Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

/proc/cpuinfo MHz
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

/proc/cpuinfo MHz

gsrdgrdghdgsrdgrdghd Member
edited November 2011 in General

Hey
i have a VPS with this kind of /proc/cpuinfo output:

[...]
processor       : 15
vendor_id       : GenuineIntel
cpu family      : 6
model           : 26
model name      : Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU           E5520  @ 2.27GHz
stepping        : 5
cpu MHz         : 250.145

Does that mean i have 16 cores @ 250MHz each or do they have 2.27GHz each?

Comments

• BoltersdriveerBoltersdriveer Member, LIR
    edited November 2011

You have 16 cores @ 250Mhz each. If it's OpenVZ, you'll have to take note of the way it allocates CPU though.

• 16 cores @ 250 MHz seems pretty uncommon (anyway i'm not happy with my provider either as they want me to upgrade from 3GB RAM@19€ to 4GB RAM@29€ just to enable TUN/TAP for OpenVPN...)

• Hmmm. I kind of thought that the numbers in /proc/cpuinfo kind of indicated a max that you could get when the box was in an idle state. Under load you are not going to be able to get what's indicated as the cpu cycles would be going to other users.

Does it vary by the virtualization? OpenVZ vs. Xen vs. KVM?

• I thought the mhz was the number before the multiplier. so your multiplier here would be 9 ?

• @exussum

I don't think the mhz is referring to the FSB,

• Try doing something CPU intensive, maybe that's with power savings on?

• LOL, I want a processor with THAT power savings..

Clocked at 250Mhz? That won't happen

• Its just strange if you times it by 9 you get a very similar numberto 2.27 ghz ?

• yomeroyomero Member
    edited November 2011

@exussum said: Its just strange if you times it by 9 you get a very similar numberto 2.27 ghz ?

No, isn't.

The number is 266, (133x2), so 9x266 = 2.27Ghz = 133x18 and is called multiplier lol

• @yomero said: The number is 266, (133x2), so 9x266 = 2.27Ghz = 133x18 and is called multiplier lol

just remind you about overclocking day isn't it? :D

• @Mon5t3r said: just remind you about overclocking day isn't it? :D

Let's do this... xD

• What's wrong with having 2.7GHZ of proc? Providers usually do not give you all of your share on one core.