Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How do you encrypt then sync your files to ANY cloud storage as secure offsite backup
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

How do you encrypt then sync your files to ANY cloud storage as secure offsite backup

On a windows computer. But if you have a solution for Linux or Mac, I am happy to hear it.

I will pay money for it , as long as it works.

I need a solution to encrypt and then sync all my files to the cloud as offsite backup.

Here are my requirements:

* Must have file versioning enabled in the cloud.

* Must encrypt locally on my computer before being sent to the cloud.

* Does not require me to create a virtual drive/folder on my external hard drive and then drag and drop files to encrypt then back up. In other words, it encrypts current folders and files in my external hard drive as I work on them. No drag and drop to a virtual drive/folder required , i.e. no Dropbox like environment.

* Preferably open source.

* Preferably no Java .

* Preferably strongest encryption algorithm used --- Perhaps Truecrypt ? EncFS ? dm-crypt LUKS ?

To quote another person: "I'd love to see a fully open-source, zero knowledge, roll your own-solution, allowing it to be hosted on offsite VPS! I think this would pretty much solve the problem of cloud storage."

What would you recommend?

Thank you very much.

TL:DR
Please recommend a solution that can encrypt then sync to ANY cloud storage of my choosing , including Tencent or Kanbox (10TB free)

Comments

• ..........So far, the most promising I have found is:

Syncany
    https://www.syncany.org/

Reviewed in
    http://blog.patshead.com/2014/09/self-hosted-cloud-storage-comparison-2014-edition.html
    September 2014

But alas it is not ready yet. Still in alpha stage.

• Right now, for your information , I am aware of these back up clients and the cloud they can sync to. Unfortunately, None of them can sync to any cloud storage of my choosing:

SyncBackPro Arq for Windows and Arq for Mac Syncovery Duplicati BitTorrent Sync Strongsync ExpanDrive CloudBerry CloudBacko Filement GoodSync Boxcryptor

I think it has something to do with the necessary use of the REST API from cloud storage. See this post.

http://support.2brightsparks.com/knowledgebase/articles/449543-limitations-to-the-rest-api-of-cloud-storage-servi

• billdouble said: Preferably strongest encryption algorithm used --- Perhaps Truecrypt ? EncFS ? dm-crypt LUKS ?

Those aren't even encryption algorithms. Besides, key size matters more than algorithm choice nowadays. 256 bits vs 128 bits is a huge difference, AES vs Blowfish not so much. Memorizing a password with 256 (or even 128) bits of actual entropy is not easy. aes-xts-plain64 is an example of an actual algorithm that is very suitable for disk encryption, supported for example by LUKS. But if you do not need a write mount then you don't need xts, and in fact your security is stronger without xts.

billdouble said: Please recommend a solution that can encrypt then sync to ANY cloud storage of my choosing , including Tencent or Kanbox (10TB free)

I'd be wary of free backup services. Yeah, maybe it's free to upload to them today. When you actually need to recover data from those backups, I wonder what they will charge or whether they will still be in business.

Thanked by 1billdouble
  • AbdussamadAbdussamad Member
    edited August 2015

You can do encrypted, incremental backups with duplicity - http://duplicity.nongnu.org/

Encryption can be symmetric with a passphrase or asymmetric via gnu gpg.

But whether duplicity will work kanbox depends on whether they support standard file transfer protocols like ftp, sftp or there is some API that duplicity can use.

singsing said: I'd be wary of free backup services. Yeah, maybe it's free to upload to them today. When you actually need to recover data from those backups, I wonder what they will charge or whether they will still be in business.

kanbox is owned by alibaba which is the largest ecommerce site in the world. they are larger than ebay and amazon combined but ordinary people in the west don't seem to know about them.

Thanked by 1billdouble
  • thagoatthagoat Member
    edited August 2015

Abdussamad said: kanbox is owned by alibaba which is the largest ecommerce site in the world. they are larger than ebay and amazon combined but ordinary people in the west don't seem to know about them.

When you log in to Kanbox, after the translation occurs, the pink disclaimer at the top warns you that the service has been discontinued. I wouldn't trust any data to them.

• Use Duplicity as suggested above. Been using it for a long time and is the best (free) option and fulfills your requirements.

Thanked by 1billdouble
  • NomadNomad Member
    edited August 2015

Seafile?

My bad, just skimmed the requirements.

• vimalwarevimalware Member
    edited August 2015

https://attic-backup.org/quickstart.html#automating-backups

For Unix-like oses ; efficient, covers all the points.

Currently only push-backup model to dumb bulk storage hosts (time4vps?)

Block level dedup ensures incremental backups require minimal data transfer.

Pruning old backups is another optional feature that works.