Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

HP RAID Controller - Virtual Drive Issue
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

HP RAID Controller - Virtual Drive Issue

serverianserverian Member
edited November 2012 in General

This is the screen I get when I boot the server:

And this is the UI of the controller:

I've not replaced the disks. I'm not sure what it means. Anyone understands anything from this?

Comments

• Looks like a RAID Card failure to me, do some sort of disk consistency check through a bootable ISO.

Also looks like it's only picking up 3/4 drives, and it's shouting that your "bay 4" has an error, and or, is a replaced drive, but when the assignd physical drives is reporting bay 4 being active... I'm not sure.

Deffo got a problem with one of your drives, or the raid card using the drive.

• pcanpcan Member
    edited November 2012

I never used the HP Smart Array, but on a similar controller this could happen when the server is mistakenly turned on during service, after some drives are removed or disconnected. The RAID controller marks the drives as missing or failed and write this information either on internal non volatile memory or on the remaining disks of the array. When missing drives are reinserted, the RAID controller ask before putting them online again. Putting online the previously missing disk drives could result in data loss, on some circumstancies. Lets say we have a Raid 1 (mirror) array. Yesterday, someone disconnected disk 0. The RAID controller carry on working using disk 1 only. Today, disk 1 is disconnected and system halts. Someone turn off the server, put back in place disk 0 and disk 1, then restart the server. If we re-enable the disks, the RAID controller will restart the mirror operation and will overwrite today data (disk 1) with yesterday data (disk 0).

Edit: I checked the HP web site; the P410 controller has Dynamic Sector Repairing. On some controllers (and maybe also HP) this feature can put a disk offline when the number of bad blocks is higher than a treshold, even when the disk is not used or lightly used by the operating system. The first disk can go offline and the array still works, then after some time the second disk drops, then the third, and finally the RAID controller marks the virtual drive as failed. You definitely need to be careful before re-enabling drives, if you want to try recover data.

• mikhomikho Member, Host Rep
    edited November 2012

Have you had something installed before on the server?
    Asking because if this is a new server and this is the first time oyu boot it, theres old data from previous owners on it :)

The raid card picks up that there are data in the cache to be written to the logical drive (when it becomes available).

Your logical drive has failed, but the raid controller now finds that the drives that previously were failed are now in a good state or has been replaced.

since its 3 out of 4 disks that have been marked as failed, the controller puts the logical drive as disabled so that you will have to make the decisions manually to enable it and possibly have dataloss because of the many failed drives.

I've seen this in alot of Z400 workstations, using the HP recommended RAID card (not P400)... I would say that if the disks are fine (no hardware failure on them) then you should be ok to enable the logical disk without the loss of any data.

• Likely caused by a failing drive.. have you checked the SMART reports for the drives?

• mikhomikho Member, Host Rep

@Dustin said: Likely caused by a failing drive.. have you checked the SMART reports for the drives?

If you check the screenshot it says that 3 drives has been in a failed state but no longer is.