Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Kaspersky Antivirus accused of creating fake malware for over 10 years
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Kaspersky Antivirus accused of creating fake malware for over 10 years

mikhomikho Member, Host Rep

Here’s a crazy report: Kaspersky Lab, makers of a popular antivirus service, might have created fake malware for over ten years to harm its competitors. The software was benign, but Kaspersky fooled other antivirus software into marking it as infected.

Two ex-employees told Reuters that the clandestine attack was originally meant to punish smaller rivals that Kaspersky felt were ‘stealing’ its technology.

Read the full article here: http://thenextweb.com/insider/2015/08/14/kaspersky-antivirus-accused-of-creating-malware-for-over-10-years/

Thoughts? Could it be true or is this just another way to slander a company?

Comments

• WHTWHT Member

I know it since 10 years. Thats normal for every anti virus after the trial version.

• True? That's business. Learn to defend your security company.

False? Competitors fighting for a percent of market share.

Kaspersky is still the best antivirus in the market.

Okay, now let the fight begin.

• probably more anti russian bs

• Yes they admit they have false positives factory.

https://mobile.twitter.com/e_kaspersky/status/632205875004985345

• I'd trust only ESET Nod32 or malware bytes

• @DalComp said:
    Yes they admit they have false positives factory.

https://mobile.twitter.com/e_kaspersky/status/632205875004985345

It's called irony, not admission.

• I'll just remind everyone that Karspersky Labs is the one who has been outing the US & Israeli 0-day-loaded viruses.

Thanked by 3netomx TarZZ92 Ole_Juul
  • NyrNyr Community Contributor, Veteran
    edited August 2015

I don't see the problem if they were stealing their signatures, which seems like it was the case:

Some of the attacks were ordered by Kaspersky Lab's co-founder, Eugene Kaspersky, in part to retaliate against smaller rivals that he felt were aping his software instead of developing their own technology, they said.

>

"Eugene considered this stealing," said one of the former employees.

Thanked by 1Maounique
  • jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
    edited August 2015

I have a hard time truly trusting anyone who needs me to be harmed, or suspect that I have been, so that they can get paid. That's tough because that obviously covers people who need to exist and do what they do, but selfish human nature has been a constant throughout history.

• shafireshafire Member
    edited August 2015

• UrDNUrDN Member
    edited August 2015

Oh, this is so surprising, how could this ever happen? There was absolutely no clue :) How can a company that markets proprietary softwares which behave exactly like the malwares they pretend to fight could be evil?

Thanked by 1linuxthefish
  • WebProjectWebProject Host Rep, Veteran

Traffic said: Kaspersky is still the best antivirus in the market.

+1 prefer Kaspersky compare to crappy Norton

Thanked by 1netomx
  • sinsin Member

It's been awhile since I've used Kaspersky, ended up switching to ESET Smart Security and have been happy with that.

• NyrNyr Community Contributor, Veteran

Am I part of a minority not using any antivirus? It seems so "year 2000"...

I do use a firewall on my work computer, but that's all.

Thanked by 2Maounique TheKiller
  • Got avast running on my Windows installations and everything's fine as well :)

Well, if they were really stealing stuff - understandable. If not - nice way to increase market share.

• VirMachVirMach Member, Patron Provider

nexmark said: I'd trust only ESET Nod32 or malware bytes

Malwarebytes went down the drain when everyone started recommending it to their parents. Now they push the Pro version way too hard and they opted in for the same annoying UI and method of telling you you're "not protected" as all other antiviruses. For me, at least, Malwarebytes used to be a non-annoying opt-in scan. Sure you can go through and change the settings to get rid of the extra "features" but that's the spammy behavior I only expected from other antiviruses.

Nyr said: Am I part of a minority not using any antivirus? It seems so "year 2000"...
    I do use a firewall on my work computer, but that's all.

You basically have to actively try to get malware. I do not use protection for my personal computer, but I also do not visit shady websites, download shady files, etc. And I do use firewall as well.

• I live without real-time scanning. I got MBAM Pro when it was cheap with that pirate offer (saw how to get it, used the trick) and I perform regular scans for the sake of it.

As long as you don't do anything stupid, your computer probably won't either.

On topic: I kind of suspected Kaspersky was bad already, though I didn't think they'd release malware...

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

That was in the news years ago.

• That's ~3x cheaper than KS direct. There must be something shady going on there.

Thanked by 1netomx
  • NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran

@netomx EBay: 13 Bucks.

Thanked by 1netomx
  • TrafficTraffic Member
    edited August 2015

I also recall seeing sellers on Bitcointalk for $10-$20 or so. KS is the one they usually have less stock in (I suppose it has more demand or is more difficult to get).

• I have a '98 copy of F-PROT which works for checking old floppies on vintage systems, but haven't found any newer antivirus programs to be of any practical use.

• Kaspersky in this situation is OK, McAfee is making you think that you need a new PC.

• Oh well. I still don't care. Let's face it, developing viruses to bypass AV is rather easy on both scan and runtime.