Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

transfer a complete vps
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

transfer a complete vps

sandozsandoz Veteran
edited November 2012 in General

is there a way to transfer a vps with f.i. rsync to a new vps someshere else?
it has 30Gb data on it, and i bought a new one. That data needs to be transferred to the new node
Thats not only /home, but basically everything

Comments

• tar czvpf --exclude=/backup.tgz /backup.tgz /*
    scp it to /backup.tgz on the new vps
    cd / && tar vzxf /backup.tgz

• You are wanting a copy of it with OS and all? You need to get the provider to dump your container and send you the file.

• they both run debian 6, i'd prefer an exact copy, but i don't know if thats possible on 2 running systems
    i asked @urpad @ftnchris if they could transfer my luxembourg vps to their offer in the LA DC, but they don't :(

• @sandoz said: they both run debian 6, i'd prefer an exact copy, but i don't know if thats possible on 2 running systems

i asked @urpad @ftnchris if they could transfer my luxembourg vps to their offer in the LA DC, but they don't :(

Then you need to just configure everything once again, and transfer files over.... or offer to pay them to do this for you.

• @Corey said: Then you need to just configure everything once again, and transfer files over.... or offer to pay them to do this for you.

Or another option: create your own personalized setup script for all virtual machines (you can customize one of the many already-built scripts floating around: search for lowendscript, minstall, minimal, etc.). Once you go through this somewhat painful process once and then stick to installing everything from this script only (as opposed to installing stuff and changing settings from the command line), re-creating your virtual machines again / moving things around should never a problem.

Just a thought.

• @jan: Yeah but he's asking for this right now, not in the future.

• Shame your provider won't do a vzdump for you... This thread might help: http://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/6206/complete-backuprestore-of-vps#Item_10

• @HalfEatenPie said: he's asking for this right now, not in the future.

Yep. It will take some time to create the script. On the other hand, if @sandoz spends a few hours on this to properly think this through, he'll have an extensible solution for years to come...

As @corey said, sandoz could simply ask somebody to do the full transfer (and clean up the possible resulting mess) as a paid gig. Or maybe somebody could just create the setup script for him as a paid gig and then transfer just the data...?

• CoreyCorey Member
    edited November 2012

@jan said: As @corey said, sandoz could simply ask somebody to do the full transfer (and clean up the possible resulting mess) as a paid gig. Or maybe somebody could just create the setup script for him as a paid gig and then transfer just the data...?

No I was suggesting he offer to pay the provider to do this for him since they have root access to the node.

• @Corey said: No I was suggesting he offer to pay the provider to do this for him since they have root access to the node.

OK, got it.

• already started a manual transfer..

• In other threads people have also recommended blueprint (supposed to reverse engineer all of your installed packages and settings and stuff)

• This should work:

rsync --exclude=/etc/fstab --exclude=/boot --exclude=/proc --exclude=/lib/modules/ --exclude=/sys -e ssh --delete --numeric-ids -avpogtStlHz / root@newserver:/

When the rsync is done, you'll need to re-configure your IP on [newserver] and reboot.

• You never mentioned what kind of virtualization it is. Depending on the manner of backup you can obtain, something like openvz can be extremely easy to migrate from one location to the next (same is sometimes true of xen/kvm), if the target is the same vitalization. Course requires the help of the provider at the destination (source can sometimes by done with a self-backup in solusvm).

the main thing to make sure of in a situation like that is to make sure SSH is listening on all interfaces, so that when it's booted up at the new location you can still SSH in and tweak up the rest.

Otherwise I would just tarball your home folder and settings, set up the new location clean, SCP it on over and unpack. (transfering a single tarball or two is much faster than rsyncing a bunch of files that don't need to be checked for age).

• RobertClarkeRobertClarke Member, Host Rep

It really depends on what you're using as a virtualization, the methods above for rsyncing your files should work though.