Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Delimiter and Dacentec experiences?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Delimiter and Dacentec experiences?

zamotcrzamotcr Member
edited August 2015 in General

Hello,

I want to start a local web hosting service in my country.
I want to start small, hosting some friends, and start growing from there.
Since it's a small thing, I will start small too.

I would like to know the experience you may have with Delimiter or with Dacentec, since I am planning on choosing a box from them. Of course, I will have my backups offsite without a doubt. I did some tests to both networks and both are Amazing, I have less latency to Delimiter.

For the server I was thinking on a E3, with 16gb of RAM and disks mirrored.

Comments

• They're both pretty fine, just search for reviews.

Thanked by 1MarkTurner
  • There have been quite a few discussions on this already. But in a nutshell, if you want a better network then Delimiter, if you want more storage then Dacentec.

All of Delimiter's datacentres are in the main Internet hubs - New York, Atlanta, Dallas, Phoenix, Los Angeles, Seattle.

Some people prefer Dacentec's support, they are more accommodating that Delimiter. Delimiter only offers unmanaged services, so if you want someone to help you configure the server or provide management then you'll be disappointed.

In terms of equipment, Delimiter/Yomura has owned all its servers from new, so as the servers are no longer rented to corporates and the lease ends, the equipment gets used for low cost brands like Delimiter. This has the advantage that we know the history of every system from its first unpacking.

The E3 system you were looking at was a brand new (fresh out the box) Lenovo RS140. All our other systems are HP blades or HP 1U/2U servers. There is complete brand consistency.

You have already tested our network and your comment was 'Fantastic!'.

Thanked by 1netomx
  • Yes, indeed network is Fantastic! Ping is super low from my home!
    I pretty much don't need support, just hardware support, just in case of anything goes bad.

And, well, looked Yomura, they feels weird, too much mystery lol but I don't mind that, as long as data is safe and with friendly/human people, unlike automated OVH haha

• Is someone using Delimiter or Dacentec as production or just labs?

• zamotcr said: well, looked Yomura, they feels weird,

Thats often the observation! But the business has run successfully for a decade, its growing and acquiring, so its going in the right direction.

zamotcr said: I don't mind that, as long as data is safe and with friendly/human people

Data is safe, since the start we've had contingencies in place for data security. Friendly people that is 50/50, some people say they have a great experience, some people say they get terse responses.

Delimiter's support is curt at times but they are fast and efficient at resolving hardware/network issues. They are not going to write fluffy responses to you, they'll be to the point and accurate. Some people love it because they want just the facts, others hate it because they want the fluffy padding and all the 'Dear Valued Customer', 'Have a nice day, missing you already' stuff.

The upside is that they are all native English (as in the language from the Britain) speakers, all are RHCE with 5+ years commercial systems administration.

Thanked by 1netomx
  • zamotcr said: Is someone using Delimiter or Dacentec as production or just labs?

Many people use both companies in production and have done for years. Remember in our case its the same datacentre that we sell corporate services in, so the facility is well built.

• msg7086msg7086 Member
    edited August 2015

http://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/60862/

TL;DR, both are good and you won't go wrong if you go with either one. MarkTurner's comments were quite accurate about both providers. You should be able to decide by yourself now.

Thanked by 2MarkTurner netomx
  • I've had a few forums on a couple of Delimiter servers for a few months now. Fast network and I like the to the p[int replies. 100 percent uptime until a fewdays ago. Massive lightning strikes in the area messed up some of the electric. Rebooting some servers and causing a shut down of some racks. I was unlucky enough to get hit by both effects.

Thanked by 1MarkTurner
  • BG32BG32 Member

also when delimiter says its $20 a month thats only if you pay for 10 year blocks or some shiz. they dont advertise their month to month prices

• I had two outages while at Delimiter, and a rather large hickup with their support and hardware replacement times.

I'd recommend Dacentec if you want more bang for your buck, but Delimiter's network is pretty good, even if the quarterly payments are annoying.

Thanked by 2MarkTurner dacentec
  • @zamotcr said:
    Is someone using Delimiter or Dacentec as production or just labs?

I'm using Dacentec for production purposes (with over 40 servers) and they are quite stable and support is extremely quick so I would recommend them fully. About Delimiter I have no experience with using them but they seem like a good company to deal with based on their activity in LET and other reviews.

Thanked by 3MarkTurner dacentec sin
  • dacentecdacentec Member, Host Rep

We let our support, network and service speak for itself. There is no mystery that we are a part of Centrilogic and operate out of our own private facility in Lenoir, NC.

