Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What happens to you when your hosting company dies?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

What happens to you when your hosting company dies?

vtwvtw Member
edited November 2011 in General

I see that some people can spot a hosting company that will probably die. If I had a plan with such a company and it died, could I lose my data? Do I get any compensation for the hosting plan I no longer get?

Also, what are the obvious signs of such a company?

Comments

• fanfan Veteran

I guess the best thing one may find when his/her hosting company dies is he or she keeps a recent backup of the important data.

For the money part, paypal dispute or cc charge back may help.

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

Yes, you could lose your data. You should always have off-site backups.

You probably will not get any compensation. If you've paid for a month and they close a week later, you're likely out the three weeks. You could in theory sue them, but it wouldn't be worth your time.

• NickMNickM Member
    edited November 2011

Backups, backups, backups. You should always have backups with at least one other provider (preferably in a different geographical area) or on your own computer so that you don't lose data if your host kicks the bucket.

As far as compensation, it depends. If you paid with PayPal, you might be able to get your money back.

Obvious signs are brand new companies offering plans that seem too good to be true - such as $15/yr plans when they're just starting out, or 2GB plans for $7. Other things that I look for are spelling mistakes on their website, their domain's whois information (they should not be using any kind of whois privacy), and whether they're actually registered as a corporation. You can also find out if the same person ran other brands that have failed.

• @vtw said: Also, what are the obvious signs of such a company?

Lack of support (if it was good before), often downtimes, attempts to get a lot of money in a short period of time.

• You just described exactly what happended at eNetSouth :p

• @VMPort said: You just described exactly what happended at eNetSouth :p

EnetSUCK

• @VMPort said: You just described exactly what happended at eNetSouth :p

I wonder how long VMPort will last :D

• Ouch, the cheek :P I just renewed 3 of our 6-month contracts so where going to at lease see our first birthday haha.. Which is more than some can say.

• haha :)

• @DanielM said: I wonder how long VMPort will last :D

Better be awhile lol. He seems like his head is on straight so he should be okay.

• @vtw said: I see that some people can spot a hosting company that will probably die. If I had a plan with such a company and it died, could I lose my data? Do I get any compensation for the hosting plan I no longer get?

Any hosting company has the potential of dying, or suffering some type of catastrophic failure. Doesn't matter if it's a $1/month or $100/month plan. You should have:

1. Backups
    2. A contingency plan

So that when you get up tomorrow morning and find everything dead-in-the-water you can do something about it, independent from the failed host.

• What happens when my VPS provider fails? I restore from backups to one of my many spare VPSs which all have the capacity to absorb all the services off of any other VPS. (except for my minecraft server)

• I would suggest to avoid this, choose providers who have been in business for more than 1 year and has a decent track record. As for data, you should always keep a backup for yourself. As far as money is involved, you should paypal dispute it, though this may not be effective in some cases.

• InfinityInfinity Member, Host Rep

@VMPort said: so where going

Grammar! It's meant to be we're ;) No offence lol.

• Pfft :P

• InfinityInfinity Member, Host Rep
    edited November 2011

@VMPort said: Pfft :P

LOL yeah, don't worry. I'm really rubbish at English Lang and Literature, I'm getting C's D: I was predicted A*s. Hopefully I can get atleast a B or A.

• backup backup backup clients responsibility especially with the price of the leb's.
    there are no tell tale signs if you ask me what if all is well but host doesnt pay lease on server straight away the server is gone i would only choose hosts who own hardware. Im sorry but any provider who only offers leb's in my opinion is probably destined for the deadpool leb's should only be used to fill excess space not to build a business on

IMHO :p

• drmikedrmike Member
    edited November 2011

edit: Images work fine for me. If anyone is curious, I hopped over to McDonalds as I remembered two issues that I have to deal with after I left Panera.

• SSDNodesSSDNodes Member, Host Rep
    edited November 2011

It falls upon the client to have an offsite, backup and archival location that’s completely separate from your primary provider. Even if a provider is backing up your data, you should still have an offsite location (even if it’s a desktop server at home that runs rsync backups daily).

• @SSDNodes said: a desktop server at home

Desktop server, hmmm....

• @sleddog said: Desktop server

I like to see server on my desktop

• @tux said: I like to see server on my desktop

You should see my laptop server.

• @Kairus said: You should see my laptop server.

I guess I'm not the only one who uses a old laptop as a server. It's great for downloading stuff all night and keeping months worth of full backups done daily.

• sleddogsleddog Member
    edited November 2011

@dmmcintyre3 said: I guess I'm not the only one who uses a old laptop as a server. It's great for downloading stuff all night and keeping months worth of full backups done daily.

Not your only backups I hope :)

I don't trust old harddrives for anything. Hardware yes, but not drives. I'm in the process of building a firewall/router with an old P3-500 Teamstation using m0n0wall. Boots from CD, stores the config on a flashdrive, passive CPU cooling. No harddrive, and just one fan (in the PSU).

But I don't keep it on my desktop :)

• @sleddog said: Not your only backups I hope :)

I did in the past, but now I have backups on the 500gb external, some on the 40gb internal, and multiple VPSs.