Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

SolusVM Container backup... important to you?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

SolusVM Container backup... important to you?

jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
edited December 2012 in General

Curious how people here about the option to create your own backups to a remote server in SolusVM. We're thinking about offering it in addition to our own backups of containers, but I'm curious how people feel about it. Any thoughts to share? Worthless due to potential of loss in event of container termination? Nice to be able to control your own backups? Don't care at all? Any issues any of you have had with this feature?

Comments

• erhwegesrgsrerhwegesrgsr Member
    edited December 2012

Worthless due to potential of loss in event of container termination?

Yep. (and hosts disappearing)

Nice to be able to control your own backups?

Yes, I would like to store my backups externally on a storage VPS

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

@BronzeByte said: Yep. (and hosts disappearing)

Precisely my worry due to the recently overly discussed issue that I won't bring up by name. This is why I've told Ryan that while I'd support doing this, it's going to potentially double our storage needs because I will still do backups outside of SolusVM.

• FWIW, we auto-enable "Quick Backup" on all of our containers, and then inform the client that they can do Quick Backups at any time. This just makes a .tar.gz of their entire container and puts it in their VPS for them to download. We've had good reception to this.

@Damian said: puts it in their VPS for them to download.

So this is subject to their allotted storage space? I've not really toyed with that previously, I just sort of glanced at it and didn't give it much thought. Funny how much time you can spend with something and still overlook the most basic features.

• @Damian Pretty sure I told you to do that a while ago. :P

@jarland I have both Quick Backup running on a cron to enable all, and central backup(remote).

Looking to add a offsite, manually deletable data backup soon. Then that will be three total backup solutions.

• We currently have this, but not integrated in SolusVM but in WHMCS. A client can create three ondemand backups and restore them (both at anytime). Weekly backups are being made and daily is optional.

All of them (who use it) are really satisfied. However, not everyone uses then. We mostly make backups on a weekly base for our own safety -- even though it's in the ToS the client should make backups at all times.

• NyrNyr Community Contributor, Veteran

I don't store any backups at the same provider that the server is and I think that no one who really cares about their data would do.
    It can be good as a value added feature for someone, but if you are going to need extra storage for that, I think it isn't worth the increased costs.

• @Evixo, can you please let us know how you did it in WHMCS?

• I stopped doing quick-backup from the SolusVM after I failed to explain my provider how to restore it. Following their suggestion, I copied the gz file to / of new server and unzip it. The server failed to load.

• LeeLee Veteran

The only good backup is the one I hold. Not saying it's not a good option but I would not rely on it.

Thanked by 2MCHPhil ryanarp
  • Might be useful for snapshots just before the ever so fun dist upgrades. But as backup, no.

Man that's an old thread haha

Thanked by 1ryanarp
  • MassNodesMassNodes Member
    edited February 2014

rsysnc that shit

• LeeLee Veteran
    edited February 2014

@jarland said:
    Man that's an old thread haha

See I noticed this because I wondered why you would be asking that question now but I wanted to reply forgetting this is not WHT and my post count was not going up.

@W1V_Lee said:
    WHT

Did you check the offers forum?

+10 lines of signature.

• LeeLee Veteran

No, should I?

Thanked by 1jar
  • When I was with FutureHosting you could take a snapshot of your VPS (didn't use storage space from your plan). Yes it could be lost if the host disappears, but it was nice to build my VM and then just restore it how I liked it when I was testing different things (used to rebuild it a lot)

• emgemg Veteran

Yes. It would be quite valuable to me as a customer under the following conditions:

1. When and how frequently the backups run can be automatic, or managed by the customer.
    2. Backups are stored in a standard format, so that the customer can easily restore a backup to any similarly configured system at the same hosting provider or at a different and independent hosting provider.
    3. Backups are stable and verifiable. The customer should be able to confirm that the backup was run at a time when the databases were in a known stable state, and can verify the integrity of the backup data at any time.
    4. Backups belong to the customer, and the customer can move a backup at any time, to any arbitrary outside location.
    5. Backups are protected from unauthorized access. The customer controls the encryption keys, but novice customers may choose to share them with the provider for ease-of-support.

It is reasonable to assume that backup storage and outside transmission count against storage limits and Internet bandwidth limits that come with the customer's VPS. The customer must budget in these uses when specifying the VPS.