Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Crissic - Jacksonville location migrating to Miami
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Crissic - Jacksonville location migrating to Miami

PetaByetPetaByet Member
edited August 2015 in Providers
DATACENTER MIGRATION - SERVICE IMPACTING

Date: Saturday, August 22nd, 2015
Start Time: 5:00PM EDT
End Time: 3:00AM EDT

Description:
In order to offer better connectivity and to offer an improved level of hands-on support, your equipment is being moved to QuadraNet’s Miami facility. You should expect a total of one outage, up to 10 hours in length. Each hypervisor will be shut down gracefully at the start of the migration.

In order to minimize the risk of extended downtime, and ensure that equipment is safely and securely transported to the new facility, QuadraNet staff members will be on-site to complete this migration. The new facility is located in Miami, FL and has substantial cross-connect capacity to all major Miami internet exchanges and meet-me-rooms. If you have any problems with your connection after the maintenance window, or if you have any questions regarding the maintenance at any point, please contact our support department at [email protected].

We appreciate your understanding and patience during this maintenance and welcome all feedback.

Thank You,

Crissic Management Team
[email protected]

Well...4 days notice for such a big migration / maintenance. Guess QuadraNet can't live on the costs anymore.

Thanked by 1inthecloudblog

Comments

• sell to gvh now

• why crissic? quadranet no buy?

• gestiondbigestiondbi Member, Patron Provider

It's was easy to predict. Normal move to be honest.

Quadranet own Datacenter. Why host their service and sister company inside a competitor DC?

• ATHKATHK Member

@davidgestiondbi said:
    It's was easy to predict. Normal move to be honest.

Quadranet own Datacenter. Why host their service and sister company inside a competitor DC?

More time would be nice. Especially since they're suggesting a 10 hour downtime.

Thanked by 2gestiondbi sambling
  • LicensecartLicensecart Member
    edited August 2015

Not being funny I know it's a lowend host but come on they are a big company and want to take 10 hours to migrate to their own datacenter...?

RackSpace did it in 6 hours (if that) to box the servers, fly by plane to the new location, unpack them and set them up and they did in the correct timeframe.

Quadranet want to do it in PEAK times from 5pm until 3am... What the hell?

http://www.rackspace.com/blog/servers-take-to-the-sky-for-data-center-migration/

Quadranet is going the EIG way...

Thanked by 2neills HyperSpeed
  • wychwych Member

@Licensecart said:
    Not being funny I know it's a lowend host but come on they are a big company and want to take 10 hours to migrate to their own datacenter...?

up to

Worst case scenario?

Thanked by 1gestiondbi
  • @wych said:
    Worst case scenario?

Don't think there is a worse case the main point is in Peak hours. People with common sense would have planned it to be off peak hours.

• Can't say I didn't see this coming. Jacksonville was a good ride with Crissic, but the time has come for me to make the switch to something closer

• NyrNyr Community Contributor, Veteran

This was to be expected.

• UrDNUrDN Member

Why not a .to ? .to whois only displays the NS which is basically how any registrar whois should look like.

• Licensecart said: Don't think there is a worse case the main point is in Peak hours. People with common sense would have planned it to be off peak hours.

What's off peak though? With global buyers perhaps it is off peak for their majority of customers. Hard to say.

Thanked by 2XiNiX Lee
  • why live no migrate?

• gestiondbigestiondbi Member, Patron Provider

@neills said:
    why live no migrate?

Because they moved the hypervisor completely, not only the VM...

Thanked by 1neills
  • wychwych Member

@Licensecart said:
    Don't think there is a worse case the main point is in Peak hours. People with common sense would have planned it to be off peak hours.

During one mans peak, another man sleeps.

Thanked by 2howardsl2 perennate
  • Are there any IPV4 and IPV6 changes?

• I was surprised when this wasn't part of the welcome letter from QuadraNet.

• I dont have Jacksonville location with them, is this news only listed on their site announcements? i dont received any email yet :/

• wychwych Member

@rokok said:
    I dont have Jacksonville location with them, is this news only listed on their site announcements? i dont received any email yet :/

If you dont have a VPS in that location you probably wont get the mail.

