Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Thoughts on showing RAM / CPU usage on status page
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Thoughts on showing RAM / CPU usage on status page

So I'm trying out a few different providers of status pages for my services and I was curious what everyone's thoughts are on a status page that shows a node's cpu/ram/and load average?

Personally my thought process says thats a bad page to show as it would show any attackers the effects of any type of attack they are executing. Something more like a simple was host up/down page would suffice.

Comments

• SSDBlazeSSDBlaze Member, Host Rep
    edited August 2015

Hmmm, I've seen status pages showing load averages and uptime but never CPU / RAM usage.

I don't think it can make the nodes more vulnerable but I suppose there's a chance it can help out attackers. Interesting though :)

• hawchawc Moderator, LIR

I think something like
    https://gyazo.com/22edaf97d096bc8ca0da3800a3a53525
    does the trick. Shows uptime (which is the only thing that needs to be shown)

• I would think an hourly cron job that syncs resource usage to your web server would do you better -- that is, if you know how to code a bit in PHP and BASH.

• Well I'm trying out StatusCake and NIXStats NIXStats is the one that shows RAM / CPU / Load though I like them both idk.

• SSDBlazeSSDBlaze Member, Host Rep

I use StatusCake and its been very good. Gets the job done :)