Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Looking for full virtualization storage VPS
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Looking for full virtualization storage VPS

cybjecybje Member
edited November 2012 in General

Does someone offer a full virtualization storage VPS (so no OpenVZ), preferably in the US or Asia? Need about 128 MB of RAM, Ubuntu 12.04 and 50+ GB diskspace (more is always better).

It's used for personal storage, so it will only have OpenVPN and my cluster filesystem (MooseFS) running.

Comments

• SpeedBusSpeedBus Member, Host Rep

Hmm I could get you something in Germany / USA (KVM)

USA - Lenior, North Carolina
    Germany - Münster

• Just an FYI, It would work on OpenVZ too:

"mfsmount is based on the FUSE mechanism (Filesystem in USErspace), so MooseFS is available on every Operating System with a working FUSE implementation (Linux, FreeBSD, MacOS X, etc.) "

• @SpeedBus can you give me an offer for USA? Münster is just 40 miles from where I live and I like to have my data more geographically seperated :)

@Damian thanks, I'm aware of that, but I prefer full virt.

@cybje said: @SpeedBus can you give me an offer for USA? Münster is just 40 miles from where I live and I like to have my data more geographically seperated :)

Yep sure, you won't get SolusVM tho, it'll be proxmox control panel, if that's okay ?

• Proxmox is ok

• We offer different storage VPS called storagebox in germany. All storagesboxes based on KVM. Take a look at https://www.filemedia.de/storagebox.php (starting at 3,99€ for 50GB Raid10 up to 400GB Raid10 storage).

@cybje said: Proxmox is ok

PM me and we'll work it out :)

• @speedbus can you PM me some pricing range for the DE plan?

@djvdorp said: @speedbus can you PM me some pricing range for the DE plan?

Sure :) 2 mins :)

• why do you "prefer" "full virt" when the solution is also available for openvz

• cybjecybje Member
    edited November 2012

I have had several problems with OpenVZ, with OpenVPN (some providers do not support VPN's), using the cluster filesystem (sometimes FUSE doesn't work) and firewalling (iptables isn't always working 100%). In an optimal situation it works fine, but I am more experienced with full virtualization environments (it's also my job) so it's easier for me to use.

• concerto49concerto49 Member
    edited November 2012

@cybje said: I have had several problems with OpenVZ, with OpenVPN (some providers do not support VPN's), using the cluster filesystem (sometimes FUSE doesn't work) and firewalling (iptables isn't always working 100%).

TUN/TAP/etc ready here. Have customers that use OpenVPN.
    FUSE ready - available from ticket or just in ordering notes.
    iptables modules all there.

If you do have further problems with OpenVZ, we'd like to have it fixed. Improving customer experience is top priority.

• Same with us. We can help with an openvz

• kbeeziekbeezie Member
    edited November 2012

@Damian for it to work on OpenVz the host would have to enable the fuse module at the main server level. Which not every host will do, with KVM for example you got more control over your own kernel configuration. (but some as mentioned above, already enable Fuse and other 'popular' modules).

• @kbeezie said: for it to work on OpenVz the host would have to enable the fuse module at the main server level.

Indeed, very easy.

@kbeezie said: Which not every host will do,

I would imagine that they are the ones that do not want to make sales...

• kbeeziekbeezie Member
    edited November 2012

@Damian that's not really fair to say, it's like saying a host that doesn't allow IRC or Seedboxes is missing out on sales, maybe they simply don't want to hassle with supporting it, or having to deal with people who abuse the feature.