Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Just a warning to providers: "TV streamers" / WBOT
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Just a warning to providers: "TV streamers" / WBOT

bamnbamn Member
edited November 2012 in Providers

Folks, somehow, are rebroadcasting satellite TV from Dish, content from WWE and other video content streams onto their site from the official stream provider.

Many of these site owners use VPS servers, including some they believe are "offshore". If I was a provider right now, I would specifically prohibit it in your TOS/AUP right now because it's about to become a problem like the file download sites / WBOT (script that reuploads warez to all the free file upload sites) folks.

Definitely have a clear, defined bandwidth policy too :)

Comments

• I guess every hoster will already have a "do not violate copyright" clause in their ToS.

@bamn said: Definitely have a clear, defined bandwidth policy too :)

What exactly is a bandwidth policy? User buys VPS with 500GB traffic, VPS is disconnected after using 500GB traffic. What should a "bandwidth policy" say about that?

• NyrNyr Community Contributor, Veteran

That's simply another manner of copyright infringement, no need to change any kind of TOS/AUP.
    There are so many uses for high bandwidth servers, no sane provider will reduce their bandwidth offer simply to fight pirated video streaming.

• bamnbamn Member
    edited November 2012

Removed because hosting customers were taking this literally rather than in the correct context, derailing the discussion.

• @Nyr said: no sane provider will reduce their bandwidth offer simply to fight pirated video streaming.

Never suggested that so no idea where you're coming to that conclusion from.

• What if the consumption of that 500gb in less than a week affects your other customers?

Then you, as a provider, did something wrong.

• than you oversold your committ by alot!

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

@bamn said: What if the consumption of that 500gb in less than a week affects your other customers?

Equal concern over heavily utilized VPN, torrents, tor, etc. Despite all of the above running in Denver I can usually burst pretty close to the capability of the line (notice I don't say port speed.....Cogent).

• @bamn said: What if the consumption of that 500gb in less than a week affects your other customers?

Then you maybe should review your overselling policy

• NyrNyr Community Contributor, Veteran

@bamn said: Never suggested that so no idea where you're coming to that conclusion from.

Because you are speaking of having "a clear, defined bandwidth policy too". And as @Amitz said, 500 GB in a week is nothing for any provider.

• I'm leaving the discussion as this: I gave you guys a head up about something that I have noticed that is common going on where I work and I don't care about your suggestions since I did not ask for them but I appreciate everyone's little 2 cents here.

Just trying to help out the smaller providers who are going to scratch their head when these goons play the shell game shuffle from provider to provider.

• @bamn While I do appreciate it. I do have to say there is really no way to stop them unless your violating thier privacy.

@bamn said: Just trying to help out the smaller providers

Thanks for the heads up. I'm not sure how to identify them though, probably just have to wait for complaints.

• As a note, this type of content is in fact legal in some countries (notably Spain)

• @jarland said: Thanks for the heads up. I'm not sure how to identify them though, probably just have to wait for complaints.

If there is like NFL or MLB or something being streamed, you will be inundated in complaints within minutes lol

• @bamn said: I gave you guys a head up

Thanks for this!

• ztecztec Member
    edited November 2012

Some of these things you mention are still legal in a lot of EU countries.

"rebroadcasting satellite TV from Dish" Is probably illegal though.

I own a site that indexes these sites, which is still legal in the place I hosted it.

• @justinb said: If there is like NFL or MLB or something being streamed, you will be inundated in complaints within minutes lol

MLB was one of the streams being broadcasted and we did get a complaint about it.

@jarland since they are taking the stream from the content person, there's really no way. I keep an eye on hostnames and this guy had "watchtv" in his hostname*. The WBOT guys look like a torrent box seeding with large amounts of upload.

*Note: this is not his WHOLE host name so save me from a "breached your customer's privacy" junk. Go file a EU privacy complaint on me if you feel it's necessary.

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

@Amitz said: Then you, as a provider, did something wrong.

+1
    If 500 GB in a week puts a strain on the network, then the network is really weak.
    I can pull 500 GB on my home connection in a week.

@Maounique said: I can pull 500 GB on my home connection in a week.

Lucky. I can too, but only if I want them to charge me the price they'd make up on the spot, which would probably be $200/GB over 150GB. Love/hate relationship, I'm not bitter I promise.

• craigbcraigb Member
    edited November 2012

@jarland see, you're just jealous of our terrorific caps ;)

• Funny how an abuse discussion gets into bandwidth discussion

Good ol' Low End Derailing will never let you down

• @bamn said: Funny how an abuse discussion gets into bandwidth discussion

Implying you weren't the one who brought it up in the first place

• @gsrdgrdghd said: Implying you weren't the one who brought it up in the first place

I was dragged into it by you derailers

Anyone want to talk about new ways of abuse they have seen from a provider perspective?

• Wbot seems like a pretty annoying script, why would they pay $150,- for it is for me a mystery...

• bamnbamn Member
    edited November 2012

@gsrdgrdghd said: Implying you weren't the one who brought it up in the first place

I was dragged into it by you derailers

Anyone want to talk about new ways of abuse they have seen from a provider perspective?
    (Nice way of saying derailers, kindly go away)

@ztec if you're caught off caught as a provider, support tickets flood in quick because the WBOT guy has 20 connections going to all the upload sites and you're scratching your head because it's not incoming or DDoS.

• @bamn less derailing in the providers category where this clearly belongs ;p

• Tries to care.... Can't... whoops.

• @craigb said: @bamn less derailing in the providers category where this clearly belongs ;p

Forgot this piece of crap web app acts like something early 1990s and not a fully featured forum

• @bamn said: Forgot this piece of crap web app acts like something early 1990s and not a fully featured forum

Maybe you should leave this "piece of crap" then?

• @gsrdgrdghd said: Maybe you should leave this "piece of crap" then?

Umm.... This.