Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Anyone in the market for decommissioned Hard Drives? (WD Enterprise)
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Anyone in the market for decommissioned Hard Drives? (WD Enterprise)

jonbeardjonbeard Member, Patron Provider

So I have a good size stack of hard drives that have been decommissioned, ranging from 500GB to 1TB. All of which are Black Label HDDs (enterprise).

These would need to be used for parts, as all of them either have clicking, S.M.A.R.T. or failure to recognize issues. This is drives that are out of WD Warranty (RMA not available).

Wasn't sure if anyone actually needed any for parts (if people still work on these)? Would be selling these for parts on behalf of my company. Thought I would offer here before I post these on eBay.

Thanks!

Comments

• Any offer should have a price sticked to it, isn't it? (:

• jonbeardjonbeard Member, Patron Provider
    edited September 2015

Here is what I have:

2TB WD - WD2002FYPS

500GB WD - WD5003ABYX

1TB SEAGATE - ST1000NM0033

500GB WD - WD5002ABYS

500GB WD - WD5003ABYX

1TB WD - WD1002FBYS

500GB WD - WD5003ABYX

Would like to sell the lot as a whole.

• netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran

Sell them to HDD recovery enterprises

Thanked by 1jonbeard

@netomx said:
    Sell them to HDD recovery enterprises

Do you happen to know any good ones off the top of your head?

• WilliamWilliam Member
    edited September 2015

If you have the right contacts you can resell them back to the original manufacturers (mainly in Malaysia) - Export is complicated though as private person. Payment is crap, few $ per HDD.

@William said:
    If you have the right contacts you can resell them back to the original manufacturers (mainly in Malaysia) - Export is complicated though as private person. Payment is crap, few $ per HDD.

Our distributor company in CA isn't interested much, I have tried going down this road already haha :D

• jbilohjbiloh Administrator, Veteran

Good luck with the sale Jon! Nice to see you around these parts, it's been a long time.

Thanked by 1jonbeard
  • Ebay is probably the best option, if you have a few hundred then one of the recyclers maybe interested but they'll pay pennies.

@jbiloh said:
    Good luck with the sale Jon! Nice to see you around these parts, it's been a long time.

Thanks man, it has indeed been a long time LOL! Figured after many years I would finally make an account on here :P

@MarkTurner - Yeah that was what I was thinking to... If nothing else, maybe I will turn it into a fun experiment :D

• Where would they be shipping from?

• What is your total volume of disks?

@wych said:
    Where would they be shipping from?

At our Dallas, TX facility. I have large Hard Drive tray's for shipment, so it will be secure and tidy :)

• wychwych Member
    edited September 2015

@jonbeard said:
    At our Dallas, TX facility. I have large Hard Drive tray's for shipment, so it will be secure and tidy :)

Ahhh, shipping to UK would kill it for me. GLWS.

@MarkTurner said:
    What is your total volume of disks?

Mark,

This is what I currently have available (included Model Numbers as well):

2TB WD - WD2002FYPS

500GB WD - WD5003ABYX

1TB SEAGATE - ST1000NM0033

500GB WD - WD5002ABYS

500GB WD - WD5003ABYX

1TB WD - WD1002FBYS

500GB WD - WD5003ABYX

• pbgbenpbgben Member, Host Rep

@jonbeard said:

Is that 7 disks in total?

@pbgben said:

Yes sir, that is correct.

• I would go Ebay :) If you're recycling a few hundred disks then you may get the attention of a recycler. But I think on Ebay you'll get good money

Thanked by 1jonbeard

@MarkTurner said:
    I would go Ebay :) If you're recycling a few hundred disks then you may get the attention of a recycler. But I think on Ebay you'll get good money

Hey Mark, would you suggest selling them all as a package, or separately?

@jonbeard said:
    Hey Mark, would you suggest selling them all as a package, or separately?

Individual has the highest potential of max income, just make sure to make it clear they are for PARTS... Some dbag will still manage to complain its faulty... :/

If you had the spare time, or an intern :P

Get them to strip them down and sell the shiny parts inside

• jonbeard said: Hey Mark, would you suggest selling them all as a package, or separately?

Not my area of expertise. You could talk to one of the Ebay seller assistants.

• jbilohjbiloh Administrator, Veteran

Sell each drive individually for sure.

• qpsqps Member, Host Rep

We typically send ours to be recycled.

• I need some shooting targets....

Thanked by 1jonbeard
  • Were these drives used to host customer data? They should be destroyed (physically shredded) if this is the case.

Thanked by 3hostnoob scy ucxo

@doughmanes said:
    I need some shooting targets....

Best idea yet! LOL! Unfortunately there isn't much "isolated" areas here in Dallas, and they don't take too kindly to people shooting guns in the city xD

• @jonbeard said:
    Best idea yet! LOL! Unfortunately there isn't much "isolated" areas here in Dallas, and they don't take too kindly to people shooting guns in the city xD

If you want to take a trip next door to Louisiana, I have a bunch of land, around 60 acres, we could destroy them on. Ha. I have a few new guns as well to play with. Haha. Good luck with the sale

Thought I would share a good testing program for all you Mac people out there...

Its a program called DriveDx (only $20 for registered version, highly recommend it), I have my HDD docker hooked up and I am testing these Hard Drves, here is a screenshot of what a good hard drive displays:

And here is a screenshot of what a "going down hill", also known as my Mac HDD looks like:

Very nice program though, I definitely recommend it!

• xmob said: Were these drives used to host customer data? They should be destroyed (physically shredded) if this is the case.

Yeah, if they were not encrypted and had private data you might want to be careful who you give 'em too as you currently have no way to wipe them!

• There is DiskCheckup too for Windows:
    http://www.passmark.com/products/diskcheckup.htm