Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Reversed: Offtopic and the Cest Pit
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Reversed: Offtopic and the Cest Pit

mpkossenmpkossen Member
edited August 2015 in Announcements

In an attempt to reduce drama and improve quality content, I've removed threads from the 'Offtopic' category from the recent discussions list (with the exception of the Cest Pit because of its "historical value").

In a couple of weeks I'll see how this is going and I'll then decide if this will be permanent or not :-)

After having reviewed this and having gotten some feedback (thanks @gsrdgrdghd for your brutal honesty) I've decided to reverse this measure for now.

Comments

• LeeLee Veteran

OMG, my post count......

• how about archiving cestpit once a year, once every 1000 posts, or something so it doesn't become so huge.

current cestpit = cest pit
    old cestpit = cestpit 2014

just an idea

• Well this is disappointing. What about off topic threads to do with companies such as Google and alphabet. Was a nice way of discussing things with fellow Low End members.

Thanked by 1netomx
  • @TinyTunnel_Tom said:
    Well this is disappointing. What about off topic threads to do with companies such as Google and alphabet. Was a nice way of discussing things with fellow Low End members.

http://www.lowendtalk.com/categories/offtopic

• @Bruce said:
    how about archiving cestpit once a year

Why?

• BruceBruce Member
    edited August 2015

@vedran said:
    Why?

better DB resource usage (I think)
    shorter and more relevant "In this Discussion" list

and mostly, because I prefer it :)

• NekkiNekki Veteran

Fuck offtopic, more shit than anything useful. Good move.

Thanked by 1mpkossen
  • Bruce said: better DB resource usage (I think)

Eh?

• ricardoricardo Member
    edited August 2015

Probably isn't better resource usage if it results in more people clicking pagination on the Cest Pit thread... most systems tend to use a LIMIT (page * postsperpage),postsperpage which is extremely inefficient. But then, that's another guess, I don't know how this software runs.

• So how can i get the offtopic section to appear on my frontpage again? I haven't found that option yet

• mpkossen said: In an attempt to reduce drama and improve quality content

Maybe you won't like to hear this and maybe it sounds wrong to hear this from me but the drama and off-topic topics are the meat of this discussion forum. I'm also sure quite a lot of people actually agree with it too.

If you take out the reason for people to be here then there isn't much point is there.

• LeeLee Veteran

@concerto49 said:

And there lies the issue that is trying to be addressed.

• @gsrdgrdghd said:
    So how can i get the offtopic section to appear on my frontpage again? I haven't found that option yet

You can't, just like you couldn't get it off before.

concerto49 said: If you take out the reason for people to be here then there isn't much point is there.

I think there's a lot of people with a lot of different reasons to be here. I doubt that this change will drive most of them away. If it does, I don't think those people were at the right place to start with.

• mpkossen said: You can't, just like you couldn't get it off before.

Of course i could turn it off before:

• When members know more about vanilla that admins.

• gsrdgrdghd said: Of course i could turn it off before

Heh, interesting. Well, now I've done it for everyone :-)

@TinyTunnel_Tom said:
    When members know more about vanilla that admins.

When people don't know when to shut up.

• gsrdgrdghdgsrdgrdghd Member
    edited August 2015

mpkossen said: Heh, interesting. Well, now I've done it for everyone :-)

No you didn't because you took the option to opt-in away. Before if you didn't like the offtopic section, you could click hide and you wouldn't see it anymore. Now i don't have an option to opt-in.

Thanked by 1TinyTunnel_Tom
  • @mpkossen said:
    When people don't know when to shut up.

I know quite annoying.

• gsrdgrdghd said: Now i don't have an option to opt-in.

That is correct. I'm sorry, but I'm not going to change that for the time being. You'll always have http://www.lowendtalk.com/categories/offtopic.

• iKeyZiKeyZ Veteran

Seems like a pretty odd change when you could do it yourself if you wanted to.. So basically it has just been taken away from people who wanted it there.

• @iKeyZ said:
    Seems like a pretty odd change when you could do it yourself if you wanted to.. So basically it has just been taken away from people who wanted it there.

That's not the goal of this change. The goal is to reduce the amount of low-quality offtopic content on the front page for everyone, not just those that knew how to remove it (or haven taken the effort to do so).

As with all changes, I'll always evaluate in a month or so to see where we all stand and whether it's realistic to continue down that road.

Thanked by 1iKeyZ
  • I think in its place, more and more offtopic threads will be made in the General section.

• @hellogoodbye said:
    I think in its place, more and more offtopic threads will be made in the General section.

which will be moved by mods

• NekkiNekki Veteran

Can 'off topic' be retitled 'chatting shit'

Thanked by 1alexvolk
  • @gsrdgrdghd said:
    No you didn't because you took the option to opt-in away. Before if you didn't like the offtopic section, you could click hide and you wouldn't see it anymore. Now i don't have an option to opt-in.

Wouldn't hurt to say 'Thanks', you know ;-)

Thanked by 2gsrdgrdghd souen
  • YEY :D whoop whoop

• Yeah the Offtopic is back :)

Thanked by 1mpkossen
This discussion has been closed.