Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Best option for internet in France
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Best option for internet in France

Hi,

I'm going on holiday to France in October and my accommodation may or may not have internet access.

What would be the best way to get connected? Is their an uncapped 3G option? What would be my best way to go about getting connected?

Thanks,

Comments

• Dude...who still use 3G these days?

• J1021J1021 Member
    edited August 2015

@cosmicgate said:
    Dude...who still use 3G these days?

lol wut? 3G / 4G is a similar situation to IPv4 / IPv6.. not everywhere or everybody has it yet.

• UrDNUrDN Member

You can't get connected to the Internet for such a short period because subscription is mandatory and there's a delay for the setup. Open AP are forbidden in France but you can find some access in McDonalds. You can also connect to people's "guest" wifi but yo would need credentials from someone who is a subscriber.

You can get 3G but the only option as far as I remember is to purchase a card from lebara.fr and it's not unlimited.

• NyrNyr Community Contributor, Veteran

cosmicgate said: Dude...who still use 3G these days?

Me. My carrier (Vodafone) doesn't sell 4G under the brand I'm using and I couldn't care less. When I reach my monthly allotment I'm limited to 128 kbps anyway.

Most people here in Spain are on 1GB/month plans or similar where 4G is not very useful anyway.

• IkoulaIkoula Member, Host Rep
    edited August 2015

Hello,

In France there is also Orange hotspots (sorry it is in french http://reseaux.orange.fr/hotspots-wifi) that allows you to use someone's internet box if service is enabled but keep in mind it is not secured.

Edit : nethermind i forgot you need to be orange customer to use orange hotspots.

If i were you i would rather call or mail the place you'll stay and ask questions about internet connection.

• cosmicgate said: Dude...who still use 3G these days?

Erh.. quite a lot of people, 4G doesn't seem to be that popular in the UK, at least most of the people I'm around are still 3G.

• Shot2Shot2 Member
    edited August 2015

@jeromeza said:
    Hi,

I'm going on holiday to France in October and my accommodation may or may not have internet access.

What would be the best way to get connected? Is their an uncapped 3G option? What would be my best way to go about getting connected?

Thanks,

Depends on where you are located, and on your intended use, obviously. Public free hotspots, paid temporary access to ISP hotspots..

In densely populated areas the most convenient/widespread option would be FreeWifi APs... all it takes is for some customer of the 'Free' ISP to lend you their FreeWifi credentials - it's primarily intended as a backup should any customer's DSL connection go down, but hey: sharing is caring ;)