Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Update regarding offers on LowEndTalk - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Update regarding offers on LowEndTalk

Comments

• how about the same thing applies to signatures? No commercial offers in signatures without approval. How about no commercial offers in your signature unless you OWN the host that the offers are for. (Cutting out all the sig spamming affiliate middlemen.)

Thanked by 1rm_
  • wychwych Member

@JoeMerit said:
    how about the same thing applies to signatures? No commercial offers in signatures without approval. How about no commercial offers in your signature unless you OWN the host that the offers are for. (Cutting out all the sig spamming affiliate middlemen.)

Have you seen 'kossen's sig?

• ya he's one of the exceptions.. he doesnt post absolute garbage in threads just to spread his links around.

• TheOnlyDKTheOnlyDK Member
    edited August 2015

@vedran said:
    What if a moderator or administrator was the part of provider group?

A mod is a mod, different than a member. A provider is still considered a member of the community. Before we introduced the provider tag, we never had a mod as "moderator, member", it is just weird.

@Lee said:
    Just for clarity, I am not your friend.

Sure dude. I always thought that an extra friend is an extra path, sorry if I offended you by being friendly.

• DalCompDalComp Member
    edited August 2015

/me monkey

Thanked by 1NeoXiD
  • ChrisMillerChrisMiller Member
    edited August 2015

This is actually a pretty good idea. It really should have been implemented a long time ago.

• NekkiNekki Veteran

30-day offer ban for those using the community offers without reading the rules.

• Nekki said: 30-day offer ban for those using the community offers without reading the rules.

First offense second offense give them a more permanent solution for a bit. People really need to start reading the rules around here. Most can't even conceive of the $7 rule anymore.

• @Nekki said:
    30-day offer ban for those using the community offers without reading the rules.

I'm going a bit easy on people right now, as not everybody either notices, or bothers to read, the announcement.

Once the daily load of PMs has subsided a bit and this has been added to the Rules and Guidelines we may start imposing penalties eventually.

Thanked by 1Nekki
  • komputerkingkomputerking Member, Host Rep

Is there an ability to display a link to this thread from the "Post Discussion" section if your account is limited? I failed to notice this in the new discussions section, and figured that my account was limited as opposed to needing to contact an admin to re-instate my ability to post in the offers section.

• @ftpit_cameron said:
    Is there an ability to display a link to this thread from the "Post Discussion" section if your account is limited? I failed to notice this in the new discussions section, and figured that my account was limited as opposed to needing to contact an admin to re-instate my ability to post in the offers section.

No.

We expect every member to take note of announcements. They're on top of the recent discussion list and marked as unread from the moment they're posted. The only way to miss it is to not pay attention or to skip the front page and go straight to the offers section.

To put it harshly: if you don't know, it's your own fault.

Thanked by 1HostMyBytes
  • shovenoseshovenose Member, Host Rep
    edited August 2015

I think we should force all members to use Bing search engine, thus allowing them to post offers.

• thanks for letting us now.

• @shovenose said:
    I think we should force all members to use Bing search engine, thus allowing them to post offers.

Bing is ugh

Thanked by 1shovenose
  • rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited August 2015

@mpkossen What about IPv6 in offers on LEB, http://lowendbox.com/blog/cloudieweb-4-50month-512mb-linux-or-windows-kvm-in-new-jersey/ has none. I thought you will require IPv6 from now on. Got 98 thanks at the moment: http://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/comment/1217197/#Comment_1217197

Thanked by 2Dylan bersy
  • wychwych Member

rm_ said: Got 98 thanks at the moment

98 99.

• mikhomikho Member, Host Rep

@rm_ said:
    mpkossen What about IPv6 in offers on LEB, http://lowendbox.com/blog/cloudieweb-4-50month-512mb-linux-or-windows-kvm-in-new-jersey/ has none. I thought you will require IPv6 from now on. Got 98 thanks at the moment: http://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/comment/1217197/#Comment_1217197

If I remember correct it was said that september would be an IPv6 month?
    Some offers had been queued formsome time and it wouldn't be fair to remove them when a post had been promised.

mikho said: If I remember correct it was said

You can click the URL provided and read exactly what was said... nothing about limiting that to September whatsoever.

