Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Hudson Valley Host [REVIEW]
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Hudson Valley Host [REVIEW]

Hey,
Hope you guys are doing good :)
I've been with HVH for a while now & I've to say that their Support is getting better every another day. I ordered a X3450 from GVH in October 2014 & still have that & I haven't noticed any kind of downtime as of now. I have that under my HVH account now :)
I got HVH's mail this week regarding their 25% Off recurring discount so I took another server (E3-1240) from them. I contacted Ernie over skype regarding a discount for SSD upgrade & he confirmed instantly that I'm good to order.
Here is how bench (on new server) looks like:

[root@kvm4 ~]# ./bench.sh
CPU model :  Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E3-1230 v3 @ 3.30GHz
Number of cores : 8
CPU frequency :  2428.207 MHz
Total amount of ram : 15846 MB
Total amount of swap :  MB
System uptime :   14 min,
Download speed from CacheFly: 109MB/s
Download speed from Coloat, Atlanta GA: 38.8MB/s
Download speed from Softlayer, Dallas, TX: 54.3MB/s
Download speed from Linode, Tokyo, JP: 7.45MB/s
Download speed from i3d.net, Rotterdam, NL: 9.31MB/s
Download speed from Leaseweb, Haarlem, NL: 2.16MB/s
Download speed from Softlayer, Singapore: 6.54MB/s
Download speed from Softlayer, Seattle, WA: 31.4MB/s
Download speed from Softlayer, San Jose, CA: 41.1MB/s
Download speed from Softlayer, Washington, DC: 39.3MB/s
I/O speed :  404 MB/s

IO speed on this new server really blowed my mind with this speed as this a single SSD (INTEL SSDSC2BW240A4) without any kind of cache.

Bench on the old server:

[root@kvm1 ~]# ./bench.sh
CPU model :  Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU           X3450  @ 2.67GHz
Number of cores : 8
CPU frequency :  2666.691 MHz
Total amount of ram : 32101 MB
Total amount of swap : 16367 MB
System uptime :   45 days, 20:38,
Download speed from CacheFly: 77.9MB/s
Download speed from Coloat, Atlanta GA: 40.8MB/s
Download speed from Softlayer, Dallas, TX: 109MB/s
Download speed from Linode, Tokyo, JP: 8.17MB/s
Download speed from i3d.net, Rotterdam, NL: 10.5MB/s
Download speed from Leaseweb, Haarlem, NL: 4.74MB/s
Download speed from Softlayer, Singapore: 2.91MB/s
Download speed from Softlayer, Seattle, WA: 33.0MB/s
Download speed from Softlayer, San Jose, CA: 39.8MB/s
Download speed from Softlayer, Washington, DC: 3.62MB/s
I/O speed :  80.5 MB/s

They also have control panel (integrated in their WHMCS) with which you can control power, monitor bandwidth & look for assets etc. Neither of my IPs are listed on any RBL. Have 1x /29, 1x /28 on my old server while 1x /29 yet on the new server.

I've to say that you should consider HVH if you want a cheap server :) And not to mention that Ernie will be surely helpful if you can't find something you need.

Thanked by 1IThinkUFailed

Comments

• Sady said: ordered a X3450 from GVH in October 2014 & still have that & I haven't noticed any kind of downtime as of now. I have that under my HVH account now :)

GVH or HVH?

• SadySady Member

@TheKiller said:
    GVH or HVH?

X3450 was ordered from GVH but that was resold by HVH & I also had an E3 few months ago from HVH.

• IThinkUFailedIThinkUFailed Member
    edited August 2015

@TheKiller said:
    GVH or HVH?

As he already said a server previously rented to him by GVH and now rented to him by HVH after all the Hostress, GVH, TacVPS (GVH v1,2,3) crap.

• SadySady Member

@IThinkUFailed said:
    As he already said a server previously rented to him by GVH and now rented to him by HVH after all the Hostress, GVH, TacVPS (GVH v1,2,3) crap.

Yap, I asked from tdale when it was disclosed that Hostress have hold on GVH after TacVPS if I can get that server transferred from them to HVH directly but they denied.

• @Sady said:
    Yap, I asked from tdale when it was disclosed that Hostress have hold on GVH after TacVPS if I can get that server transferred from them to HVH directly but they denied.

Which locations are these in? Your older server seems a little lacking vs the new one.

A friend of mine is dealing with @Ernie now for a server and he seems incredibly helpful and responsive.

How do you rate the support of HVH? Are they worth doing business with? How are they in dealing with network related issues (obviously if you have past experience)?

• SadySady Member

@IThinkUFailed said:
    How do you rate the support of HVH? Are they worth doing business with? How are they in dealing with network related issues (obviously if you have past experience)?

Both of those are in Dallas location, old one is in production having couple of development & production VMs which would may be the cause. Anyway this is acceptable knowing the bucks you're paying :)
    Support is pretty good & co-operative. For network, I don't have any personal experience due to no network/hardware issue so far.

• @Sady said:
    Support is pretty good & co-operative. For network, I don't have any personal experience due to no network/hardware issue so far.

Considering a new small, cheap and reliable dedicated server. Might give these guys a shot.

