Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Looking for Mobile Pay as You Go Providers Recommendations with medium amount of internet allowance
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Looking for Mobile Pay as You Go Providers Recommendations with medium amount of internet allowance

GM2015GM2015 Member
edited September 2015 in Help

I've had my first samsung galaxy s3 mini since Apr 14 and I'm slowly paying it off, but the monthly package is a killer for me.

I want to pay it off, so I cancel my monthly contract with them and return to pay as you go sims. I'm paying for my mobile £6 a month over 24 months and £7 a month for their monthly package (it's £7 after a %30 student discount).

Since I don't talk all that much and mobile bandwidth limit is pathetic(300MB a month, lol), I'm looking for a pay as you go plan. I already have one with o2, but it's cheap for international and mobile calls. For internet, not so much.

Before I had this android phone, I payed a lot less in mobile bills.

Any suggestions?

Ideally, you top up say £10 or £15 and get cheap rates to UK and Europe. Bandwidth could be unlimited or minimum 1024 MB.

I don't watch movies through mobile networks, but I might watch youtube once or twice a month.

My present pay as you go calls costs calling an European country for 1/2 pence per min.

Thanks.

Comments

• VPNshVPNsh Member, Host Rep

GiffGaff might be suitable, take a look at their packages.

• GiffGaff is not unlimited and is very slow @liamwithers i expect you know this though

Three would be the best bet @GM2015 or some of those 100GB ee sims

@TarZZ92 said:
    GiffGaff is not unlimited and is very slow liamwithers i expect you know this though

I never had any issues with speeds whilst using GiffGaff. Also, OP asked for at least 1GB, which is what's included in their £10/month offering.

@GM2015, I'm assuming you just want a 30 day rolling SIM situation, where you can cancel at any time? Three have an option comparable to GiffGaff's £10/month offering (600 mins + 1GB data for £14/month). Here's Three's monthly SIM-only packages.

Also, it looks like the 100GB EE offering has now expired.

• liamwithers said: Also, it looks like the 100GB EE offering has now expired.

You can still find the sims though

liamwithers said: I never had any issues with speeds whilst using GiffGaff.

Curious, what speeds where you seeing? from the speedtest.net server i run they where averaging around 3-4Mbps

• I know it's not entirely on topic and I apologize but man this thread makes me feel shitty about my phone plan, $60/mth for $300 worth of calls (billed at $1 per minute) and 1gb/mth.

• Mahfuz_SS_EHLMahfuz_SS_EHL Host Rep, Veteran
    edited September 2015

Is that GBP 10/15 for 1 GB Bandwidth ?? What's the Speed ?? I use 1 GB Bandwidth at $1.63 at 1 MegaBit/S.

Edited: In Bangladesh :-P

• I don't know anything about Murican broadband and mobile service providers' prices, but one time I saw an American broadbnad provider's prices, it was ridiculously expensive compared to the UK's virgin media prices.

But virgin media is shit. Correct.

Yeah, tons of packet loss to digitalocean london and new york and online.net france.

Umcookies said: I know it's not entirely on topic and I apologize but man this thread makes me feel shitty about my phone plan, $60/mth for $300 worth of calls (billed at $1 per minute) and 1gb/mth.

@TarZZ92 said:
    Curious, what speeds where you seeing? from the speedtest.net server i run they where averaging around 3-4Mbps

Been a while since I was using GiffGaff, and I rarely pushed any actual speed tests (didn't have any need to). If the OP just wants to watch a couple of YouTube videos a month, and do some general browsing, is 4Mbps not more than sufficient?

Realistically, do most people need any more than 4Mbps? You can stream YouTube, Netflix etc. with that, and from what I've seen, most people don't download huge files to their smart phones. The only time that having much higher speeds would likely make a difference would be downloading apps?

Of course, I could be mistaken, but from reading the OP's requirements, it seems as though there isn't any need for speeds any faster than what's needed to stream videos.

• TarZZ92TarZZ92 Member
    edited September 2015

liamwithers said: Realistically, do most people need any more than 4Mbps? You can stream YouTube, Netflix etc

these days yes. most people want good quality and HD. its one of the reasons why o2 is loosing customers (for anyone who is curious o2 owns giffgaff)

• NexHostNexHost Member
    edited September 2015

@TarZZ92 said:

Has the Three one plan stopped now?

I remember using 120GB of data without any issue (Tethering 4G). just had mostly cogentco routes.

• NekkiNekki Veteran
    edited September 2015

@jmckeag12 said:
    I remember using 120GB of data without any issue (Tethering 4G). just had mostly cogentco routes.

Tethering is now no longer unlimited on the £20/month contract/PAYG plans, but there are various ways around that if you've got an Android device.

Thanked by 1linuxthefish
  • @Nekki said:
    Tethering is now no longer unlimited on the £20/month contract/PAYG plans, but there are various ways around that if you've got an Android device.

Ah good will have to pay up the £110 + £57 I owe to Three so I can get a Upgrade as my contract is nearly up for my one plan.

@TarZZ92 said:
    these days yes. most people want good quality and HD. its one of the reasons why o2 is loosing customers (for anyone who is curious o2 owns giffgaff)

Fair enough. I only tend to watch HD content at home, so don't need to use any of my data allowance.

Basically, £10/month GiffGaff, or £14/month+ elsewhere. If watching YouTube once or twice a month, and you really do need HD, maybe look at something other than GiffGaff for the extra few quid per month. Not sure on prices to call other countries on any of these networks, but I can't imagine it's overly cheap. I do recall GiffGaff having good overseas prices a couple of years ago, unsure if it's still the same now.

• Nekki said: Tethering is now no longer unlimited on the £20/month contract/PAYG plans, but there are various ways around that if you've got an Android device.

am sure it could be done on others too, although some seem to dispute how its being blocked. most seem to think it's a new APN..

• @TarZZ92 said:
    am sure it could be done on others too, although some seem to dispute how its being blocked. most seem to think it's a new AP

I've heard of all sorts of ways to do it, but bizarrely I know of someone who did nothing more that install
    Cyanogen Mod and has been able to tether without using he tethering allowance at all.

• EE do 1GB/50 mins/50 SMS for £10 per 30days (with the promise of better deals if you stay for 3 months). This is on actual PAYG rather than 30-day rolling post-pay. My impression is that EE's network is better than the spare bandwidth O2 give to GiffGaff, YMMV.

• Three is the best!

• EE, 4G speeds faster than my home fiber broadband (4G ~ 35-40mbps down, central London) I'm on a contract (£23 a month, 5GB data and unlimited texts and calls) but I know you can get a PAYG sim and £105 a month is 1.5GB data and 100 mins, but not many texts (50)