Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Yet another storage plan (BETA)
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Yet another storage plan (BETA)

MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran
edited November 2012 in General

Hello LET !

In the process of learning at Prometeus, Uncle gave me a few toys and said to make something of them.
I saw there is a need of storage plans and our customers are not very happy with the disk space we provide (good quality but expensive storage) I came up with the idea to offer versatile storage plans, very cheap for our customers.
Since half of LET already have a plan with us and they are also technologically inclined ppl, i post here this BETA free (for now) ride on our storage plan. please be gentle, this is my first project completed more or less alone, so might have made some errors :)
The bad news first:
1. It has no redundancy (no raid, nor backups, if a disk bombs, we will replace it, but not the data)
2. The CPU is small but you get a core and for a storage plan should suffice unless you plan to compress stuff there (will work but slow)
3. There is only IPv6 connectivity, but, for our customers that means nothing since all plans have IPv6. That doesnt mean will work only inside our DC, of course, but the backups from inside will go faster.

The good news is mainly that the virtualization is Xen-PV with pygrub, which basically means you can run everything there since you can use own kernel as long as you compile it for Xen DomU and, as such, you can use anything that fits the specs (I saw few ppl offering this and i felt the need in the past for more options such as iSCSI or NFS targets that OVZ cannot offer) .
Storage is guaranteed, you get exactly that amount and you have the option of making a real swap partition too.
This plan has 100 GB storage, 400 GB traffic, 1 IPv6, one Atom D525 core, 100 mbps shared port. Will probably be offered for some 2 Eur a month, so expect them to go fast (beta testers will have priority).
If there is a very serious demand (ie ppl screaming here everyday they want more), we will put bigger servers with bigger disks and also offer storage-less plans with IPv6 only for irc/VPN for 50 cents on the same Xen technology.
The panel is cloudmin which offers more options than Solus and we only offer the resources with the login, ppl will create themselves the VPS following my tutorial here:http://board.prometeus.net/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=895&sid=06a9c02954b96f88da53b2d5d519052b

The usual disclaimer:
This is a beta test. Will last until we are satisfied with the results and ready to go into production, do not store anything important there.
This plan is also not intended for anything else than storage (but VPN accepted) so you should not run anything that causes load on the storage or CPU, especially torrents. If you wish to do something you think it is ok, ask first.

Enrollment: PM me here with your customer ID or open a ticket logged into WHMCS.
This is totally free and carries the benefit of a reserved slot when will be launched for real.

Comments

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

@Jack said: Is this going to be the box Uncle gave me free box on a few months back?

Not really, will not have ipv4 but will probably have more other specs. I am very serious in pushing uncle to promote IPv6 as much as possible, in EU we do not have the piles of IPv4 US ppl have.

• AlexBarakovAlexBarakov Patron Provider, Veteran

@Maounique said: Not really, will not have ipv4 but will probably have more other specs. I am very serious in pushing uncle to promote IPv6 as much as possible, in EU we do not have the piles of IPv4 US ppl have.

Yup, really true.

The LIR that I was considering a couple of months ago now charges 1 euro per IP per month for /24 blocks.

It's getting a pain in the ass to work in that industry from EU, unless you have tons of IPs left.

• Thank you for the work M :)
    I would like to try, but maybe after it's launched. ( I don't want to be called as a free-man ) :p

IPv6 only would be enough, and safer for me, because not much people in Indonesia can access IPv6. :)

• AlexBarakovAlexBarakov Patron Provider, Veteran

BTW, if you can throw in one ipv4, I'd be happy to try it for personal use. As my ISP still doesen't offer ipv6 and tunneling from Bulgaria won't really work out well (atleast I think so).

If you try now will make me a service, not the other way. I need ppl to try it first and abuse them to see how much can take :P
    Ppl that pay will not be happy about downtime and reinstalls in case something goes wrong with the tests.

edited November 2012

@Alex_LiquidHost said: BTW, if you can throw in one ipv4, I'd be happy to try it for personal use. As my ISP still doesen't offer ipv6 and tunneling from Bulgaria won't really work out well (atleast I think so).

If you are a prometeus customer, your vps should have ipv6 already, and if you are not, you do not qualify :(
    P.S. the control panel has ipv4 connectivity, of course :)
    P.S. 2 going to bed, will look at pms in a few hours, it is almost 5 am here :)

• Ah well. Let me try for it then.
    But I don't know what is my user id

• I have just filed ticket 216257.

• Thanks for this opportunity

I have submitted a ticket #943258

• Thank you

I submit ticket #925973

• What is ppl?

• @Maounique said: half of LET already have a plan with us and they are also technologically inclined ppl

rude

• @kampung ppl = people :)

@gubbyte how is it rude?

Sent to everyone the link to "buy" :)
    Thank you !
    Lets hope it goes well, if not, will fix it :)

• BlazeMuisBlazeMuis Member
    edited November 2012

Opened ticket #563802 :)

I'm a customer since 10th of march :D

• M, can you PM me? Mobile theme PM function isgiving me a hard time. I am sals Customer since euro2012

• My oldest service in Prometeus VPS is in April, the other are new one

I see ppl are working hard... 2 dd tests running in parallel :D
    It aint gonna fly, it is a backup VPS...

• Ordered one. Thanks M and uncle.

• @Maounique, do you think is this the best way if I need to extend a SSD VPS with additional, slow storage? Or do you have something what is just pure NFS, without a VPS on top? My ticket is: #311035

edited November 2012

Slots filled. There will be more later. Perhaps some VPN/IRC some too with IPv6.

@Maounique, do you think is this the best way if I need to extend a SSD VPS with additional, slow storage? Or do you have something what is just pure NFS, without a VPS on top? My ticket is: #311035

No pure NFS, but it is a good idea...
    However, I was thinking that with a VPS you have the freedom to choose what you will use. iSCSI for example. So, yes, that was the idea, to extend storage on fast but small space VPSes, it aint gonna be fast but the most lag will be from the TCP overhead, the disks are fast enough to cope with 100 mbps port.

• Shame it's IPV6 only, otherwise I'd have been very interested.

• InfinityInfinity Member, Host Rep

Damn, have I missed it?

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited November 2012

@Nekki said: Shame it's IPV6 only, otherwise I'd have been very interested.

"Shame"? I'd say shame is that you are not IPv6-ready to take advantage of a new cool service.

• @rm_ said: "Shame"? I'd say shame is that you are not IPv6-ready to take advantage of a new cool service.

Well, obviously, but there's nothing I can do about that, there's no ISP's in this country that offer IPv6 :-(

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
  • 100 GB @ 2 euro's is more than enough! Also @Maounique may provide more IPv6, though not sure. As he earlier said 1 IPv4 costs approx. 1 Euro, so its one or the optimum he is willing to provide at this cost. And may become one of the best deal if ipv6 become accessible to all with ease.

Is't any way to tunneling IPv6 to v4 with ease?

@Nekki said: Well, obviously, but there's nothing I can do about that, there's no ISP's in this country that offer IPv6 :-(

I think that an important thing that ppl miss is that it is a backup plan. If you have an ipv6 VPS you can back it up there AND mount the space as whatever you want in your VPS.
    The main reason I struggled to make it Xen and not OVZ like everyone else, is taht I wanted to give full options to everyone. OVZ simply crashes if NFS is enabled, cant do iSCSI and even SMB... You need modules and extra work for a simple thing like FUSE...

• Answer came before I questioned it, @rm_
    .LOL.

• @Maounique said: I think that an important thing that ppl miss is that it is a backup plan.

I'm not missing anything. I would simply want to backup files from my home NAS via rsync.