Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Orange Pi quad core ARM board now from $15+shipping
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Orange Pi quad core ARM board now from $15+shipping

rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran

SoC – Allwinner H3 quad core Cortex A7 @ 1.6 GHz (likely 1.2 GHz instead) with an ARM Mali-400MP2 GPU up to 600 MHz

System Memory – 1GB DDR3
Storage – micro SD card slot (up to 64GB)
Video Output – HDMI with CEC and HDCP support, AV port
Audio I/O – HDMI, AV port, on-board microphone
Connectivity – 10/100M Ethernet
USB – 3x USB 2.0 host ports, 1x micro USB OTG port
Camera – CSI Interface
Expansions – 40-pin Raspberry Pi compatible header with 28 GPIOs, UART, I2C, SPI, PWM, CAN, I2S, SPDIF, LRADC, ADC, LINE-IN, FM-IN, and HP-IN
Debugging – 3-pin UART header for serial console
Misc – IR receiver; Power button; Power and status LEDs
Power Supply – 5V/2A via barrel jack (micro USB OTG cannot be used to power the board).
Dimensions – 85 x 55 mm (vs 93 x 60 mm for Orange Pi 2)
Weight – 38 grams
Runs Debian, Ubuntu and Rasbian: http://www.orangepi.org/downloadresources/

Ordered myself the "full" set with a case and PSU, paid $28.43 for everything, shipping included. Not $15, but still very cheap for a quad core board.

Comments

• scyscy Member

Nice board, though SATA would have been great!

• scyscy Member
    edited August 2015

linuxthefish said: The Plus version has sata

Thanks. Nice little board.

Better CPU but less RAM than a cubietruck. But open source design. Those will be nice when available second hand for a few bucks!

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

At this time I can pick up eeePCs with screen working at 20-30 Eur and they are x86.
    That board might be a bit better CPU wise, though I doubt, but many of those EEEPCs have a few GB of SSD too.

Thanked by 1vimalware
  • SpeedBusSpeedBus Member, Host Rep

Hmm can anyone confirm the HEVC/H265 support on this board? iirc Mali-400 does not do HEVC/H265.

• Maounique said: At this time I can pick up eeePCs with screen working at 20-30 Eur and they are x86.

That board might be a bit better CPU wise, though I doubt, but many of those EEEPCs have a few GB of SSD too.

These boards were not born with the idea to replace the PCs. You buy these for a different reason - like making something embedded, or a small media player, or something that needs GPIOs.

• NekkiNekki Veteran

Why do they append the names of all of these boards with 'Pi'? It's a bit unethical really.

Thanked by 2jemaltz netomx
  • rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited August 2015

SpeedBus said: iirc Mali-400 does not do HEVC/H265.

Mali-400 is just a GPU and has nothing to do with video decoding: http://www.cnx-software.com/2013/12/10/most-embedded-gpus-do-not-support-hardware-video-decoding-acceleration-the-vpu-does/

The video engine (VPU) in Allwinner H3 on the other hand does [claim] to support HEVC/H.265: http://www.cnx-software.com/2014/12/08/allwinner-h3-4k-ott-tv-box/ & http://www.allwinnertech.com/plus/view.php?aid=504

• @Maounique said:
    At this time I can pick up eeePCs with screen working at 20-30 Eur and they are x86.

Where from?

edited August 2015

0xdragon said: Where from?

Second hand.

rds100 said: These boards were not born with the idea to replace the PCs. You buy these for a different reason - like making something embedded, or a small media player, or something that needs GPIOs.

I know that, but how many people here buy them to make something with GPIO?
    As for media player... My N270 atom can decode HD movies with a bit of tweaking, even does complicated tracks full of automation in LMMS.
    If you need something GPIO, right, but nobody I know personally got those boards for something like that.

• NekkiNekki Veteran

Maounique said: I know that, but how many people here buy them to make something with GPIO?

As for media player... My N270 atom can decode HD movies with a bit of tweaking, even does complicated tracks full of automation in LMMS.
    If you need something GPIO, right, but nobody I know personally got those boards for something like that.

I think this is the thing - the Raspberry Pi is built with educational purposes in mind, so it was deblierately build in a way to facilitate creating embedded devices.

Everyone else has just seen how much other people love the original as a media player or miniPC, so are just creating more powerful versions that focus on those uses.

• @rm_ d@mn you :P
    Just bought one, so now 3 Raspberry Pi's, 1 x Odroid-C1 and now this, i going to run out of uses for them soon.

• Maounique said: If you need something GPIO, right, but nobody I know personally got those boards for something like that.

Don't know you personally but we have some GPIO in use :)

One relay board (8 channel) for LEDs in the living room - One relay (2 channel) as door opener and soon a wireless adapter for light in the entire flat

Thanked by 2Maounique netomx
    edited August 2015

Nekki said: the Raspberry Pi is built with educational purposes in mind, so it was deblierately build in a way to facilitate creating embedded devices.

The Cubietruck or Cubieboard (both with a dual-core ARM at 1 GHz) make a nice Debian desktop for light web browsing, or for logging in into a more powerful machine with VNC/RDP. It is completely silent and consumes 4 watts. Educational-shmeducational, these can and do replace PCs in certain situations, at least if you set your expectations right (that it won't be overly fast in something like Firefox or Libreoffice, and won't run Flash, for example).

