Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Any ideas?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Any ideas?

Hi, so I'm currently on a 9 month deployment, and been trying to upload my website files on all of my 3 VPS that I have, but unfortunately, JAVA is not accessible through our ship's network for private use (not military websites). I can't download putty/winscp or anything else that's accessible, or even download from SourceForge.

I tried to go through cPanel route (Thanks to @Francisco btw for helping me out), but unfortunately, it's blocked here as well. I tried to access it via VPN (used the ones that you can download via Chrome web store), but it times out.

I'm running out of options, and I just want to update my website if it's possible without waiting until after deployment, but it seems like everything that I've done so far is impossible.

Any advise regarding my situation is much appreciated. Thank you.

Thanked by 1TheLinuxBug

Comments

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran
    edited September 2015

Can you access https://google.com ?

If so, it might be possible to get an OpenVPN install running on port 443 and be fine. Reason I mention 443 is just because it's unlikely you'd be getting DPI'd.

EDIT - Doh, just noticed the comment about executables. Hrm.

Francisco

Thanked by 1netomx
  • I can but it redirects me to Google Bahrain, and thanks again for your help @Francisco.

• Never tried it before, but damn, I can't even extract the files from the zip I downloaded from the Github link @perennate

• drserverdrserver Member, Host Rep

check your PM

• perennateperennate Member, Host Rep
    edited September 2015

rgenzon said: Never tried it before, but damn, I can't even extract the files from the zip I downloaded from the Github link

I mean, someone would need to host it. There's http://www.serfish.com/console/ too, but you'd of course need to trust the host.

Edit: I guess you wouldn't need to trust the host if the SSH client is implemented in JavaScript (and verify source file hash or something), but I don't believe there are any robust implementations.

• rgenzon said: I can't even extract the files from the zip I downloaded from the Github link

No way to boot on a live CD and start a real system?

• perennateperennate Member, Host Rep
    edited September 2015

There's also a Firefox add-on, it actually does seem to implement SSH client in JS: http://firessh.net/

Source: http://lifehacker.com/5783594/firessh-is-a-browser-based-ssh-client-written-entirely-in-javascript

Thanked by 1ehab
  • No Sir @scy

• Will try those too! Thansk @perennate

• Thanks for your help @drserver

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

There's GotoSSH, which is a web-based ssh service. There are probably others.

• @perennate tried both. Didn't work either smh

• Won't even let me access the site @raindog308, plus it's having some SSL issues

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

rgenzon said: Won't even let me access the site @raindog308, plus it's having some SSL issues

Well, GotoSSH isn't have SSL issues...what I suspect is happening is that you are effectively being MITM'd by the Department of Defense. It's safe to assume they've pushed a cert to your client and they are intercepting, decrypting, and inspecting every SSL packet. Very common in large organizations and I'm sure DoD does it.

This means that yes, the DoD has your LET password if they want it. And your GMail password. And your Amazon password. And...

A lot of time, these SSL introspection products result in weird SSL errors.

Thanked by 1netomx
  • I see. Thanks @raindog308

• Can you ask an IT person on the ship?

• raindog308 said: the DoD has your LET password if they want it.

Well, as @mpkossen doesn't want to enable ssl at least for the login page, they don't need to MITM to get his LET password :)

• @Microlinux not possible, they set all of these I believe

• For everyone's awareness, I was talking to @drserver and tried the telnet / RDP route, setup a VPN for me, and he was even graceful enough to give me an acct for free, but with no luck. It still didn't work. I guess I'll just wait until we pull in, and have my domain redirect to my personal site.

Thank you all for your inputs. I don't wish to do anything illegally as this is a government owned system, and was simply looking for a simple solution to upload sites to my server, but unfortunately it wasn't simple enough.

If it's not too much too ask, I'm asking the moderator/administrator of LET to close this thread.

Thank you all again.

• As above, unfortunately it's the same in healthcare but as an administrator we do MITM SSL like @raindog308 mentioned and limit access to specific ports such as 80,443. Most other things are held in the DMZ or white listed specifically directly to the machine but I presume RDP won't work externally so you're pretty limited and I'm presuming use of your phone is out of the question (when you have signal?)

• @HyperSpeed we don't have phone signal. We only have it (if you have roaming on) when we hit ports

• rgenzon said: @HyperSpeed we don't have phone signal. We only have it (if you have roaming on) when we hit ports

That's a bummer, I presumed that'd be the case which would be expensive. Unfortunately the MoD would/I presume would be the same or similar as hospital networks. You could strike lucky and have port 3389 open which would allow you to RDP to a windows machine, which in theory could let you be completely external. Anything that poses a threat to the network is limited/closed off which will be why the likes of SSH and exe's wont run unless (I presume the MoD are using AD domain's) you're listed as a domain admin or local admin - which would be the same/similar to ours.

Sorry to hear you can't upload your site or find a bypass but they're a pretty robust system although have you tried emailing it (our email filter does stop .js even in zip's) however if it does get stopped I presume they check their email filter and let certain items through/stop other ones which may allow the likes of Fran to upload it on your behalf with instructions if he's feeling nice!

• netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran

And how do you connect here?

• If you have an account at digitalocean or scaleways try their web console to SSH in then wget stuff from dropbox?

Works for me on ultra strict NHS wifi!

Thanked by 1HyperSpeed
  • HyperSpeedHyperSpeed Member
    edited September 2015

linuxthefish said: If you have an account at digitalocean or scaleways try their web console to SSH in then wget stuff from dropbox?

Works for me on ultra strict NHS wifi!

Dropbox doesn't work for us / staff unless we specifically allow it but because I'm labelled as an admin I just gave permission to access it to myself haha #issuefixed

• mikhomikho Member, Host Rep

This might be a long shot but http://codeanywhere.net has a free account where you can connect to one of your own servers via ssh/scp.

If you are uploading html files I would try signing up for a free account and then connect to one server, copy/paste the content of the file. Then repeat for each server since the free account only allows one ssh/scp connection.

• In my head a SSH tunnel used in combination with a socksifier (= route all programs through tunnel) would prevent DPI. But of course you need to be able to run the socksifier and to open a tunnel..

• @netomx said:
    And how do you connect here?

I don't know how you want me to answer the question but it lets me access LET. Period. LET is a forum site, so I don't see any reason why the network would block it.

Thanked by 1Vita
  • @HyperSpeed thank you! I'm talking with @drserver about it, and he'd been helping me out a lot. I think that's the only way for now, then use my Gmail account instead of work e-mail that way I'd be able to send off js files, etc