Our network upgrade and carrier remix are nearly complete.

http://mirror.dacentec.com
    http://stats.dacentec.com
    http://dacentec.speedtest.net

Thanked by 1sin
  • KrisKris Member

Variables like transit, peering, support & uplink quality will always come into play.

In my opinion, Dacentec's support quality speaks for themselves, as well as the myriad of server offerings and monthly pricing. I've had 8-12 hour setup from my experience with a few servers, still active.

I have used Delimiter as well. If you're OK with quarterly payments to a provider who has a better network for international transit, they're quite good. I'm one of the 'no real transparency on who owns the operation other than a bunch of shell companies, incorporated everywhere' paranoid people.

They have been questioned by people like me for years, and are still around. If you take the merit of their service over the lack of transparency worries like mine, DelimiterVPS / LTT / Yomura is for you, especially since you mentioned you have better latency to them.

Unfortunately, with their XO heavy network, I don't get those amazing speeds on both coasts, be it Comcast or TWC. With Dacentec's Level3 blend, I get better speeds from Dacentec than DelimiterVPS.

Once Dacentec started offering larger disks (2) + monthly pricing + my experience of better speeds to my ISP, it made sense for me to use Dacentec.

If you already have better latency to Delimiter, Mark is here and active on the boards to assist, it should really be a simple decision for you as well. No one provider is perfect for everyone.

Thanked by 1geekalot
  • Never had any issues with Dacentec and for the support and service the price is a bargain.

• DylanDylan Member
    edited August 2015

Having used both I wouldn't say either is a bad option, though my first choice would be Dacentec. Delimiter does have a somewhat better network but Dacentec's support blows Delimiter out of the water (and not just in friendliness, despite what Mark says, but competence and speed too).

• netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran

@BG32 said:
    also when delimiter says its $20 a month thats only if you pay for 10 year blocks or some shiz. they dont advertise their month to month prices

You're full of shit

• BG32 said: also when delimiter says its $20 a month thats only if you pay for 10 year blocks or some shiz. they dont advertise their month to month prices

what the hell have you been smoking?

Thanked by 2MarkTurner netomx
  • BG32BG32 Member

@netomx said:
    You're full of shit

Their "$20" servers are actually $30 per month if you pay monthly.

• @BG32 said:
    Their "$20" servers are actually $30 per month if you pay monthly.

Not true for everything, my invoice is most definitely $20/mth paid monthly.

Thanked by 1MarkTurner
  • BG32 said: Their "$20" servers are actually $30 per month if you pay monthly.

There are a variety of options including $20/month (paid monthly) servers. You are referring to a $30/month server that was discounted to $20/month if paid quarterly.

But on month-to-month servers there are systems for $10, $20, $29, $30, $39, etc paid monthly.

Thanked by 1netomx
  • netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran

@MarkTurner said:

And even that, it is $20/m if payed quarterly, not "10 year blocks or some shiz"

• I find the fake thanked by signature interesting.

• SadySady Member

I would recommend dacentec & yes all of my 3 servers with them are in production. Their support guys are pretty co-operative.

• I keep thinking about a backup rto from dacentec. Just haven't gotten around to it yet.

• @lazyt said:
    I've had a few forums on a couple of Delimiter servers for a few months now. Fast network and I like the to the p[int replies. 100 percent uptime until a fewdays ago. Massive lightning strikes in the area messed up some of the electric. Rebooting some servers and causing a shut down of some racks. I was unlucky enough to get hit by both effects.

And upss and gen ?

• @Umcookies said:

If you go to the link on Mark's signature, you see the "Limited time offer". You go on the dropdown it says "Quarterly" you click it for monthly it says Monthly $30. So I can see where he's coming from and I never buy myself from hosts who hide the price.

If you go into a restaurant and you order say Pizza a chips and the sign on the window says it's $10, you find out on the Menu it's actually $15 unless you order two, would you pay?

Thanked by 2Dylan 4n0nx
  • @zamotcr said:
    Is someone using Delimiter or Dacentec as production or just labs?

all of my US servers are with Delimiter. happy to recommend them if you want performance/price. if you want hand-holding, its not for you

Thanked by 1MarkTurner
  • Both are good, Dacentec will give you better support than Delimiter.

Thanked by 1MarkTurner
  • hawchawc Moderator, LIR

http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/4604229639

Dacentec from the UK now they stopped faffing around with their traffic management

• I have 2 production servers with Dacentec, sales department was very quick to respond (haven't needed the support department so can't comment). Servers were setup with in 8 - 12 hours each time.

I like the RTO option some of the servers have.