A quad-core with a higher frequency, this board should be only better, we'll see what to do about the lack of SATA, after all there are USB to SATA HDD enclosures and convertors.

• SpeedBusSpeedBus Member, Host Rep

rm_ said: Mali-400 is just a GPU and has nothing to do with video decoding: http://www.cnx-software.com/2013/12/10/most-embedded-gpus-do-not-support-hardware-video-decoding-acceleration-the-vpu-does/

The video engine (VPU) in Allwinner H3 on the other hand does [claim] to support HEVC/H.265: http://www.cnx-software.com/2014/12/08/allwinner-h3-4k-ott-tv-box/ & http://www.allwinnertech.com/plus/view.php?aid=504

Ahh, neat, will pick this one up then :D

• @Maounique said:

The power draw is a ton more though, even without the screen attached the battery is only like 6 hours new while 6x 18650 cells (the same as the larger eeepc battery pack) lasts my pi for almost a full day at quite heavy CPU use!

• miaumiau Member
    edited August 2015

@Nekki said:
    Why do they append the names of all of these boards with 'Pi'? It's a bit unethical really.

Because it is made by Chinese company?

• Bookmarked. Thanks!

edited August 2015

@linuxthefish said:
    The power draw is a ton more though, even without the screen attached the battery is only like 6 hours new while 6x 18650 cells (the same as the larger eeepc battery pack) lasts my pi for almost a full day at quite heavy CPU use!

My main desktop PC is an E450 no fans, no video card, supports 8 GB and can play games as the onboard video is pretty good. Of course, old ones, silent hunter series, lineage 2 from time to time, etc.
    With many disks (3-4) 3.5" takes some 35 Watt, without does not reach 30 even in full load. It has a power source i stopped the fan of, because it almost does not heat up.
    Sure, it is still 10 times more power or so than a board like that, but it is a real PC, I even run VirtualBox on it.
    An EEEPC without the display lit takes less.

edited August 2015

netomx said: I just feel ripped :(

You could have posted this as a new thread yourself, then. I for one never visit "The Cest Pit", and if you're curious I initially found out about this offer from http://mysku.ru/blog/discounts/34073.html

Thanked by 2Sentinel netomx
  • netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran

rm_ said: You could have posted this as a new thread yourself, then

It wasn't meant to be like that. I was joking :P

Thanked by 1Maounique

Now you are admin, leave others do the dirty work :)

Thanked by 1netomx
  • xyzxyz Member

Really attractive offer!

I'm going to hold off for now, in the hopes that boards with ARM64 CPUs show up. If ARM is going to make a bigger splash in servers, it's bound to be ARM64 based, so would be good to have one to dev/test on.

• KuJoeKuJoe Member, Host Rep

I have the Orange Pi Plus but I haven't been able to get it to boot since I got it last year. I even bought the power adapter from the same seller as the Orange Pi. The case was also a total PITA and extremely fragile but that's about all I can report on it. For what it's worth I can't get my Banana Pi Pro to boot either.

The RPi2, ODroid C1, C1+, and U2 have been extremely fun to play with and work on though. :)

Thanked by 2vimalware netomx
  • how's the rpi2 compared to odroid ones?

last time you said the pi had smoother thin client experience and a better out of the box wifi.

KuJoe said: The RPi2, ODroid C1, C1+, and U2 have been extremely fun to play with and work on though. :)

• KuJoeKuJoe Member, Host Rep

@GM2015 said:
    how's the rpi2 compared to odroid ones?

last time you said the pi had smoother thin client experience and a better out of the box wifi.

I prefer the ODroid C1+ now since I switched to Remmina (I think that's the name) for the RDP client. Just as smooth as on the RPi2. I also bought an eMMC card to replace the SD card for faster disk IO which is noticeable and I bought a ODroid branded WiFi adapter so now I don't have any issues with wireless either.

The RPi2 is reliable though, it works every single time with any monitor/TV I plug it into. With the ODroid I need to edit the boot configs sometimes to manually set something to get it to work on some of my monitors and TVs.

The ODroid U2 is pretty impressive for such an amazingly small device. I've been wanting to run benchmarks and reviews for all of the new devices (including the PINE64 I pre-ordered last month) but being unable to get the Banana Pi or Orange Pi to boot have been the only thing stopping me pretty much. I think it might be the HDMI cables, monitors, or the OS images I've been trying.

Thanked by 1Lm85H4gFkh3wk3
  • what os are you running on the devices?

KuJoe said: The ODroid U2 is pretty impressive for such an amazingly small device. I've been wanting to run benchmarks and reviews for all of the new devices (including the PINE64 I pre-ordered last month) but being unable to get the Banana Pi or Orange Pi to boot have been the only thing stopping me pretty much. I think it might be the HDMI cables, monitors, or the OS images I've been trying.

• Do any of these small ARM boards actually work with vanilla Linux distros? If I have to rely on the manufacturer for updates i'll either never get any or they might be backdoored