Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Windows 7 x64 - No Outgoing Ping?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Windows 7 x64 - No Outgoing Ping?

FFFlipFFFlip Member
edited November 2012 in Help

Fresh install, been ages since I've used 7 as my main OS and my google fu is failing me, DNS resolves, admin prompt, ping times out.

No firewall.

Anyone got a clue?

Comments

• Pinging what exactly?

Output of "ping google.com -t" results in Time outs?
    How are you connecting to the router / internet? Wireless or Ethernet?

Strangely enough, I had a case where one of my dutch friends had a dodgy router where everytime he would "ping" his router would just shut down and reboot.

• FFFlipFFFlip Member
    edited November 2012

@eastonch said: Pinging what exactly

What else would I mean by ping?

It's not the router. Anyone else?

• You never really answered my questions.

• fanfan Veteran

Try tracert google.com and see where the * starts to appear.

• FFFlipFFFlip Member
    edited November 2012

First one was idiotic and the second is irrelevant.

@eastonch said: You never really answered my questions.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
    edited November 2012

@FFFlip said: What else would I mean by ping?

From our end we have to rule out the obvious, that what destination you are pinging isn't the problem. Always have to start with the easy one. Since we don't know you, we can't assume you've ruled out the little things. That's just good troubleshooting technique.

• @FFFLip

Sorry?

First one wasnt idiotic at all. as @jarland just confirmed.

The second question, quite important, what about if your Wireless adaptor is on the fritz? Or the driver isnt fully on there everybody knows windows is a bitch with random problems like this.

You've asked for some help, accept the help you're getting. It allows for another user to see what you've answered and make an informed response. You're not going to get a simple "click this button" and it all works (well... you might!).

• Well I apologise but I thought the original post was clear enough that I may have a bit of a clue.

• @eastonch said: First one wasnt idiotic at all. as @jarland just confirmed.

So ping is used elsewhere exactly? Come on, spill it.

FFS, should have kept my mouth shut, just close this.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
    edited November 2012

@FFFlip said: So ping is used elsewhere exactly?

Breakdown in communication. You're saying that you are pinging, we don't know what you are pinging. As we don't know you, you could literally be typing "ping" and saying "It doesn't work." Clarification is required. Can you verify that "ping google.com -t" times out? Or provide a brief list of maybe 3 websites that you can't ping yet you can visit? Calm down brother ;)

Also uninstalling and reinstalling the network adapter could have an effect, if everything else checks out. Bypassing your router could be a good test as well (nevermind you covered that). Do you by chance have wifi and an ethernet adapter? You could swap to the other and see if the problem persists. Just trying to spark any ideas you may not have thought of, I've not specifically had this issue.

• Rule out a windows mess up, get a Virtual Box (if you can?) and install a ubuntu build on and run a ping on the terminal there.

Same result? Sounds like the adaptor is broken.

Different result? Windows is messed up, did it install properly? Is there any updates for your ETH or Wireless?

Which by the way, you still didnt tell us if you're running wireless or wired. (Possibly a driver fault by the native windows one on your mobo/network card. And the same for a wireless card / device).

• Can you ping your default gateway?

• @dirk said: Can you ping your default gateway?

His answer to 'What are you pinging' was 'What else would I mean by ping?'

His knowledge is to great for us, so he has decided to leave this thread.

• Wow. You do need help don't you now.

• Why bother helping someone who acts like this?

• Should we asked him to install Teamviewer and try another ISP? :D

• @Dirk that was my next step.

Ask him to ping his local card (127.0.0.1) then his default gateway gathered by (ipconfig).

Any fails at the LAN area would suggest a broken adaptor.

• @FFFlip said: Anyone got a clue?

Sorry. No clue found

• @FFFlip 'So ping is used elsewhere exactly? Come on, spill it. > FFS, should have kept my mouth shut, just close this.'

What a cock!