Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What ticket response time do you expect?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

What ticket response time do you expect?

VPNshVPNsh Member, Host Rep
edited November 2012 in General

Hey guys,

Obviously LET is based around budget, un-managed solutions, but just wondering what you guys think is a reasonable response time for tickets? Obviously this will vary hugely between the smaller providers to places like Linode, but just curious as to what others think is reasonable :)

Comments

• PacketVMPacketVM Member, Host Rep

2-4 hours.

• bamnbamn Member
    edited November 2012

I consider where the company is located and think 1 - 4 hour response during normal business hours is acceptable. If I wanted under 1 hour response, I would may for managed hosting for the better response :)

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

1 hour if the issue is significant and there is has been no announcement about it. Anything else I'd say 6-8 hours is fine. Not speaking of my own record, only personal expectations.

• Depends on what the ticket is about. If my VPS is down/unuseable due to the provider's fault i expect <30 minutes. If i just want to have a kernel module enabled i don't mind waiting 24 hours.

• No more than 12 hours.

• Sales depending on the area the provider resides would be 7am - 7pm and normally during that period 15-20 minutes max.

tech support 2-4 hours would be about correct

• faster = better or not always :)

• Tech I wait up to 12 hours before getting antsy about it

• @qhoster just cause dewlance answers questions in 3 minutes doesn't mean it is the right answer./

• exactly :) you can set it to be scripted and get some dummy answer in 1 min. Like buycpanel is doing. Then you are waiting for 14 hours something to happen ... :) SO it is fast vs. helpful

• 24 hours usually unless its something important (e.g. Server Down qualifies as "IMPORTANT").

• I usually wait up to 12 hours before complaining. If no one's available within 12 hours, the host probably isn't into it.

For our own company, our response time goal is less than 20 minutes. I make charts like this:

Which help me understand where we're succeeding at that goal, and where we're deficient. Right now, American night-time is kicking our butt.

• KuJoeKuJoe Member, Host Rep

I think 0 Hour(s) and 22 Minute(s) is a good average. :P

• tsantentsanten Member
    edited November 2012

Like @24khost said a quick answer will not make me happy if my problem remains.
    I think the right question is whats the time to solve or identify a problem
    Usually 30 minute i wait

• VPNshVPNsh Member, Host Rep

Agreed, it depends on the issue. For something simple like enabling TUN/TAP (before it could be done in SolusVM) I wouldn't expect long at all, and I think it really goes to show that sometimes you can wait long periods of time for simple solutions :/

• I would put it this way if problem is solved in12 hours that is fine. Some ppl like to respond with question so even if they respond fast there is no fast solution.

• Within an hour is best for most things which for me usually revolves around my VPS not being online.

• 4 hours within business hours for sales questions and 1 hour for technical support (24/7). With technical support I mean real hardware or network failure.

• LeeLee Veteran

Certainly within 30 minutes if it's something serious otherwise within 24 hours.

• For companies providing VPS services I expect a response within 24hrs.
    For companies providing Dedicated services I expect a response within the hour.

• PatrickPatrick Member
    edited November 2012

I would be happy as long as it's answered same day / 24 hours for basic questions and help on unmanaged services, if VPS / services are down and such then I would expect something in minutes or a announcement at least

• Since it's 24/7 support that we offer, I aim for it to be real 24/7, which would be within 2-3 hours for most things. Urgent matters then ASAP. This is what we try to offer unless there are urgent delays. Average response time right now is quite low.

As a consumer I would expect the same - not offering 24/7 support and replying once per day during their timezone (which I've seen).

• @Damian How did you make that?

• @SimpleNode Might be this converted to graphs:
    http://whmcsaddon.com/products/response-time-pro

^Very good nevertheless and you can see average and show it to your customers as well

• @SimpleNode said: @Damian How did you make that?

Querying WHMCS tables (WHMCS' database architechture is brain-damaged, btw) for the info, then putting into a http://jpgraph.net/ graph. Let me know if you're interested in the PHP script.

• < 30mins is what I'm used to from previous providers, Low End providers seem to be more around the ~12 hours mark. Although a few have been fairly responsive (BuyVM, Ramnode).

This is something I'd love to provide benchmark data around. But we did have a previous discussion on the pros/cons of that.

• alexalex Member
    edited November 2012

I'm waiting for answers with K-Disk (aka Urpad people) for nearly a month. small but importand things, yet they failed to give me any answers

anyway, I find anything below 1 hour for acknowledging the fact I opened a ticket as very satisfactory, I always hope for the resolution taking less than 6 hours

• @W1V_Lee said: Certainly within 30 minutes if it's something serious

I would rather fix the problem in those first minutes instead of answering tickets asking about it

• 0-2 hours if it's during business hours.

• Nick_ANick_A Member, Top Host, Host Rep

@serverbear said: < 30mins is what I'm used to from previous providers, Low End providers seem to be more around the ~12 hours mark. Although a few have been fairly responsive (BuyVM, Ramnode).

Yeah, I typically freak out if I don't reply to a ticket within 2 hours. Just my own standard, not necessarily what the entire low end sector should be shooting for.