Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

cPanel on NAT VPS?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

cPanel on NAT VPS?

cPanel added support for NAT since 11.48. Anyone tried using this yet?

Installation seem straightforward, though not sure if it works with typical lowend NAT VPS.

Of course licensing will also be a question. Since license is bound to the public IP, any chance providers could start licensing their server and "share" it with NAT clients?

https://documentation.cpanel.net/display/1148Docs/1:1+NAT

Comments

• It is not designed with a LET nat VPS in mind with only limited ports open on a shared IP.

It's designed where a server will have a set of local NAT ip's, with each natted to an external IP on all the required standard ports.

Supporting how some companies may have their cpanel server behind a DMZ or NAT setup like Azure.

Thanked by 1DalComp
  • AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider
    edited August 2015

I had a conversation with cPanel about this, not the NAT Installer / build_cpnat though just a regular VPS license.

I gave them the example of, if I have 2 VPS behind HAProxy on 1 physical server, haproxy running on the physical server cPanel running on the VPS both VPS have the same external IP which license do I need and how many?

(haproxy forwards the requested domain to the correct cPanel server)

They said I need 1 VPS license for the external IP but could not use both VPS at the same time however there is no technical limitation that would stop me using both at the same time only the license terms.

So in theory I could pay for a cPanel license for littlehappycloud.net and everyone on NAT gets free cPanel, I wont and I suspect there is more to it than this but its an interesting idea.

• @AnthonySmith said:
    I had a conversation with cPanel about this, not the NAT Installer / build_cpnat though just a regular VPS license.

I gave them the example of, if I have 2 VPS behind HAProxy on 1 physical server, haproxy running on the physical server cPanel running on the VPS both VPS have the same external IP which license do I need and how many?

(haproxy forwards the requested domain to the correct cPanel server)

They said I need 1 VPS license for the external IP but could not use both VPS at the same time however there is no technical limitation that would stop me using both at the same time only the license terms.

So in theory I could pay for a cPanel license for littlehappycloud.net and everyone on NAT gets free cPanel, I wont and I suspect there is more to it than this but its an interesting idea.

I would be willing to pay for a license for LHC. NL as I have a server there. Do remember you will have to configure sites on reverse proxy still.

TinyTunnel_Tom said: I would be willing to pay for a license for LHC. NL as I have a server there. Do remember you will have to configure sites on reverse proxy still.

Go for it then, does not need to be in my name :)

• @AnthonySmith said:
    Go for it then, does not need to be in my name :)

All paid for. LHC NL is licensed to use cpanel anyone want to give it a go or I will tomorrow at pub.

Thanked by 1DalComp
  • Now this is getting interesting. @AnthonySmith any empty room on the server with the license paid by Tom? Also, LHC just shows me database error page...

• @DalComp said:
    Now this is getting interesting. AnthonySmith any empty room on the server with the license paid by Tom? Also, LHC just shows me database error page...

Only paid for NL if it works and will consider SG. There is space on NL but currently if you order you get a dedicated IP currently AFAIK,

• DalCompDalComp Member
    edited August 2015

@TinyTunnel_Tom said:
    Only paid for NL if it works and will consider SG. There is space on NL but currently if you order you get a dedicated IP currently AFAIK,

Is there only one KVM node in NL?
    That promo hasn't reached 100 orders yet huh. At the moment I am more interested in testing this NAT cPanel, I'm sure Ant can arrange the IPs setup. Of course if "shared" licensing works well it saves more money than a dedicated IP :p

website fixed, looks like it was DDOS'ed until it was oom and mysqld was killed, nice people!

LHC NL is on NAT only now, I actually let it over run slightly.

• If cPanel knows about this, they're losing a substantial amount on licensing if we just get a LHC server and route a foreign IP to there with a GRE tunnel and add it via cPanel...

• @FlamesRunner said:
    If cPanel knows about this, they're losing a substantial amount on licensing if we just get a LHC server and route a foreign IP to there with a GRE tunnel and add it via cPanel...

Not DDoS protected and non SLA. However if this becomes popular I will license more of the LHC and LES servers/IPs.

• linuxthefishlinuxthefish Member
    edited August 2015

NAT with cPanel works well, I use this in semi production with OpenVZ and GRE!

Thanked by 1DalComp

512MB Ram is the biggest package on LHC though, keep that in mind :)

• Make a 1GB plan, would ya?

• DalCompDalComp Member
    edited August 2015

@AnthonySmith said:
    512MB Ram is the biggest package on LHC though, keep that in mind :)

That's the problem. Been trying to find solution to this but my 512mb boxes just won't even install it. Only way to do it is to temporarily increase ram during installation, which is too much work for you if a lot of people are going to try this. And disk space in NL is also less than cpanel requirements...

I miss cPanel that works on 512mb boxes...

• MikePTMikePT Moderator, Patron Provider, Veteran

Now this is really, really interesting... ;-)

• RadiRadi Host Rep, Veteran

I'd love a 1 GB RAM LittleHappyCloud in NL too. :P

• @Radi said:
    I'd love a 1 GB RAM LittleHappyCloud in NL too. :P

+1 for that. Plus Quarterly billing would be awesome as well ;)

• @joodle said:

Agreed. :P

Thanked by 1BlazeMuis
    edited August 2015

Why not something like?

1 GB RAM

15-20 GB Disk

IPv6+NAT

1 CPU Core

300-500 GB Bandwidth

@joodle said:

Might do a limited run to gauge interest then.

Thanked by 1ATHK
  • @AnthonySmith said:
    Might do a limited run to gauge interest then.

I'd say do it! Got my moneys ready!

PM me the order link. :D

Thanked by 1BlazeMuis
  • You have 3 pending orders, Ant. ;)

• @DalComp said:
    You have 3 pending orders, Ant. ;)

ok, well I updated NL plans and added quarterly on the 512+ plans, I think its been 14 days since so I will pop an official offer up today/tomorrow.

Thanked by 1jureve
  • Grabbed a 1GB LHC, installed cPanel, forwarded 2086 to one of allocated ports, setup basic configurations, added test proxy domain on SolusVM. So far it works pretty good and no trial license message. Thanks @TinyTunnel_Tom for the license.

If anyone else tries this, please let me know so we can check any issues especially on the licensing.

My guess will be that they will see multiple updates/requests coming from the same server with some sort of different unique identifier or hostname and blacklist the IP at some point, enjoy it while it lasts though :)

• jurevejureve Member
    edited August 2015

Excellent!!! ;-)

• DalCompDalComp Member
    edited August 2015

@AnthonySmith said:
    My guess will be that they will see multiple updates/requests coming from the same server with some sort of different unique identifier or hostname and blacklist the IP at some point, enjoy it while it lasts though :)

I think so too. But well... :P
    And nice to know that you're cool with the possibility of being blacklisted by cPanel. :D