Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Adding second Denver location soon. What would you like to see?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Adding second Denver location soon. What would you like to see?

What would you like to see in a new location opened by us? I am looking for some feedback on services that you would like to see setup, that are reasonable to offer :) Currently finishing IP justification for Level3, the test IP is currently 4.34.49.20 I have a couple new R415 Dells with 128GB of RAM to setup, and wanting to see if LET can nudge me in a particular direction.

Comments

• Singlehomed L3 is shit. In so many ways.

• TACServersTACServers Member
    edited September 2015

Also going to have Centurylink as well, however L3 will be the preferred route. Do you have a test IP that I can take a look at?

• I thought it was pretty crappy you guys jumped from ViaWest to Single Homed Level3 with less than 24 hours of notice. That says to me you were getting evicted or not paying your bills.

• jbilohjbiloh Administrator, Veteran

Level3 is a pretty good network. You cannot deny that they are one of the better global carriers.

Thanked by 1inthecloudblog
  • have you considered changing your name so that you aren't incorrectly associated with TACVPS ?

Thanked by 1lbft
  • KuJoeKuJoe Member, Host Rep

@ruselabs said:
    I thought it was pretty crappy you guys jumped from ViaWest to Single Homed Level3 with less than 24 hours of notice. That says to me you were getting evicted or not paying your bills.

They still have a few cabinets in ViaWest last time I checked. They switched locations so they could upgrade the clients to Gig ports which is a huge upgrade over ViaWest even if single homed (not knocking ViaWest's network but the network throttling was noticeable at times).

• simonindiasimonindia Member
    edited October 2015

@TACServers said:
    What would you like to see in a new location opened by us? I am looking for some feedback on services that you would like to see setup, that are reasonable to offer :) Currently finishing IP justification for Level3, the test IP is currently 4.34.49.20 I have a couple new R415 Dells with 128GB of RAM to setup, and wanting to see if LET can nudge me in a particular direction.

1Core Cpu

Any Visualization

128M,256M,512M,1G Ram

5,10,15,20,30 HDD With (Snapshot) Important feature

NAT IPv4 with IPv6 /64subnet

Addon to buy Dedicated Ipv4

500GB BW

12 to 15 $/year

Just my Idea for people who want to Learn linux and mess with configured server

@TACServers Congrats on New location

• maybe something for $15/year with dedicated ipv4 :D

• jbiloh said: Level3 is a pretty good network. You cannot deny that they are one of the better global carriers.

Not singlehomed - Level3 links to major EU ISPs are overloaded (UPC, DTAG) and their routing to Asian ISPs without LAX presence (so anything outside HK, SG, CN and surrounding) is utter crap.

• KuJoeKuJoe Member, Host Rep

@William said:

Level3 within the US is pretty damn good though and being that Denver is basically in the middle of the US I think these VPSs are targeted more for US clients. I don't think any combination of carriers in Denver can compete (latency-wise) with a California VPS for Asia-based clients or a New York VPS for Europe-based clients.

Thanked by 1OnraHost
  • @KuJoe - You are correct. We are not trying for superb international connectivity from the Central US, just amazing connectivity locally. Denver is a low risk for natural disaster as well, among other things. Even with the best mix of carriers, there is 30+MS added over coastal locations.

@William - I would love to work in the Euro and Asian Market, however, I'd rather run services local to the targeted demographic. If I were to expand into those markets, I will have servers local to the population. Did you manage to come up with a test IP so that we can see just how horrible Level3 is for you?

@JoeMerit - We were here before TACVPS, I am not changing our name because someone wanted to ruin their reputation, as well as destroy their own company. I would just buy the brand if it were for sale.

@ruselabs - Sorry you were not happy with the move. ViaWest BW is EXPENSIVE. I'd rather still have a profitable company over continuously eating the costs of everyone using their VPS to the fullest capacity possible. When a sale added 30 clients that were well on their way to using 1TB each, it wasn't a matter of being able to pay the bills, it was a matter of being economical. Bandwidth directly from the provider is approx 10x cheaper. I appreciate your concern, and I am glad we not only still have the location that you were moved out of, as well as our new location. With some of the DC moves posted around here, I was proud of the fact we had less than an hour downtime total for the whole move. Most were down less than 20 minutes.

@jbiloh - It's certainly not Single-homed Cogent or HE :)

@shell @simonindia - Low cost, NAT VPS's under $20 a year are coming sometime soon.

• jbilohjbiloh Administrator, Veteran

William said: Not singlehomed - Level3 links to major EU ISPs are overloaded (UPC, DTAG) and their routing to Asian ISPs without LAX presence (so anything outside HK, SG, CN and surrounding) is utter crap.

I would never advocate for single homing to any 1 network, regardless of quality.