@rm_ said:
    You can click the URL provided and read exactly what was said... nothing about limiting that to September whatsoever.

Changes doesn't happen over night. New received/found offers will be ipv6.
    The queue will have to be cleared before that.

@mikho are you the appointed spokesman on this issue? Because I remember asking @mpkossen, not someone else.

@rm_ said:
    mikho are you the appointed spokesman on this issue? Because I remember asking mpkossen, not someone else.

We have spoken about it among us (staff) and since mpkossen hasn't answered the last three times I've read the same question I stepped up and gave you an answer.

• LeeLee Veteran

rm_ said: You can click the URL provided and read exactly what was said... nothing about limiting that to September whatsoever.

But he later said somewhere else it would be limited to Sept as a trial or something. Can't remember where that was said but it was.

• NeoXiDNeoXiD Member
    edited August 2015

@Lee said:
    But he later said somewhere else it would be limited to Sept as a trial or something. Can't remember where that was said but it was.

Was October actually, as you can see here. He mentioned that in the last paragraph.

Thanked by 2Lee mikho
  • @rm_ I sense a certain hostility. Is that correct?

@mikho is free to provide an answer on on these matters as I tend to discuss these matters with all staff. It's quite rare that they don't know about something. I trust them to figure out themselves when it's wise for them to answer or when to defer it to me. It doesn't make anybody a spokesperson. It means we're a team and we back up each other.

mpkossen said: October will be IPv6 month

Oh I did not see that post. So you backtracked, just like many expected. Not that it's all too surprising, but still disappointing.

• @rm_ said:
    Oh I did not see that post. So you backtracked, just like many expected. Not that it's all too surprising, but still disappointing.

What I think is disappointing is the fact that you seem to have disregarded my question. So I'll ask you again: I am sensing hostility from your end. Is that correct? And if yes, what make you so hostile?

mpkossen said: What I think is disappointing is the fact that you seem to have disregarded my question.

Because it's irrelevant to the discussion at hand.

So I'll ask you again: I am sensing hostility from your end. Is that correct? And if yes, what make you so hostile?

I'm simply asking concrete questions, and now I got the answer, thanks.
    You seem to be trying to turn this into some sort of a conflict or a personal argument, I wonder what for.

Thanked by 1bersy
  • rm_ said: Because it's irrelevant to the discussion at hand.

I don't think so. I think it's very relevant. And the fact that you don't seem to want to discuss it even more so.

rm_ said: I'm simply asking concrete questions, and now I got the answer, thanks.

I think I asked a concrete question and you seem to be ducking it.

rm_ said: You seem to be trying to turn this into some sort of a conflict or a personal argument, I wonder what for.

Don't turn this thing around to be about me. I'm not out for conflict, just for a healthy discussion between to people. So far, you're the one ducking the questions. This is yet another reason I think there's hostility from your end and I genuinely wonder where that's coming from.

Thanked by 2Peroni ucxo
  • @mpkossen it's just him, he's grumpy towards everything :)

Thanked by 1Peroni
    edited August 2015

mpkossen said: hostility from your end and I genuinely wonder where that's coming from.

If you're genuinely curious...

I was personally promoting that "50 thankies" thing in multiple IPv6-related IRC channels. Several people from there signed up on LET back then, wanting to cast their vote. We were running a countdown in #lowendbox, "35... 37... 40... 42... just 8 more, go go go!" And then we all celebrated when it finally hit 50. Like a small victory that we achieved together. Of course there were posts from naysayers, "@mpkossen will get removed if he does this, he'll not be allowed to ban CC offers". Personally I didn't believe that'd be the case, not with the strongest possible wording of the original post. But in the end, despite the post getting twice as much votes as requested, it all turned out to be in vain. Just a proof that miracles do not happen.

Thanked by 1alexvolk
This discussion has been closed.