Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Socks proxy : ssh -ND alternative?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Socks proxy : ssh -ND alternative?

scyscy Member

Hi friends.

I'd like to use a machine on the local network as a Socks proxy. I'd like DNS requests to be proxied as well as web traffic. Some caching would be nice.

Is there any alternative to "ssh -ND port user@host"?
Any good software you'd recommend that would be secure and with low memory/cpu footprint?

Thanks!

Comments

• You should take a look at Shadowsocks.

• shadowsocks, running fine on my 64mb box

• Can someone tell me the difference between Shadowsocks and a standard SSH socks tunnel? Thanks in advance.

• Thanks, seems nice with low footprint, but seems like it doesn't do caching :)

@Nixtren: I guess it allows you to give socks5 access to someone without giving him/her ssh login - footprint might also be smaller when you have a lot of concurrent connexions.

In my case I'd have been interested in some caching, not sure yet if/how that would be possible.

• palme34palme34 Member

@scy Did you find an alternative?

• AmitzAmitz Member
    edited May 2017

palme34 said: @scy Did you find an alternative?

You like necromancing a lot, don't you? This is quite annoying, just to let you know.

• @Amitz said:

palme34 said: @scy Did you find an alternative?

You like necromancing a lot, don't you? This is quite annoying, just to let you know.

he needs some time in the kool korner

• AmitzAmitz Member