Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

700 GiB of disk space for a day
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

700 GiB of disk space for a day

Hi,

I need about 700 GiB of disk space for a temporary backup while I rebuild the RAID on one of my servers.
It should be reasonably fast (i.e. not Hubic's 10 Mbit/s up/downstream) and billed hourly (or free altogether) since I'm only going to need it for about a day.

Are there any providers that offer something like this?

And yes, I know that "RAID is not a backup either", especially in the case of local catastrophic failure. I'm planning to start keeping an offsite backup sometime soon, but that will probably be behind a home connection with awfully slow upstream bandwidth — nothing I want to restore 700 GiB over if it can be avoided.

Comments

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

Get a kimsufi.
    Alternatively, a cloud instance will do, for example, you can add multiple 200 GB disks on one instance in iwstack, there must be other ways, such as a hezner server.
    You may need 700 GB now to restore the backup, but you will need more to back up regularly, for example, look at our back-up offer:
    https://www.prometeus.net/site/acronis-baas.php
    That is a professional and expensive solution, I still think a small dedi with OVH, online.net or hezner is best for a geek.

• bersybersy Member
    edited August 2015

Vultr - 750GB storage for $0.045/hour, they have free $50 trial for 60 days.

Thanked by 1ucxo
  • HBAndreiHBAndrei Member, Top Host, Host Rep

+1 For Vultr, especially if you need it just for 1-2 days the hourly billing helps a lot with that.

• ucxoucxo Member
    edited August 2015

@Maounique said:
    Get a kimsufi.
    Alternatively, a cloud instance will do, for example, you can add multiple 200 GB disks on one instance in iwstack, there must be other ways, such as a hezner server.
    You may need 700 GB now to restore the backup, but you will need more to back up regularly, for example, look at our back-up offer:
    https://www.prometeus.net/site/acronis-baas.php
    That is a professional and expensive solution, I still think a small dedi with OVH, online.net or hezner is best for a geek.

Those are all geared towards long-term usage (with monthly billing, setup fees, etc.), so not quite what I'm looking for.

@bersy said:
    Vultr - 750GB storage for $0.045/hour, they have free $50 trial for 60 days.

That seems like an excellect option, thanks!

There's a gotcha with the traffic limit, though:

If your plan has 1000GB allocated to it, the amount of transfer per hour for overage calculations is 1000 / 672 = 1.48GB/hour. Your pending charges will reflect the overage calculated by this formula. Note: In some cases it may be less expensive to leave your instance running than to destroy it and be assessed overage charges.

In my case 700 GB / (4 TB / 672 hours) = 117.6 hours ≙ $5.31 vs. 24 hours * ($0.045 / hour) + (700 GB - 24 * 4 TB / 672) * ($0.02 per GB) = $12.20, so I'll have to make sure to keep the server running long enough when I'm done copying.

Oh, and I'm getting 90 MB/s downstream from Vultr. I guess that's settled, then. :)