Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

VFM VPS for production.
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

VFM VPS for production.

Hello people,

I am looking to get a VPS (or 2) to host a few Wordpress sites for my clients. As its a very competitive market here, I need to get as good a deal possible without compromising reliability and uptime.

So, are providers like Wable, Hostus, Hostwithlinux, Vultr, Onra host recommended for production sites?

I am not looking for managed VPS, I will handle that myself. I just need good performance and reliability. Any recommendations?

Specs required :
2-4 GB memory
2-4 cores
50-80 GB disk (SSD cached at the least) with RAID 10
2 ips
Location - doesn't matter as long as the network is good.
Ability to take backups/snapshot if possible.
Price - as low as possible.

So, how should I go about it?

Comments

• bersybersy Member
    edited August 2015

Junkless said: So, are providers like Wable, Hostus, Hostwithlinux, Vultr, Onra host recommended for production sites?

Actually HostUS (they are going to) and HostWithLinux do not support snapshots to my knowledge.

Check out http://www.iwstack.com too.

Thanked by 1Maounique
  • snapshots is not a deal breaker. But what I am concerned about is reliability and uptime. 99.9% uptime and consistent performance is what I am looking for.

The few sites I am gonna host, they require a bit more resources than a normal shared hosting account but similar reliability and uptime is essential.

• bersybersy Member
    edited August 2015

LeaseWeb https://www.leaseweb.com/cloud/public/virtual-server use SAVE40 to get 40% off recurring. But the maximum amount of IP addresses available for server is 1, so you are going to have to order two VMs.

https://dediserve.com is brilliant, but a little pricey.

HostHatch (aff link) is solid and reliable too, they utilize Xeon E5-1650v2 3.5+ GHz on their SSD OpenVZ/KVM line in Amsterdam, Los Angeles and Stockholm location. Their uptime is very close to 99.9%. They charge $2 per additional IP or $5 for DDoS protected IP.

If 1.5GB RAM is OK:

HostHatch includes free RAM upgrades until September first (valid in all locations):

OpenVZ #3 (1GB RAM) – free upgrade to 1536 MB

Just go to the website and order and send a ticket for the RAM upgrade.

If you need a dedicated CPU core, take a look at Delimiter offer. You can order two and @MarkTurner will combine them together.

Vultr and HostUS are viable options too. I have nothing to say about Wable, HostWithLinux and OnraHost, since I have never used them, give the floor to others…

Thanked by 2Junkless MarkTurner
  • @bersy said:
    LeaseWeb https://www.leaseweb.com/cloud/public/virtual-server use SAVE40 to get 40% off recurring. But the maximum amount of IP addresses available for server is 1, so you are going to have to order two VMs.

https://dediserve.com is brilliant, but a little pricey.

HostHatch (aff link) is solid and reliable too, they utilize Xeon E5-1650v2 3.5+ GHz on their SSD OpenVZ/KVM line in Amsterdam, Los Angeles and Stockholm location. Their uptime is very close to 99.9%. They charge $2 per additional IP or $5 for DDoS protected IP.

If 1.5GB RAM is OK:

Vultr and HostUS are viable options too. I have nothing to say about Wable, HostWithLinux and OnraHost, since I have never used them, give the floor to others…

that is the kind of reply I am looking for. Resources can be managed. But are these providers reliable enough for production sites ? Or should I just stick to known ones like Ramnode, Linode etc ?

Any production experience/feedback for Wable, Vultr, Hostus, Hostwithlinux, HostmyBytes, openvz.io etc ? Anyone ?

• Junkless said: Wable, Vultr

Wable, Vultr are facility based in some locations, the rest of renting space/servers in someone elses datacentre.

Thanked by 1lazyt
  • @MarkTurner said:

Thanks for the info. Might prove helpful. Any recommendations/suggestions ?

• Nah, neither Wable nor Vultr rent servers - Incero/Wable colos in Dallas, Seattle and NYC iirc, Vultr shares all locations with the other Choopa subbrand Gameservers.com (which has more locations) - Formerly all 3 sub brands (Gameservers/Vultr/Constant) shared locations like Tokoy but Constant since ceased to provide VPS entirely in favour of Vultr.

• @William said:
    Nah, neither Wable nor Vultr rent servers - Incero/Wable colos in Dallas, Seattle and NYC iirc, Vultr shares all locations with the other Choopa subbrand Gameservers.com (which has more locations) - Formerly all 3 sub brands (Gameservers/Vultr/Constant) shared locations like Tokoy but Constant since ceased to provide VPS entirely in favour of Vultr.

