Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Hostodo blocking port 25...
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Hostodo blocking port 25...

agentmishraagentmishra Member, Host Rep

i got this email

============

As you may or may have not have noticed, many of our IPs have been placed on Spamhaus's blacklist. We received an influx of orders from a highly agressive spam group and are working on getting rid of every instance of spam from our servers. We have a zero tolerance policy for spam on our servers and are currently sweeping through our VPS list and disabling any VPSs that have made over 50-75 SMTP connections at one time. At this time, we have had port 25 blocked network wide until we can disable all of the spam from our network. We are diligently working on this and truly appreciate your patience.

Along with this, we are happy to announce that we will be introducing another payment gateway to process direct credit card payments. This will be provided through Skrill, and will be available for use within 7 days. If you need an extension on your invoice in order ot pay through Skrill, we can provide that extension for you.

Please feel free to open a ticket if you have any questions. You can open a ticket by emailing us at [email protected]

Best Regards,
Hostodo.com

============

why would you take a vps with around tb's bandwidth and not use a mail server...

off-course not spam but is this move correct and justified?

Thanked by 1Hassan

Comments

• You make it sound like you're sending spam yourself... Though, blocking port 25 is becoming a standard - it's easier to weed out spammers as you know who requests it to be unblocked by ticket.

Thanked by 1netomx
  • They've locked it down just to filter all the spam out by the sounds of it, they should consider building a small VPS for a mail-relay and just filter PHP_Mail without appropriate headers etc.

Just the effort of clients having to configure their mail clients to run through a relay server rather than local.

Thanked by 1agentmishra
  • AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider
    edited August 2015

Well when hosts give out IP's like candy that's what you need to expect, 2GB VPS with 2 IP's for $5, I am starting to think I am one of the only people here that looks more than 1 step ahead.

Thanked by 4ATHK Lee Pwner OnraHost
  • I like VPS providers who require you to request port 25 open, the whitelist approach. Seems like the reasonable middle ground.

Thanked by 4netomx ATHK Lee Pwner
  • @agentmishra said:
    why would you take a vps with around tb's bandwidth and not use a mail server...

LOL Are you serious? So because a server has "TB's of bandwidth" means they MUST Use a mail server? Sheesh.

Thanked by 3rm_ Pwner noaman
  • Spamhaus is cracking down hard on providers. We'll see a trickle down effect when the providers who sell servers to resellers start cracking down and resellers put up policies or all the sudden, it seems all the resellers have the same SMTP blocked by default policy.

It's not a bad idea.

Too easy for an order to come in for 10 VPS servers, each one maxed out on addon IPs, and blast out spam for 24 hours before you catch it or get abuse complaints.

• agentmishraagentmishra Member, Host Rep

running a mail server dose not necessarily mean spamming!

• doughmanes said: Spamhaus is cracking down hard on providers.

One of my IPs was blacklisted on CBL which in turn was blacklisted on ZEN in less than 3 hours because of a spammer yesterday.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
    edited August 2015

@agentmishra said:
    running a mail server dose not necessarily mean spamming!

No but spamming pretty much requires a mail server so blocking mail will definitely be effective in stopping spam (exceptions generally won't get the IP blacklisted).

• agentmishra said: running a mail server dose not necessarily mean spamming!

No, but a normal mail server does not need to make 50-70 smtp connections at the same time.

• Can't providers just rate-limit smtp ports? I don't use much mailings on every server, but requesting to open port 25 just to receive system/software mails is PITA. Heavily throttling port (10-30/hour?) is a much better approach than blocking it completely.

Thanked by 1agentmishra
  • ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider

@DalComp said:
    Can't providers just rate-limit smtp ports? I don't use much mailings on every server, but requesting to open port 25 just to receive system/software mails is PITA. Heavily throttling port (10-30/hour?) is a much better approach than blocking it completely.

And takes a hell of router resources if you do counter in say a few /16's.

• Just ask them...

We used them for a while. If you can justify the SMTP connections, they'll whitelist your IPs from their outbound SMTP blocking/throttling.

• i see spam time always here let. people buy dedi send mail there. vps no good for mail.

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran
    edited August 2015

There are no current SBL listings for prometeus.net

That being said, spamhaus does not list as fast as it did, you can tell the scam is not paying as well as it used to. We find barracuda way more reliable.

Thanked by 1GM2015
  • agentmishraagentmishra Member, Host Rep

@rds100 said:
    No, but a normal mail server does not need to make 50-70 smtp connections at the same time.

thats right, and i agree to that...

• HassanHassan Member, Patron Provider

Sorry about this guys. The port 25 limit has been removed now that we have identified the issue and the blacklistings on Spamhaus have been taken care of.

As of now, there is a limit of 15 SMTP connections per server (email coming shortly). However, please open a ticket if you find this too low for your needs and we will gladly raise it for your individual VPS.