Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Apt Package Manager Fails on me
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Apt Package Manager Fails on me

So, this noob installed debian 8 not long ago and I've used the installer's option of setting /var /temp /home on different partitions. Tmp=360MB home=277GB var=2.7GB.
Now, today the apt-get decided to have some fun with me saying that the partition is full, you're fucked.
Well, I've got no idea what I could do delete to get more space on /var.
Filesystem: /dev/sda5 is mounted on /var, size 2.7GB, 100% use.
Can I reformat it somehow so that I don't have to reinstall?
What else can be done?
I've done sudo apt-get clean 10 times already.

Comments

• I always thought the newbie option for user is to have single partition for everything. Why the hell do a newbie need to split the system into multiple partition, and have a little tiny merely 2.7GB var partition.

Try delete something in /var/cache/.

Thanked by 1rm_
  • sinsin Member
    edited September 2015

GM2015 said: I've done sudo apt-get clean 10 times already.

Have you tried checking /var/cache/apt manually to make sure it's clearing everything? or maybe there's some big log files in /var/log?

Use the command: du --max-depth=1 -h

in /var and see what is taking up all the space

Is there any particular reason why you chose that partitioning scheme? If possible I would just take a backup and reinstall with the Debian default of everything on /

Someone else might have some better ideas though :)

• Using MySQL? That always fills /var/lib up with shit for me.

Loads of 1.1GB mysql-bin.0000x files.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

@hostnoob said:
    Using MySQL? That always fills /var/lib up with shit for me.

Loads of 1.1GB mysql-bin.0000x files.

Why in the world are you running the binary log for anything but debugging? :P

• singsingsingsing Member
    edited September 2015

dd if=/dev/zero of=/home/varimg bs=1M count=16384 mkfs.xfs /home/varimg mkdir /mnt/varimg mount /home/varimg /mnt/varimg cp -ax /var/* /mnt/varimg mount --bind /mnt/varimg /var

Fixed. If you're lucky.

Ok, I should mention that if you're running mysql or something this is an excellent way to hose your system. But if you're not running any important services it's probably an OK quick fix. One should also put those mount commands in /etc/rc.local or something with this approach so it persist across reboots.

• @Jar said:
    Why in the world are you running the binary log for anything but debugging? :P

Debugging ;)

Not really, I just didn't know you could disable it ha

Thanked by 1jar
  • Lol. I wanted to login as root and my system froze upon logging out with the sudo user.

The system rebooted and /var went down to use

/dev/sda5       2.7G  212M  2.4G   9% /var

What on earth.

• GM2015 said: What on earth.

Sounds like something made a really large temporary file on /var. Those get cleaned when you reboot.

Thanked by 1GM2015