Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

VPS in PrivateLayer [Switzerland]
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

VPS in PrivateLayer [Switzerland]

Hey guys and girls

I am after a low-end VPS hosted in PrivateLayer (CH)

• Ram: 512mb
  • HDD: 25GB (doesn't need to be SSD)
  • Port Speed: 100mbit (or more)
  • 2.5 Traffic/month
  • 1 x IPv4 address
  • IPv6 address/es (a must)
  • Would prefer proper vitalization, but would also settle for LXC/OpenVZ container

Budget: ~20USD per month

Would really appreciate if someone could point me into the right direction for a provider that could support those specs.

Comments

• IIRC PV CH has no IPv6 at all.

• William said: IIRC PV CH has no IPv6 at all.

Hmm, Well seems they have AAAA record on their main site, thus I assume they can provide IPv6 to their end clients.

root@box:~# ping6 -c 3 -n 2a02:29b8:2020::2
    PING 2a02:29b8:2020::2(2a02:29b8:2020::2) 56 data bytes
    64 bytes from 2a02:29b8:2020::2: icmp_seq=1 ttl=57 time=294 ms
    64 bytes from 2a02:29b8:2020::2: icmp_seq=2 ttl=57 time=293 ms
    64 bytes from 2a02:29b8:2020::2: icmp_seq=3 ttl=57 time=288 ms

--- 2a02:29b8:2020::2 ping statistics ---
    3 packets transmitted, 3 received, 0% packet loss, time 2003ms
    rtt min/avg/max/mdev = 288.019/292.129/294.591/2.925 ms

• Last i checked (2014) they did not provide IPv6 allocations to dedicated/colo - Only for their own infra.

• Sadly, their VPS Brand, CHVPS is dead. :(

• William said: Last i checked (2014) they did not provide IPv6 allocations to dedicated/colo - Only for their own infra.

Weird, well their tweet back in 2011 says otherwsie:

Not sure if they remove IPv6 since though. Well fingers cross someone might be able to point in right direction.

• NyrNyr Community Contributor, Veteran

Just curious, if you want to tell: why do you need this ISP specifically when there are far better options within your budget?

• William said: IIRC PV CH has no IPv6 at all.

I have IPv6 there for more than a 2 years.

• We can offer that for you on OpenVZ at $13 with 400GB traffic. For 2500GB the price would be $30. We also have KVM for an extra $10.

• Nyr said: Just curious, if you want to tell: why do you need this ISP specifically

We connect to a service that is hosted in that DC and is latency sensitive.

I know @Lunarvps doesnt do IPv6 in CH, but Ill contact RegVPS/legionbox as they claim to support IPv6 and fits well in my budget.

vpsnine said: We can offer that for you on OpenVZ at $13 with 400GB traffic. For 2500GB the price would be $30. We also have KVM for an extra $10.

Thanks for the offer, if I cant find anything cheaper better I will have to settle with you guys :) (assuming you do in fact have IPv6 support to your VPS serves)

• adamBB said: We connect to a service that is hosted in that DC and is latency sensitive.

@adamBB, in that case you could try looking for someone else who is hosting at the same datacenter as privatelayer is (Equinix or Interxion I believe). Metanet.ch is very good (and it's a "real" Swiss company unlike most others), but their VPS solutions start at ~ $40.

• NyrNyr Community Contributor, Veteran
    edited August 2015

adamBB said: We connect to a service that is hosted in that DC and is latency sensitive.

They don't own the DC, just rent space with Equinix. There are many other providers in the building, some with direct connections to Private Layer and sub-ms latency.

Edit: I didn't see the reply from @zeitgeist, sorry. Within your budget you have for example EDIS, which uses nine.ch, a much better ISP.

Thanked by 1Shade
  • scyscy Member

BlueVM had a node with them if you contact them they might arrange something. Was very cheap (like 25$ per year) - had been able to get a plan on one of their node there asking. Wasn't perfect but ok for the price. Us company, known to be crappy. If you prefer a swiss company maybe another provider would be better :)

Some other people have nodes there though.

• Thanks for the clarification @Nyr and @zeitgeist. I did not realise this information to start with.

Regardless I ended up going with Legionbox (as they do have IPv6 on their VPS) but if I have issues ill look into edis next time for sure.

Thanks everyone else with your help :D much appreciated!