Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Transit advice - are GTT any good?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Transit advice - are GTT any good?

We're looking to bring online a new transit provider, and have had a competitive quote from GTT (formerly Tinet)... I've had one person mention their NOC / support is somewhat lacking, does anyone have any experience with GTT and have any feedback?

As a customer, would you consider the transit mix a host uses? Would you be more likely to use BHost if we used someone like Level3 instead?

Thanks

Comments

• All Tier1s currently have capacity problems to Comcast, Time Warner, DTAG and UPC - Only exception (for now) is TATA, but these ports won't last long either.

If you get L3 and Tinet at the same price i'd go with L3. Both are generally solid worldwide.

• If you get L3 and Tinet at the same price i'd go with L3. Both are generally solid worldwide.

Ah alas the price is very different, GTT / Tinet are quoting about 1/3rd the cost per Mbit compared to Level3 (maybe they should be called Level3x)

One thing I'm happy with is carriers are willing to give 10G ports nowdays without any punitive extra charges.

• Nick_ANick_A Member, Top Host, Host Rep

Performance has been solid for a while now. Support has been hit or miss at times. Just hope you don't ever run into any billing discrepancies on their end. Could take them months to figure out and resolve.

• GTT where can I start - they screw up installs, they screw up billing, they have routing problems that they deny and have no idea how to fix it.

They seem to deliver gigabit services off 1U Juniper switches with single PSU, I could continue on but I think its well known that they are horrific.

I threw out GTT from our network at the beginning of the year after they spent 3 months lying about an installation even after I took photos of their switch showing that our fibres were just laying in the rack unconnected.

• NyrNyr Community Contributor, Veteran

BHost said: As a customer, would you consider the transit mix a host uses?

Yes, but most customers don't.

BHost said: Would you be more likely to use BHost if we used someone like Level3 instead?

Nah, they had plenty of issues in my region over the years and considering their pricing that's not acceptable at all.

• Telia > GTT/Level3

• ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider

@MarkTurner depends on the case I guess. Out of GTT, NTT and Level3, Level3 were the ones who had issues with install and took the longest.

• rds100rds100 Member
    edited September 2015

One thing i've noticed that in the last few years ALL tier one providers have gotten worse than what they used to be a few years ago. And not just the tier one providers - the big providers in general. We prefer to buy transit from tier two providers now instead of tier one.

• jbilohjbiloh Administrator, Veteran

Since they upgraded their hardware in primary and secondary pops GTT has been quite good. We're happy with them in the markets we use them (LAX, CHI)

• MonsteRMonsteR Member
    edited September 2015

we have all of them bonded, That works pretty good :)Tinet ,NTT ,level 3, PCCW, China telecom

• Clouvider said: Out of GTT, NTT and Level3

NTT and Level3 are decent, professional companies. GTT are just imbeciles.

You can't run a business using a TOR switch to supply services in a primary datacentre. Its a farce.

• MicrolinuxMicrolinux Member
    edited September 2015

@BHost said:
    As a customer, would you consider the transit mix a host uses? Would you be more likely to use BHost if we used someone like Level3 instead?

If a customer is interested in a specific carrier, it is most likely because that carrier has good routes to some particular destination(s). While general performance may be better with the "premium" carriers, there really isn't one to "rule them all".

You probably don't want to deal with directly Level 3 unless you have a very large account, their customer service and support for smaller accounts is horrendous to the point that it's offensive (that being said, the network is excellent). They don't give two shits about you if you're not cutting them a very nice check every month.

• Nick_ANick_A Member, Top Host, Host Rep

rds100 said: One thing i've noticed that in the last few years ALL tier one providers have gotten worse than what they used to be a few years ago.

We've had a great experience with NTT and Telia for a while now. GTT's performance has actually improved substantially, but their support has gone downhill.

• @MonsteR said:
    we have all of them bonded, That works pretty good :)Tinet ,NTT ,level 3, PCCW, China telecom

Sorry....but does your site really have made up quotes from people at "Stratton Oakmont"....the firm that has been defunct for almost 20 years and was made famous by the Wolf of Wallstreet?

"From the start we've strive to build a community around our company so you can communicate with other like minded individuals. From the start we've strive to build a community around our. image"
    Taylor - Stratton Oakmont LLC

• @ruselabs said:
    Taylor - Stratton Oakmont LLC

We haven't added our customer reviews on our home page yet, And this is the default our designer put.