Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

WHMCS v6 requires php 5.3.7 or preferrably 5.4. Should I upgrade CentOS v6 or move to CentOS v7?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

WHMCS v6 requires php 5.3.7 or preferrably 5.4. Should I upgrade CentOS v6 or move to CentOS v7?

smansman Member
edited September 2015 in General

Due to the fact WHMCS v6 does not support native CentOS v6 PHP we are being forced into considering doing some things we would rather not.

We found a procedure for upgrading CentOS v6 on Virtualmin to PHP v5.4. Testing on a development server is encouraging. However, Virtualmin does not recommend it. Doesn't sounds like WHMCS has tested it. So we don't feel all that comfortable about it.

We are also testing CentOS v7. Virtualmin seems to work ok. Haven't tested WHMCS on it yet. It also means we will be running WHMCS on MariaDB. It doesn't sound like WHMCS has done much testing on that either.

So the way I see it, moving everything over to CentOS v7 is a bit more risky short term but more future proof long term. Also CentOS v7 has a lot of other nice improvements. Still a bit early for a critical part of our business to be running on CentOS v7 though. We would rather wait till it reaches maybe 7.3. This unwelcome new WHMCS requirement has forced us into making a decision we would rather not at this time. We will need to do something soon since 5.3 is end of life in Oct. Another very unwelcome move by WHMCS.

Wondering what other people are doing and how it's working out for them.

NOTE: We are running CentOS v6 32bit so cannot make use of the SCL repository. Also, the supposed upgrader for going from CE6 to CE7 is apparently broken and not recommended for production systems. Wouldn't help us anyways since we are CE6 32bit and CE7 is only 64bit.

Comments

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
    edited September 2015

If you're a fellow Apache lover like myself, I have something to warn of in relation to Cent7:

PHP is not compiled for multithreading in the repo so mod_php fails when Apache is set to anything but prefork. I tried to get around compiling by using the remi repo (I want updates that aren't "when I feel like compiling again") and ended up creating a recipe that basically guaranteed the server to go OOM in a matter of hours (could even firewall off port 80, Apache still runs it OOM).

Actually if you want to have a look at this hilarious OOM script I made for Cent 7 so you know what not to do:

https://github.com/jarland/ServerScripts/blob/master/centos7lamp.sh

But, if you're an Nginx fan, I really just typed a lot of useless crap to you :)

• I haven't messed with Virtualmin, but have you tried using the IUS Community repo?

https://dl.iuscommunity.org/pub/ius/stable/Redhat/6/i386/repoview/ius-release.html

• Hmm, WHMCS supporting php 5.3 well past the EOL by PHP is good enough for most. Hell, PHP 5.4 is even EOL already. 5.6 is the only one still getting updates if I remember right. Next is 6.0.

To check EOL go here... http://php.net/eol.php

If you're still using php 5.2, for WHMCS, it's not wise. Updating will be worth it. I'd update to 5.6 if you can. Lol

• @XFS_Duke said:
    Next is 6.0 7.0.

• @telephone said:

Next is 6.0 7.0.

Yea, sorry. 7.0 is next. They just released the development version. My bad. :)

• I was easily able to compile NGINX and PHP on CentOS 6. Just remember that if you're compiling Apache, move the apr/apr-util folders into the src folder.

• smansman Member
    edited September 2015

@Jar said:
    If you're a fellow Apache lover like myself, I have something to warn of in relation to Cent7:

PHP is not compiled for multithreading in the repo so mod_php fails when Apache is set to anything but prefork. I tried to get around compiling by using the remi repo (I want updates that aren't "when I feel like compiling again") and ended up creating a recipe that basically guaranteed the server to go OOM in a matter of hours (could even firewall off port 80, Apache still runs it OOM).

Actually if you want to have a look at this hilarious OOM script I made for Cent 7 so you know what not to do:

https://github.com/jarland/ServerScripts/blob/master/centos7lamp.sh

But, if you're an Nginx fan, I really just typed a lot of useless crap to you :)

Yes on Apache but not using mod_php. The recommended and new default way is fcgi which is what we have been using for quite some time.

Thanked by 1jar
  • smansman Member
    edited September 2015

@XFS_Duke said:
    Hmm, WHMCS supporting php 5.3 well past the EOL by PHP is good enough for most. Hell, PHP 5.4 is even EOL already. 5.6 is the only one still getting updates if I remember right. Next is 6.0.

To check EOL go here... http://php.net/eol.php

If you're still using php 5.2, for WHMCS, it's not wise. Updating will be worth it. I'd update to 5.6 if you can. Lol

Check a little closer. CentOS v6 uses 5.3.3. WHMCS supports 5.3.7+ but recommends 5.4. It is just as much trouble using 3rd party repos to upgrade to 5.3.7 as it is 5.4 and 5.4 appears to be more common and more tested so may as well upgrade to 5.4. Oh there is also the fact that there are several critical security issues with 5.3. CentOS 5.3.3 backports critical security fixes but doubt the 3rd party repos are doing the same so again, the only practical option appears to be to upgrade to 5.4.

• instead of using 3rd party repos, why not installing php from source?

• @sman said:
    Check a little closer.

That made me laugh. Check a little closer into the link I provided. PHP 5.3 is done. 5.4 is done. If you can't install PHP from source, why are you hosting WHMCS installations? I could imagine how secure your servers are if your entire level of management is installing software software using yum.

• Use IUS repo (iuscommunity.org) where we can switch between php version with 'yum replace php --replacewith=php54' (example for php 5.4).

Kloxo-MR use this repo beside some other repos for different rpms.

• Yep, my plans for "install and don't worry for years" were shattered by outdated versions,too. :( So now I switched from Debian to Ubuntu, because that at least is not released with terribly outdated versions.

Now to wait for 2-3 years and see... :D

• just upgrade php via epl repository. it will work fine for you.

• use atomicorp repo

wget -q -O - http://www.atomicorp.com/installers/atomic | sh

• enable the CentOS SCL repo, it has php5.4.

• It is really easy to compile a new version of PHP to install into /usr/local/bin on either Centos 6 or 7 and takes about 10-15 minutes depending on how low end your box is.

That said, on new installs go for CentOS 7.
    It takes a little getting used to because of systemd but CentOS 7 will have much newer versions of all sorts of things.

CentOS 6 will not get any general updates after 2017, only security fixes:
    https://wiki.centos.org/About/Product

• @mustafaramadhan said:
    Use IUS repo (iuscommunity.org) where we can switch between php version with 'yum replace php --replacewith=php54' (example for php 5.4).

Kloxo-MR use this repo beside some other repos for different rpms.

Yes, IUS appears to be the sexy new hotness these days.

• @fkj said:
    enable the CentOS SCL repo, it has php5.4.

There are no 32bit SCL repos. Only 64bit.

• smansman Member
    edited September 2015

@wwwcom said:
    It is really easy to compile a new version of PHP to install into /usr/local/bin on either Centos 6 or 7 and takes about 10-15 minutes depending on how low end your box is.

That said, on new installs go for CentOS 7.
    It takes a little getting used to because of systemd but CentOS 7 will have much newer versions of all sorts of things.

CentOS 6 will not get any general updates after 2017, only security fixes:
    https://wiki.centos.org/About/Product

Yes, I'll probably just reinstall everything on CentOS 7. systemd is a fairly painless transition. Didn't take that long to learn.