily for our customers and for other providers who want to use Xen on CentOS 6. I will set up a page for feedback/bug reports or maybe create a launchpad account and track it there. Anyway, I thought this would be one way for me to give back to this community.

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

@marcm how did you get around the libssh2 1.3.x > requirement for libvirt-client 1.0.0.x ?

It is not in your repo and attempting to build from source ended up in dep hell.

• @AnthonySmith - Install the EPEL repo from here: http://mirror.itc.virginia.edu/fedora-epel/6/i386/epel-release-6-7.noarch.rpm

I will need to add this to the instructions. The only additional repo that I use to build packages is EPEL, which is endorsed by the community. Adding that should take care of your problems.

hmm, ok, not sure I will be adding EPEL to a live node.

• @AnthonySmith - You can safely add EPEL since EPEL has a very strict package policy. Basically it does not replace any packages already available in RHEL/CentOS/SL.

• @AnthonySmith - For future builds I might move these dependencies to my repository. The only problem I can see with that is the fact that they are already available in EPEL and people that already use EPEL might run into trouble trying to install the same package twice.

hmm perhaps I am being a fool (I am loaded with flu) but it seems EPEL does not contain libssh2 1.3.x

• @AnthonySmith - You're actually right and probably the flu is acting up because libssh2 is in the default CentOS 6 install. You also don't need 1.3.x since I've built Xen 4.2 against 1.2.2.

here:
    [root@dev1 ~]# yum list installed | grep libssh
    libssh2.x86_64 1.2.2-11.el6_3 @updates
    libssh2-devel.x86_64 1.2.2-11.el6_3 @updates

I will install it on a node without the build environment and update this thread. I'm curious what it does.

--> Finished Dependency Resolution
    Error: Package: libvirt-client-1.0.0-1.vnb.el6.x86_64 (vpsnodebox)
               Requires: libssh2 >= 1.3.0
               Installed: libssh2-1.2.2-11.el6_3.x86_64 (@updates)
                   libssh2 = 1.2.2-11.el6_3
               Available: libssh2-1.2.2-7.el6_2.3.i686 (base)
                   libssh2 = 1.2.2-7.el6_2.3

• marcmmarcm Member
    edited December 2012

@AnthonySmith - Have you already installed Xen 4.2 from my repo?

no I already had Xen 4.2 installed before you made your repo :)

• @AnthonySmith You should do a clean install from my repo. I have built Libvirt 1 against my Xen 4.2 install. That's why I don't have any dependency issue. That being said I will fine tune the dependency resolution for a future build an push it to the repo. That's why I value all the feedback that I'm getting :)

No worries, I will leave it for now then, and continue looking at patching the 0.9.x version, not worth disrupting clients over.

Maybe on the next node :)

• @AnthonySmith - I have rpms for 0.9.x that I've built on stock CentOS 6 against Xen 4.1.3, and I also have Xen 4.1.3 builds if you need them. I just took them out of the repo so people who use my repo don't end up messing up their servers :-)

Like I've said, I will fine tune the dependency resolution, however the packages in my repo are made to mostly work with each other. I am avoiding that of course where possible, hence the custom names for packages like nginx12 or openssl10.

• @AnthonySmith - Having a super busy day and juggling things I forgot to ask: what command did you use exactly to install libvirt from my repo, and did you uninstall the default CentOS 6 libvirt first? I also provide a yum plugin for package replacement.

to install it you do yum install yum-plugin-replace

to use: yum replace openssl --replace-with openssl10

That's just an example, should work for libvirt as well. If you have a KVM VPS available just test my repo there first on a fresh CentOS 6 64bit install.

• @marcm: I tried a fresh install and got the same message as @AnthonySmith as well:

Error: Package: libvirt-client-1.0.0-1.vnb.el6.x86_64 (vpsnodebox)
    Requires: libssh2 >= 1.3.0
    Installed: libssh2-1.2.2-11.el6_3.x86_64 (@updates)
    libssh2 = 1.2.2-11.el6_3
    Available: libssh2-1.2.2-7.el6_2.3.i686 (base)
    libssh2 = 1.2.2-7.el6_2.3
    You could try using --skip-broken to work around the problem
    You could try running: rpm -Va --nofiles --nodigest

• @zhuanyi - I am working on this and I will update the repository in a little bit.

• @zhuanyi - could you please paste uname -a

• Just PMed, thanks @marcm.