Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Any VPS/dedicated server providers with dedicated video card?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Any VPS/dedicated server providers with dedicated video card?

spavpsspavps Member
edited November 2012 in Help

I've searched a lot and found few and most are game servers. I have no exp on this before. What I need is some VPS or dedicated server in US, with dedicated video card, perhaps nvidia or so.

Thanks!

Comments

• Why on earth do you need a video card on your vps? Bitcoin mining?

• For a VPS, I don't it - even KVM would have issues mapping a graphics card like that.

Dedicated - sure, something like 1245v2 has one - not so powerful, but does.

Otherwise in most cases, you're looking at a custom colo. It's possible.

• Not really - unless you're thinking of running Folding@Home or something?

• @Garrett said: Why on earth do you need a video card on your vps? Bitcoin mining?

If I had to guess, I would guess bitcoin mining.

Just set that up in your garage ;)

• @MannDude not sure if this would be sustainable (electricity cost vs value of bitcoins)

• @MannDude I don't think so, since @spavps mentioned "perhaps nvidia". Everyone knows they are inferior to AMD graphics cards when it comes to bitcoin mining.
    @concerto49 Xen should work with PCIe passthrough for graphics card. Haven't tested it myself (yet, bought VT-d capable hardware just to test that, heh) but there's a lot of proof of that if you google a bit.
    Still, nobody's going to offer that. +1 for custom colo.

• amazon ec2 comes to mind. Not cheap though.

• Amazon aws offers nvidia gpu on a pay per drink basis (not cheap tho)

• thanks guys. Nothing to do with bitcoin...
    I was ask to setup a "game server" by a friend. I've read a lot and found all I need is to buy a custom server/pc then colo, which I've never did before.
    What I want to make clear is:
    where to buy a server/pc, with limited budget?
    Since it should be a pc with graphic card, where to colo?
    How to control the expense for a long term?

• Why would a game server need a graphics card? If you just want to hide your IP or something, use a VPN?

Is your friend looking at using VNC / RDP on this server to play a game?

• @spavps said: "game server"

gameservers dont need a graphic card

• Softlayer do servers with GPU's prob a bit cheaper than ec2.

• My friend wants to setup a server to run game anywhere and 24x7 for our group. Some MMO like wow does need a graphic card, although not so powerful one needed.
    @concerto49 you are right!
    @PhilND softlayer offer with 800$ per month and we cannot afford to it.

• concerto49concerto49 Member
    edited November 2012

@spavps said: Some MMO like wow does need a graphic card, although not so powerful one needed.

The WoW server itself does NOT need a graphics card. Only the clients need it. The server has things like database and processes data between clients.

If you do need a dedicated server in a data center for gaming, PM me and might be able to get you a custom solution :)

• What game are you talking about? There's no game server which needs a graphics card. Just make sure you'll download / install the dedicated server files (like Call of Duty, it had both in-game server (with does needs a graphics card) and a dedicated server option, which only launched a console).

• fanfan Veteran

You can look for some desktop CPU's with integrated graphic cards, like Intel's i3/5/7.

• When I read "dedicated video card" I just assumed cracking hashes or creating rainbow tables lol.

• weirdest request i read on let

• @Evixo I know that as a server (not client) do not need graphic card and we need to run clients.

@fan thanks, that's a good idea! I wonder if integrated card is powerful enough for multiple clients running.

@djvdorp lol, you think too much...

@concerto49 I'll pm you :)

• @spavps said: @Evixo I know that as a server (not client) do not need graphic card and we need to run clients.

So you are looking for a VNC/RDP solution for your clients to login and access the box to play the game from there? It's not going to work? The latency/refresh won't work.

• fanfan Veteran

@spavps said: @fan thanks, that's a good idea! I wonder if integrated card is powerful enough for multiple clients running.

Those integrated graphic chips are good for some lightweight games, so they won't work well with multiple heavy games IMO.

• Oh my! New OnLive about to born? This does not end well..

• Actually I need a graphics card to run a Microsoft Flight server, so the OP asking for a graphics card makes sense to me for a game server (assuming his game is like Flight).

• PatrickPatrick Member
    edited November 2012

If you read he mentioned he wants to run WoW clients, so playing Wow or probably running bots through a server and as far as I know it does need some good GPU to run the game

• My guess is gold mining

• @Evixo said: What game are you talking about? There's no game server which needs a graphics card.

There are, for example Trackmania.

• @concerto49 said: Dedicated - sure, something like 1245v2 has one - not so powerful, but does.

It is integrated gpu.

• @rds100 said: @MannDude not sure if this would be sustainable (electricity cost vs value of bitcoins)

Sure it is... if you're living with your parents rent free. :P

• @concerto49 said: So you are looking for a VNC/RDP solution for your clients to login and access the box to play the game from there? It's not going to work? The latency/refresh won't work.

I know the refresh rate would be terrible. We plan to record the screen lively and broadcast online.