Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Time for some BGP questions
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Time for some BGP questions

singsingsingsing Member
edited August 2015 in General

1) Why do you need an ASN to advertise, even if you are on two or more networks? Can't you ask both of the networks you're connecting to to put you in their BGP (i.e., use a private ASN to BGP with each?). Looking at the whole thing with disputed address ranges, it looks the Internet doesn't care that addresses are being advertised by more than one ASN, and picks the closest route in that case, just what you would want anyway. See about origins of 46.51.105.0/24 below:

http://research.dyn.com/2015/04/ipv4-address-market-takes-off/

2) If it's just a policy thing that you need as ASN to advertise to multiple networks I would be interested in knowing the RFC or other origin of the policy.

3) Once you have an ASN, can you use it for different networks that are disconnected from each other? (i.e., different ranges would be advertised for each different network). Basically, while I know you can get additional ASNs for additional networks if they are "autonomous" from each other, is there a -requirement- to do so?

Comments

• 1.: You can use a private ASN, also for multihoming - It is just not recommended, your AS will not show up as source or last asn in bgp route and makes no sense as RIPE ASNs are now essentially free and available for everyone.

3.: No policy requirement and not required technically either - i use one ASN in many countries. BGP breaks down routes by prefix anyway.

• William said: makes no sense as RIPE ASNs are now essentially free and available for everyone

So one can use a RIPE ASN in U.S.?

Also, how does "essentially free" mesh in with their $2000 (euro) new member fee? Is the way it's done is by looking for a LIR to work with on getting an ASN number?

• patrick7patrick7 Member, LIR

Yes, you can use RIPE ASNs wherever you want. If the policy allows that is another thing.
    A LIR can request an ASN for you. For the LIR it's free. It's up to him if he charges you for this service.

• singsing said: Also, how does "essentially free" mesh in with their $2000 (euro) new member fee?

ASNs are free to any LIR, most just charge a setup fee of 100-200EUR. I do it for 100EUR one-time usually.