Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

LXC, chroot or other compartmentalization on OpenVZ?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

LXC, chroot or other compartmentalization on OpenVZ?

ultrakommultrakomm Member
edited November 2012 in Help

Hi!

I'm trying to create different compartments/containers/environments for different functions on my OpenVZ VPS. The reason for this is that if one fails, everything will not fail.

Is there any decent and elegant solution for this? Or should I simply use different VPS:s for different purposes?

Comments

• UML should work.

• @ultrakomm get a 2nd vps and use as hot standby. Unless your running non-prod software, more likely to get hit by a node issue (sluggish performance or outage) than a single service failure on your vps. What services are you looking to stand up?

• @rds100 said: UML should work.

Not on OpenVZ

• ultrakommultrakomm Member
    edited November 2012

I'm looking to run a few Mercurial repositories, RhodeCode, do some Python development and testing, and running a few of those developed Python applications. Basically.

• @ultrakomm virtualenv provides good separation between python environments from a namespace perspective. Run services under daemontools for restart on fail and you're set

• @ShardHost said: Not on OpenVZ

Why exactly? It is completely user space. All you need is a tun/tap device for the uml networking and a patched tunctl because persistent tun devices are not supported under OpenVZ.

• @rds100 said: Why exactly? It is completely user space. All you need is a tun/tap device for the uml networking and a patched tunctl because persistent tun devices are not supported under OpenVZ.

Apologies. Seems my comment was based on old experiences.