Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Multiple windows vps in e5?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Multiple windows vps in e5?

Hello everyone.

Need to create multiple windows vps in a e5 server. Will run some traffic softwares.
From your experience, how many windows 2008 server can i create and run in a ovh e5 server?

Intel Xeon E5
2x E5-2630v3
128gb ram.

Thank you for the help.

Comments

• How many can you pack on the server or are we talking quality?

• This totally depends on the configuration and if your templates has been/is going to be optimised

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider
    edited September 2015

Assuming ESX (because it makes no sense to run anything else for this) with an over commit of 1.5 and 2008's minimum ram requirements of 512mb you can get around 384

Obviously that's pretty much idle or light use, I suspect your processor will be an issue before ram in terms of number of VPS you can run and your disks better be ssd raid 0 or 10.

Thanked by 1WHT
  • The issue on Windows VPS is I/O speed. It can be mitigated with staggered boots and carefully customized Windows update policies, but disk I/O is the primary bottleneck, usually. SSD helps, and a large controller cache is required to buffer read operations. As alternative, VPS memory need to be increased to at least 2 Gb to reduce disk trashing. If the VPSs are doing a lot of traffic, the NIC may become the bottleneck. I would say that Windows 2008 is not the best choice for a high density installation. Windows 2012R2 has better efficiency.

Thanked by 1WHT
  • quantity wise : 50-60 assuming each vps has 10gb disk and 1gb ram

quality wise : 20 at most.

• optimized configuration should give you a hundred or so pretty good quality VMs but bottleneck will be NIC and disk i/o

Thanked by 1WHT
  • jbilohjbiloh Administrator, Veteran

Your bottleneck will be i/o. Windows vms need a lot of dried performance to run well.

Thanked by 1WHT