Thanked by 1rokok
  • @rokok said:
    I dont have Jacksonville location with them, is this news only listed on their site announcements? i dont received any email yet :/

guwe juga, udah pindah ke la bbrp waktu lalu

• dustincdustinc Member, Patron Provider, Top Host

@Nodejs said:
    Are there any IPV4 and IPV6 changes?

Good question - No IPv4 or IPv6 changes will occur.

• dustincdustinc Member, Patron Provider, Top Host

@wych said:
    If you dont have a VPS in that location you probably wont get the mail.

Confirmed - thank you!

• hostnoobhostnoob Member
    edited August 2015

@UrDN said:
    Why not a .to ? .to whois only displays the NS which is basically how any registrar whois should look like.

• Justin417Justin417 Member, Host Rep

Quadranet be like...

• Was crissic colocating their own hardware? I thought they were just renting servers.

• lbftlbft Member

Is Quadranet Miami still basically shitty Cogent bandwidth to everywhere?

• UrDNUrDN Member

@hostnoob said:

I might have messed up, this comment was meant for another topic.

• InfinityInfinity Member, Host Rep
    edited August 2015

@Licensecart said:

RackSpace did it in 6 hours (if that) to box the servers, fly by plane to the new location, unpack them and set them up and they did in the correct timeframe.

Quadranet want to do it in PEAK times from 5pm until 3am... What the hell?

http://www.rackspace.com/blog/servers-take-to-the-sky-for-data-center-migration/

Quadranet is going the EIG way...

You clearly have no experience in the operations of a datacenter and server provider (I'm not saying I do either, but I've been involved in some smaller moves). Even without experience it's easy to realise that nothing ever goes to plan, so to be safe, you should always extend the maintenance period as long as you can even if the downtime will not last that long. Secondly, I don't think you've thought of everything involved in moving DC's, Quadranet is a relatively big company but doesn't have anywhere near the resources of Rackspace. It's easy to sit behind a keyboard and forget about everything that goes into physically deracking, decabling, getting the network equipment ready before, packing it into the transport, racking it again and cabling it again, all keeping to schedule, getting it according to the rack diagrams and leaving margin for errors. As for peak time, I'm sure they won't be travelling at 5pm, they still need time to derack, but there is no peak time really for Crissic customers, as they probably are all over the world, there'd be disruption at any time.

Let's also not forget that Crissic doesn't really mean much to them either, had it been a different company I'm sure they'd invest more in this move.

Thanked by 3iKeyZ dustinc alexvolk
  • @Infinity said:
    You clearly have no experience in the operations of a datacenter and server provider. Without experience firstly, nothing ever goes to plan so to be safe, always extend the maintenance period as long as you can even if the downtime will not last that long. Secondly, I don't think you've thought of everything involved in moving DC's, Quadranet is a relatively big company but doesn't have anywhere near the resources of Rackspace. It's easy to sit behind a keyboard and forget about everything that goes into physically deracking, decabling, getting the network equipment ready before, packing it into the transport, racking it again and cabling it again, all keeping to schedule, getting it according to the rack diagrams and leaving margin for errors. As for peak time, I'm sure they won't be travelling at 5pm, they still need time to derack, but there is no peak time really for Crissic customers, as they probably are all over the world, there'd be disruption at any time.

Just because I haven't worked in a datacenter doesn't mean I don't know how to manage a hosting business I did run one, I have got mates in the industry from medium business who own servers and co-locate them.

If they can't have a team in the datacenter to prepare the racks and equipment and a team de-racking and packing the servers on the other end they aren't as big as they sound.

I only know Dennis from Quadranet who is in sales, doesn't matter where the customers are, you do it in the datacenter / company time. So if you are in the USA you do it at 12am - 7am for maintenance so it causes less issues and less traffic to the servers.

• NexHostNexHost Member
    edited August 2015

Licensecart said: RackSpace did it in 6 hours (if that) to box the servers, fly by plane to the new location, unpack them and set them up and they did in the correct timeframe.

Migration same Location downtown LA took 5 hours to get everything up and running. And that was only moving 7 machines.

• rds100 said: Was crissic colocating their own hardware? I thought they were just renting servers.

Yes, as far as I know they owned the hardware, including network equipment, and IP space.

Thanked by 1rds100