Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Iptables FORWARD (NAT port 8080 on external IP to internal LXC IP)
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Iptables FORWARD (NAT port 8080 on external IP to internal LXC IP)

scyscy Member
edited September 2015 in Help

Hi

I'm experimenting with LXC, and trying to forward the traffic sent do the external IP on port 8080 to an internal IP on port 80 where nginx is listening.

It works if I set policy ACCEPT for the Chain FORWARD and then:
iptables -A PREROUTING -i eth0 -p tcp -m tcp --dport 8080 -j DNAT --to-destination 192.168.XX.XX:80

Fine. But is it secure to have ACCEPT as the default rule for FORWARD? I don't feel good.

I tried different ways to make this NAT work with DROP as the default for FORWARD but without success so far. Could an Iptables Guru help me?

If I keep ACCEPT as the default, and try then to create a rule in the filter then drop other connections it doesn't work and I don't understand why.

iptables -A FORWARD -i eth0 -p tcp --dport 8080 -j ACCEPT
iptables -A FORWARD -j DROP

Anyone can help?

Thanks a lot!

Comments

• FrankZFrankZ Veteran
    edited September 2015

Try adding

iptables -A FORWARD -m state --state ESTABLISHED,RELATED -j ACCEPT
    iptables -A FORWARD -i eth0 -p tcp --dport 8080 -o venet0 -j ACCEPT
    iptables -A FORWARD -i venet0 -o eth0 -j ACCEPT
    iptables -A FORWARD -j REJECT

EDIT: You were forwarding the inbound, but not allowing the outbound connection from the VM to get forwarded back out with the below.

iptables -A FORWARD -i eth0 -p tcp --dport 8080 -j ACCEPT 
    iptables -A FORWARD -j DROP

I just saw that you are using LXC of which I am not familiar so change the venet0 above to the appropriate interface.

Thanked by 1scy
  • I think you are forwarding traffic to port 80, therefore that would be your --dport on the forward command.

• FrankZFrankZ Veteran
    edited September 2015

Your

-A PREROUTING -i eth0 -p tcp -m tcp --dport 8080 -j DNAT --to-destination 192.168.XX.XX:80

is fine.

Thanked by 1scy
  • Thanks FrankZ!

Will keep on experimenting, but so far even allowing the traffic on the inbound it doesn't work. I use a bridge interface (br0) and each LXC server has it's own interface too on the host. I'll try differents things and share the result here once I've been able to get that setup working with the ability to finally REJECT or DROP at the end of my FORWARD ruleset...