I dont think Mark meant to imply that Wable or Vultr rent their servers. If you read it again, you will see he said that except those two, the others are renting !

• As @bersy mentioned we have a dedicated core VPS:

https://clients.delimitervps.com/cart.php?a=add&pid=176

Its $6.50/month but no snapshots as in true snapshots.

We also have a cloud as in full HA cloud with snapshots but price point is too high for this application.

DigitalOcean maybe another to look at, I believe they have snapshot functionality.

• @MarkTurner said:
    As bersy mentioned we have a dedicated core VPS:

https://clients.delimitervps.com/cart.php?a=add&pid=176

Its $6.50/month but no snapshots as in true snapshots.

We also have a cloud as in full HA cloud with snapshots but price point is too high for this application.

DigitalOcean maybe another to look at, I believe they have snapshot functionality.

Snapshot feature, while an excellent thing to have, is not a deal breaker. As I will be backing up the data remotely anyway, I can live without snapshot.

Dedicated core VPS does sound tempting. Goes to my "Consideration" list :D

• Junkless said: Dedicated core VPS does sound tempting

Its dedicated resources, so dedicated RAM, Disk, CPU. Most of the customers on it use it for things like transcoding where they don't want to get suspended for CPU over-use.

• @MarkTurner said:

Will it not be overkill for wordpress websites ?

• WordPress can eat up resources like crazy. Especially with all the boys and comment spammers.

• bersybersy Member
    edited August 2015

Junkless said: that is the kind of reply I am looking for. Resources can be managed. But are these providers reliable enough for production sites ? Or should I just stick to known ones like Ramnode, Linode etc ?

Dediserve and LeaseWeb are reliable enough as well as well-known to my mind. As for HostHatch, it depends, I would give them a chance too in certain circumstances.

As for Dediserve, you can utilize 100% CPU 24/7 as far as I know. @dediserve am I right?

Thanked by 1dediserve
  • @bersy said:

Yes, that is what he said, 100% 24x7.

@lazyt : yes it can. But the sites I am talking about, they are only spiking till 50-75% CPU with average usage all the way down to the barrel (on shared hosting accounts). RAM/IP usage is well within limits. So do you think that these sites warrant a dedicated core ?

Thanked by 1bersy
  • sinsin Member

bersy said: LeaseWeb https://www.leaseweb.com/cloud/public/virtual-server use SAVE40 to get 40% off recurring.

This one is a great deal, 2 CPU, 2GB Ram, 60GB Disk space, and 6TB Bandwidth for $5.97/month and it's been really stable for me.

• @sin said:

That is 5.97 Euros, if I am not wrong ..

• sinsin Member
    edited August 2015

Junkless said: That is 5.97 Euros, if I am not wrong ..

If you're in the US it's $5.97 and gets deployed to their Virginia location.

• 50 to 75% with normal usage spikes. One good MSN bot flood would get you shut down with many providers.

I've had 400 MSN bots hit one site all at once. Toss in the brute force bots and comment spammers and you're in trouble.

I may be paranoid but I always prefer dedicated cores for WP.

• @lazyt said:
    50 to 75% with normal usage spikes. One good MSN bot flood would get you shut down with many providers.

I've had 400 MSN bots hit one site all at once. Toss in the brute force bots and comment spammers and you're in trouble.

I may be paranoid but I always prefer dedicated cores for WP.

bots blocked by htacess before even reaching wordpress ?

• Not good for SEO at all.

• You want to block Search engine bots? Besides htaccess still uses cpu cycles.

• wait no...no blocking good bots. my bad.

• My http://drserver.net VPS is production proof

• @cassa said:
    My http://drserver.net VPS is production proof

How about Lunanode ?

• Junkless said: How about Lunanode ?

Using them for dev mostly, so I'm not sure about the uptime etc, but I've heard good things about them.

• Vultr, I would say you should be okay with since many of the other hosts here use their datacenter.

I have a Digital Ocean box running now and it is doing okay. It has not been running a real long time yet, as I did a quick move from Crissic.

BuyVM is another many people use here with great success. I have used them in the past and have no problems what so ever.

drserver is popular and definitely on my list to try out soon. Others seem to have good things to say about the company and its servers.

I have used Delimiter's dedicated servers and they are a good deal. Have had no problems and their support is professional and quick. In my experience if a dedicated is needed they would be in my list for sure.

Thanked by 1MarkTurner
  • What about BudgetVM ?

• Why not just get a delimiter server - they're dirt cheap, or digitalocean/vultr.

Thanked by 2MarkTurner lazyt
  • @bersy said:

Correct, 100% usage, no problem