Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Tor friendly dedicated - Europe
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Tor friendly dedicated - Europe

Hi all,

I'm new to LET but I've been reading quite a bit to make sure I'm not breaking any rules by posting this.

I'm looking for a dedicated server provider who is Tor friendly. Not to run an Exit node, so don't worry about the complaints. This machine will most likely not even be used as a relay. Plans are to run a hidden service or a non-listed bridge.

Comments

• ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider

Most likely?

Thanked by 1netomx
  • linuxthefishlinuxthefish Member
    edited September 2015

Running something like this should not be an issue for most hosts!

Online.net are tor 'friendly' with quite a few relays and even some exits.

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited September 2015

234ppoe said: Not to run an Exit node, so don't worry about the complaints. This machine will most likely not even be used as a relay. Plans are to run a hidden service or a non-listed bridge.

Then you do not even need to mention Tor or anything about Tor to the host or in your request.

Also bridges are not really used that much, so don't be surprised if your bridge uses something staggering like 10GB of bandwidth... in a month.

• @Clouvider said:
    Most likely?

Yes, because I don't want to say I won't run a relay in the future.

• @rm_ said:
    Then you do not even need to mention Tor or anything about Tor to the host or in your request.

Well, it is Tor. I'm not sure if providers don't like Tor in general or the traffic that relay and exit nodes normally generate.

I basically want to make sure I'm not breaking any ToS by using it.

• Look where the others host?

https://torstatus.blutmagie.de/

Just the cheapest providers, ovh, online, hetzner, servdiscount etc. All accept Tor.

• @234ppoe i am able to provide this in Romania, if you are interesed please pm

Thanked by 1234ppoe
  • @Frecyboy said:
    Look where the others host?

https://torstatus.blutmagie.de/

Just the cheapest providers, ovh, online, hetzner, servdiscount etc. All accept Tor.

yeah, my idea was actually to stay away from the "typical" hosts. I don't like the idea of too many Tor nodes in the same locations.

• I had problems with the service of cociu with my normal Tor server

• @altenholzer said:
    I had problems with the service of cociu with my normal Tor server

Thanks for the heads up! What happened (if you don't mind explaining).

• @234ppoe said:
    Thanks for the heads up! What happened (if you don't mind explaining).

Supposedly my processes have overloaded the system but this can not be right. I think it was the traffic.

• @altenholzer said:
    Supposedly my processes have overloaded the system but this can not be right. I think it was the traffic.

What happened? Lost the server?

• If its not a exit node and if a abuse comes and you reply on it fast then we also not have any issue with this on our servers.

Thanked by 1234ppoe
  • @234ppoe said:
    What happened? Lost the server?

It must not happen again otherwise suspendet my server. I let my server now expire since. I still have 2 servers in the Tor server online.net here are going very well and without any problems.

• altenholzer said: I had problems with the service of cociu with my normal Tor server

hello , please specif , was a vps not a dedi

Thanked by 1234ppoe
  • Any provider should allow that, unless explicitly specified in the ToS or AuP..

Staying away from "typical" hosts usually also means paying more.. :( especially if you want a dedicated server.

• joepie91joepie91 Member, Patron Provider

A hidden service would not really be a problem anywhere.

I would not recommend running a relay on the same system as a hidden service (as it increases discoverability), and I would recommend just asking a host point-blank for a written/emailed confirmation that Tor relays are okay.

Then if any issues appear later on, you can simply CC the original email, and most of the time you should be fine. It also makes it easier on the host, who knows exactly where the resource usage is coming from.

Thanked by 1234ppoe
  • @altenholzer said:

Ovz or kvm from @cociu?

• cociucociu Member
    edited September 2015

@vimalware in one year only one problem i had about tor , so i thinck i locate the person , so was a openvz from the limited offer . Was a good client from 6 month but last month dont know what happened but every day abuse ... @altenholzer correct me if i am wrong

Thanked by 1234ppoe
  • altenholzeraltenholzer Member
    edited September 2015

@cociu said:
    vimalware in one year only one problem i had about tor , so i thinck i locate the person , so was a openvz from the limited offer . Was a good client from 6 month but last month dont know what happened but every day abuse ... altenholzer correct me if i am wrong

Yes it was a OpenVZ server from the Limited Edition. But it was quite a while actually good, but then got some news that I laste the system what could not be loud htop