• ErnieErnie Patron Provider, Veteran

@Sady said:
    Hey,
    Hope you guys are doing good :)
    I've been with HVH for a while now & I've to say that their Support is getting better every another day. I ordered a X3450 from GVH in October 2014 & still have that & I haven't noticed any kind of downtime as of now. I have that under my HVH account now :)
    I got HVH's mail this week regarding their 25% Off recurring discount so I took another server (E3-1240) from them. I contacted Ernie over skype regarding a discount for SSD upgrade & he confirmed instantly that I'm good to order.
    Here is how bench (on new server) looks like:

[root@kvm4 ~]# ./bench.sh
    > CPU model :  Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E3-1230 v3 @ 3.30GHz
    > Number of cores : 8
    > CPU frequency :  2428.207 MHz
    > Total amount of ram : 15846 MB
    > Total amount of swap :  MB
    > System uptime :   14 min,
    > Download speed from CacheFly: 109MB/s
    > Download speed from Coloat, Atlanta GA: 38.8MB/s
    > Download speed from Softlayer, Dallas, TX: 54.3MB/s
    > Download speed from Linode, Tokyo, JP: 7.45MB/s
    > Download speed from i3d.net, Rotterdam, NL: 9.31MB/s
    > Download speed from Leaseweb, Haarlem, NL: 2.16MB/s
    > Download speed from Softlayer, Singapore: 6.54MB/s
    > Download speed from Softlayer, Seattle, WA: 31.4MB/s
    > Download speed from Softlayer, San Jose, CA: 41.1MB/s
    > Download speed from Softlayer, Washington, DC: 39.3MB/s
    > I/O speed :  404 MB/s

IO speed on this new server really blowed my mind with this speed as this a single SSD (INTEL SSDSC2BW240A4) without any kind of cache.

Bench on the old server:

[root@kvm1 ~]# ./bench.sh
    > CPU model :  Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU           X3450  @ 2.67GHz
    > Number of cores : 8
    > CPU frequency :  2666.691 MHz
    > Total amount of ram : 32101 MB
    > Total amount of swap : 16367 MB
    > System uptime :   45 days, 20:38,
    > Download speed from CacheFly: 77.9MB/s
    > Download speed from Coloat, Atlanta GA: 40.8MB/s
    > Download speed from Softlayer, Dallas, TX: 109MB/s
    > Download speed from Linode, Tokyo, JP: 8.17MB/s
    > Download speed from i3d.net, Rotterdam, NL: 10.5MB/s
    > Download speed from Leaseweb, Haarlem, NL: 4.74MB/s
    > Download speed from Softlayer, Singapore: 2.91MB/s
    > Download speed from Softlayer, Seattle, WA: 33.0MB/s
    > Download speed from Softlayer, San Jose, CA: 39.8MB/s
    > Download speed from Softlayer, Washington, DC: 3.62MB/s
    > I/O speed :  80.5 MB/s
    > 

They also have control panel (integrated in their WHMCS) with which you can control power, monitor bandwidth & look for assets etc. Neither of my IPs are listed on any RBL. Have 1x /29, 1x /28 on my old server while 1x /29 yet on the new server.

I've to say that you should consider HVH if you want a cheap server :) And not to mention that Ernie will be surely helpful if you can't find something you need.

Thank you for the review. I am glad you like the service we are providing. If there is anything you ever need help with we are here.

We would be delighted to be your host.

• SadySady Member

@IThinkUFailed said:
    Considering a new small, cheap and reliable dedicated server. Might give these guys a shot.

Don't wait for any more & go ahead with their dedicated server reseller :) Best thing is that you can start with 0 deposit & a single server :)

• SadySady Member

@Ernie said:
    Thank you for the review. I am glad you like the service we are providing. If there is anything you ever need help with we are here.

Welcome, I really can't ask for anything more :)

• I had a VPS with HVH a little more than 2 years ago and Ernie was very helpful and responded to tickets fast, he was also very negotiable with pricing. My VPS with them never saw a day of downtime in a span of 200 days

• I ordered their managed cpanel vps and given with both blacklisted ips.. The random load spikes are causing lots of headaches..

Thinking of canceling and going back to ramnode again..

• SadySady Member

@niceboy said:
    I ordered their managed cpanel vps and given with both blacklisted ips.. The random load spikes are causing lots of headaches..

You should contact their support, I can bet that they'll replace IPs. Not sure of load spikes as it would might be caused by applications you're hosting on VPS.

• My only thing with HVH is the association with nuggets.

• jbilohjbiloh Administrator, Veteran

@lazyt said:
    My only thing with HVH is the association with nuggets.

Jon Nguyen is not associated with hvh. :)

• @Sady said:
    You should contact their support, I can bet that they'll replace IPs. Not sure of load spikes as it would might be caused by applications you're hosting on VPS.

1. I did contact support and they said they don't have clean ips currently.

1. The load problem was brought to their attention even before hosting a single website.. They said it's fixed.. But obviously not.
  • 10/10 had some issue with abuse via one of their resellers. Ended up going straight to Ernie and had it fixed quite fast.

@niceboy said:
    I ordered their managed cpanel vps and given with both blacklisted ips.. The random load spikes are causing lots of headaches..

Can you PM me your email address or VPS IP. Id like to look into this.

• @Ernie PM'd now.

• Hudson Is Good

• agoldenbergagoldenberg Member, Host Rep

Can't go wrong with @Ernie. I've said it time and again. Great guy to do business with and always willing to strike a deal.

• Ernie offered me a refund and I said ok.

• i have 3 years vps promo from HVH [ IVS ] is vey shit

@tarek4web said:
    i have 3 years vps promo from HVH [ IVS ] is vey shit

Can you PM me some details on this? I would like to look into it.

• How cheap are we talking? Is it like quadix cheap?

• SadySady Member

@black said:
    How cheap are we talking? Is it like quadix cheap?

$30/m for X3450 (Supposedly ot had to be C2750 8GB RAM 250GB HDD but I was luck). E3 is for ~$47/m (Promo they had which was valid until 21st)

• Probably their dedicated servers should be top of the line.

Anyway my problem is solved by ernie. Thanks.

This discussion has been closed.