Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Accessing files on HD?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Accessing files on HD?

BrandonBrandon Member
edited November 2012 in General

Situation:

I have a SSD that is currently attached to my Windows 7 laptop via a SATA to USB adapter. It shows up on disk management and all appears to be fine. However, this SSD has already been partitioned with CentOS installed on it. I am trying to figure out how I can easily recover some files on this drive to my laptop.

Comments

• Windows doesn't have drivers for a lot of the filesystems (like EXT3, EXT4) common on *nix systems.

One solution is to run linux inside of a virtual machine, and mount that drive inside of it (you can even run the CentOS you already have installed on that drive). Then, access your files via some network protocol, such as SFTP/FTPS/FTP/NFS/CIFS/SMB.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
  • BrandonBrandon Member
    edited November 2012

@Kuro said: Windows doesn't have drivers for a lot of the filesystems (like EXT3, EXT4) common on *nix systems.

Yeah this is what I thought too.

@Kuro said: One solution is to run linux inside of a virtual machine, and mount that drive inside of it (you can even run the CentOS you already have installed on that drive). Then, access your files via some network protocol, such as SFTP/FTPS/FTP/NFS/CIFS/SMB.

This is pretty much a last resort for me as I don't have any spare parts conveniently lying around.

• (insert your favorite data recovery boot cd/ISO of choice name here)

• @Brandon said: This is pretty much a last resort for me as I don't have any spare parts conveniently lying around.

Spare parts? I meant running something like VirtualBox or VMware WorkStation on your laptop.

• BrandonBrandon Member
    edited November 2012

Would like to thank JARLAND for giving me EXACTLY what I needed. Issue now resolved.

• wdqwdq Member
    edited November 2012
  • http://www.diskinternals.com/linux-reader/
    bridge between your Windows and Ext2/Ext3/Ext4, HFS and ReiserFS file systems

• If you want to recover formated disk, try filescavenger.
    Yesterday I'm having a problem with my friend usb, it's somehow locked / formated by windows 7 and can't be read from windows xp.