Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

urpad deems all its clients as SPAMMERS and blocks port 25
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

urpad deems all its clients as SPAMMERS and blocks port 25

epaslvepaslv Member
edited August 2015 in Providers

All our VPS with urpad have been down for the last 12 hours, unable to receive any mail.

I got this response

==
Hello,

The port 25 has been blocked because we are cracking down on spammers 10-fold. We took the precaution because spamming is a big issue. Please let us know what you use the VPS for and we're happy to unblock if it's all legitimate.

Thanks.

I too hate spammers, but blocking inbound port 25 globally with no prior warning?

Thanked by 1karjaj

Comments

• It seems like you can open a ticket with them to get the restriction removed.

• Getting them to open it is simple. Just send a request. This is becoming more common. Especially with the lower end providers. I must admit. I've done it in the past. Tickets are simple to open, dealing with spam is not.

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

URpad is still around? I had service with them, they were pretty good for the price.

• epaslv said: blocking inbound port 25 globally with no prior warning?

Damn, man. Not sure if it's more disturbing that they are blocking -inbound- SMTP or that they gave no prior warning. What spammer has an M.O. based on waiting for inbound SMTP connections? What's so difficult about e-mailing your clients to let them know about radical network policy changes?

• Yea, URPad is still flowing. Funny, it's the first hosting business that my business partner Brian Oliver, II built back in the day.

• @singsing said:
    Damn, man. Not sure if it's more disturbing that they are blocking -inbound- SMTP or that they gave no prior warning. What spammer has an M.O. based on waiting for inbound SMTP connections? What's so difficult about e-mailing your clients to let them know about radical network policy changes?

Ha, I completely missed that part!

• wychwych Member

XFS_Duke said: What's so difficult about e-mailing your clients to let them know about radical network policy changes?

He did, but sent it from a VM he had already blocked ;)

Thanked by 1howardsl2
  • @wych said:
    He did, but sent it from a VM he had already blocked ;)

Youuuuu fakerrrrrrr. Haha. I just checked their TOS and there is nothing in it that states that they automatically block port 25. Baddddd on their part. Well, in this case, URBad URPad!

• Yeah its the fact that there was no communication about this and how it was implemented. Their TOS has nothing about this. I even asked their support if there were any network issues and they replied that there were no network issues, so it was handled very unprofessionally.

They require justification and a description about what each VPS is doing and I have sent that, see what happens next

• So here we go.

They deem that I am a spammer and all 8 of my VPS's are all sending SPAM. Zak from their support department said that I have been caught SPAMMING and I am a SPAMMER.

Jeff, from support acknowledged that they have implemented blocking of port 25 on their entire network.

I take therefore, that anyone who has VPS with them has become become and instant SPAMMER.

• wychwych Member

@epaslv ask them for proof?

• Another update.

Their support advised that two of our IP's are listed on http://www.nosolicitado.org/query.xba and I need to get the IP's removed or they will terminate the VPS under their TOS. (now they are becomming abusive)

When I examine the link, it says

The ip 209.148.89.88 is part of a Class C network listed in NoSolicitado.org

This means that several of your IP neighbours or you are sending massive spam, if you are sure that your server is not sending spam and has not been compromised, consider another hosting provider or datacenter, as Class C network removal is almost impossible, in the meantime, seek help from your datacenter in order to stop spam coming for this class C

So the whole class C is listed, but they are putting the blame on me, without any evidence.

• @wych said:
    epaslv ask them for proof?

I have, but they have chosen to ignore that one

• HBAndreiHBAndrei Member, Top Host, Host Rep

So if anyone can get the port unblocked by submitting a simple ticket, then what's the point in blocking it in the first place? I'm quite sure spammers can also submit tickets... unless there's more they ask you to do in said tickets afterwords.

• LeeLee Veteran

Since RLT bought URPad their prices have not been what I would consider attractive to spammers and they rarely have deals. I expect then that they are trying to move out those on the older annual packages that were a regular feature on LET.

• @Lee said:
    Since RLT bought URPad their prices have not been what I would consider attractive to spammers and they rarely have deals. I expect then that they are trying to move out those on the older annual packages that were a regular feature on LET.

So that may be it.

Treat your customers like shit, just make up stuff like "you are all spammers" , set them up so that they break your TOS, cancel their service, do not refund.

Thanked by 1Maounique
  • MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

@epaslv said:

What's the point in buying urpad then? At least try to hike prices, see if someone is left instead of making sure they leave no matter what.
    Not that URpad had much hardware and stuff, so the buy out was for the customers.

• LeeLee Veteran
    edited August 2015

They bought URPad quite some time ago now, I suspect that perhaps the spammer ratio is too much of a burden to manage for the price points of old.

They should have given some advance warning this was coming and provided it was a reasonably well managed process to get it unblocked it should have been fine. They are not the only ones to block 25 like this.

Of course it appears to be not so well managed from what has been posted.

• Maybe they're getting shook down by Spamhaus too

• HassanHassan Member, Patron Provider

@epaslv said:
    All our VPS with urpad have been down for the last 12 hours, unable to receive any mail.

I got this response

==
    Hello,

The port 25 has been blocked because we are cracking down on spammers 10-fold. We took the precaution because spamming is a big issue. Please let us know what you use the VPS for and we're happy to unblock if it's all legitimate.

Thanks.

I too hate spammers, but blocking inbound port 25 globally with no prior warning?

We had to do the same thing a couple weeks ago. It honestly is a constant battle with spammers and I do not blame them whatsoever. With us there was some tension with the datacenter as well.

• adxnadxn Member, Host Rep

at least they are not asking you to pay a $50 charge to unblock those port!

Be thankful!

• They should probably block outbound 25 on their own mail servers.

Too much spam.

Thanked by 1Peroni
  • Mine is still working, able to send and receive email.

Mine located at Houston.

• When are people going to learn that urpad is not worth it.

• So they've basically rebranded to:

UrPad
    Where UrMail Is UrProblem

Thanked by 2XFS_Duke geekalot
  • NyrNyr Community Contributor, Veteran

nosolicitado.org is a crappy blacklist that no one should be using anyway.

• jbilohjbiloh Administrator, Veteran

I didn't even realize these guys were still in business. I thought root level went under after a series of bad buyouts including urpad.

• LeeLee Veteran

jbiloh said: I thought root level went under after a series of bad buyouts

We were hoping the same for CC, but oh well. :P

Thanked by 2Peroni ihatetonyy
  • UrDNUrDN Member
    edited August 2015

@epaslv said:
    Another update.

Their support advised that two of our IP's are listed on http://www.nosolicitado.org/query.xba and I need to get the IP's removed or they will terminate the VPS under their TOS. (now they are becomming abusive)

Yes, that's another of the spamhaus trash kind. If your provider cares about that then you should switch to another one as profit is probably for them way above ethic.

• jbilohjbiloh Administrator, Veteran

Lee said: We were hoping the same for CC, but oh well. :P

You'd miss me! :)

Thanked by 1Lee