Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Dacentec increases IP pricing. Are they reliable?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Dacentec increases IP pricing. Are they reliable?

armindsarminds Member, Host Rep

Hello,

I have been with @dacentec for more than 1 month now and they increased IP pricing. For example their /27 IP block was for $19.5/month and now they are for $25/month with affect our profit margin.

Are they reliable is terms of pricing? Or I will find my company loses money in the near future because they increase prices by 25% every few months?

i appreciate your inputs.

Comments

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited August 2015

This is outrageous. It's not like anything has changed with regard to worldwide IPv4 availability. Oh, wait...

• IP prices from service providers are around $1/IP/month mostly everywhere in USA and Europe. Expect more providers to adjust.

• arminds said: Are they reliable is terms of pricing? Or I will find my company loses money in the near future because they increase prices by 25% every few months?

Might be funding for the "network upgrades" they did constantly for awhile.

Just checked my inbox, they're down to one every 2 months versus monthly these days.

Maintenance Window
    Start: Tuesday, August 11, 2015, 07:00 AM EDT
    End: Tuesday, August 11, 2015, 07:30 AM EDT

Thanked by 1arminds
  • armindsarminds Member, Host Rep

@doughmanes said:

End: Tuesday, August 11, 2015, 07:30 AM EDT

Yes, may be funding the network upgrades but I believe it should a smooth and pre-announced price increase. I shouldn't discover it suddenly while I am trying to order a new IP block.

• @arminds said:
    Yes, may be funding the network upgrades but I believe it should a smooth and pre-announced price increase. I shouldn't discover it suddenly while I am trying to order a new IP block.

Did they increase the pricing for your old block?

• NyrNyr Community Contributor, Veteran

If by "are they reliable?" you mean "can I trust a company with really tiny margins to not change pricing over time?", then no.

Thanked by 1arminds

@linuxthefish said:
    Did they increase the pricing for your old block?

Not yet. As I mentioned, I saw the new price while ordering a new block.

• Still not bad pricing for example delimiter charge $1/ip regardless you getting just under $1 so its not bad for servers from $20/month! and rent to owns from $30!!!

Thanked by 1arminds
  • ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider

@arminds 5 USD affects your profit margins ?

• ExonHostExonHost Member, Host Rep

New price still low and reasonable.

• If 5.50/mth additional for that many IPs is worrying you, I think its time to shutdown your hosting business.

Thanked by 1J1021
  • selling a $15/yr service is difficult when the IP costs the provider $1/m. so $5 increase is a big deal. but it won't be the last increase, so either get used to it or get out

• ya, stop bottom feeding.. if the only way you can gain customers is bottom feeding, its time to get out.

Any supplier changing his prices for any type of business shall affect profit margin. However, $5 doesn't ruin ours but what I am concerned about is that if they are not stable in pricing I might see the same IP block for $40 or $50 which is so unacceptable.

I hope you answer my question instead of judging my pricing decisions.

• IP prices are going to go up across the industry. As IPs get more scarce up it will go.

Thanked by 1arminds

IP prices are rising. You'll sooner or later have to pay more. By the time they get to 50 I suppose everyone else will have pretty much similar or higher price. And yes. It will happen, so plan ahead.

Thanked by 1arminds
  • Please increase prices of v4. That way v6 will start to be useful

Thanked by 1Clouvider
  • @Bruce - IPv6 is a long long long way before being useful. You can't even get the same IPv6 view across all upstreams yet.

Thanked by 1muratai
  • Do that NAT IP thing that EU providers do

• Route your own block for $25/month

• Did they give you notice, or did you just get an increased Invoice, id rather a company increase a bill by a few $$ than go dead-pool.

@TinyTunnel_Tom said:
    Route your own block for $25/month

How?

@AshleyUk said:
    Did they give you notice, or did you just get an increased Invoice, id rather a company increase a bill by a few $$ than go dead-pool.

They didn't increase my invoice. I saw the new price while I was trying to order a new block.

@arminds said:
    How?

Starting with basics. Do you have your own block.

I order the IP block directly from the data center provider

• @arminds said:
    I order the IP block directly from the data center provider

I don't think you can order the IP blocks. You can only order to rent these IP blocks, I assume?

• doghouchdoghouch Member
    edited August 2015

@Bruce said:
    Please increase prices of v4. That way v6 will start to be useful

The best part is that IPv6 addresses are virtually free right now being that providers are like... "HERE! HAVE ANOTHER /64 BLOCK... THE DIFFERENCE IS, WE WON'T CHARGE YOU A CENT UNLIKE OUR $1/MONTH PRICING FOR ONE SINGLE V4 ADDRESS! GO V6!!!!!"

@msg7086 said:
    I don't think you can order the IP blocks. You can only order to rent these IP blocks, I assume?

Yes, that what I meant order to rent.

• @arminds said:
    Yes, that what I meant order to rent.

So. You need to order to own, or at least leasing a block, to be able to route your own block.

• randvegetarandvegeta Member, Host Rep

@arminds,

Considering you are only seeing increased prices on new orders, I think you should consider yourself lucky.

Everyone knows IPv4 is running out. APNIC/ARIN/RIPE have already allocated all the IPs and are now only able to allocate 'reclaimed' IPs.

Given the near impossibility of getting more IPs allocated, many providers will soon run out, or low on IPs, preventing them from offering more servers. The logical approach would be to increase cost per IP to discourage wasteful use of IPs. Prices will continue to increase until it only makes sense for dedicated serves.

For example, if a dedicated server costs $200, then even if an IP costs $10 /month to a provider, it's may still be economical to pay. VPS may not.