Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

PPTP VPN on OpenVZ
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

PPTP VPN on OpenVZ

8dee8dee Member
edited November 2012 in General

Hello, I am new at this and just bought a mini vps from securedragon just to play with things.

They provided a quite easy guide at https://my.securedragon.net/knowledgebase.php?action=displayarticle&id=70

Unfortunately I got the following error at debug log each time I try to connect from my Mac client

Nov 17 18:28:40 adivps pptpd[622]: CTRL: Reaping child PPP[623]

cat on the /dev/ppp gives me permission denied, like below error. Is this normal?

cat: /dev/ppp: Permission denied

Tried rebooting and re-enabling PPP like what mentioned on the guide but no success here. Not sure if client is bad or server is bad. Any help?

Comments

• Try contacting SecureDragon and ask them to enable it for you? maybe you're not enabling it right. Or it could be the host node.

• Solus will fail to actually modify the config properly at times, so disable and re-enable ppp in the control panel, wait a minute or two between each toggle.

• thank you @Ishaq I open a ticket with them.

• They may not enable PPP - I had an openvz where this was the case, they did, however let me use OpenVPN.

• mikhomikho Member, Host Rep

I had a similar problem after a reinstall with the mini debian install (including pptp).
    Had to disable both PPP and TUN/TAP.
    Then enable PPP and after that TUN/TAP.

Key point ... TUN/TAP disabled when enabling PPP.

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran
    edited November 2012

It works either way, just need to wait enough for it to happen. Depending on how busy the node is, can take some time from 30 seconds to a few minutes.
    Dont just fast-click around, Solus is not that smart.

• Just one process after the other completed. Leave it at least 30 seconds or 1 minute.
    All My Prometeus is having TUN/TAP and PPTP enabled :D