Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

re ping enhancing gaming application
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

re ping enhancing gaming application

is services from wtfast.com and killping.com legit? tried searching and found this thread in reddit: https://www.reddit.com/r/DotA2/comments/37ybiz/anyone_have_tried_kill_ping_is_it_legit/
how do they do this? this is different from the usual vpn right?

Comments

• WilliamWilliam Member
    edited August 2015

You know speed of light is limited, right?

This is, by design, not more than a VPN - You can achieve the same with a good VPN provider for probably less cost.

You can shave off some ms by better routing (i.e. Chile -> VPN in Brazil that is directly connected to your ISP in CL -> Gameserver in Brazil has lower latency as Chile -> US/Panama/etc -> Brazil) but this comes at a high cost usually (there is a reason why i.e. most traffic in CL/PE etc. goes via US, links between countries are rare, old (=less capacity) and thus expensive).

In Europe this all is pretty much useless as peering is very good (except on a bunch of shitty ISPs like DTAG/UPC), in US probably not much gain, for some things in South America/Asia it could make sense.

In general, better check your latency via some VPN providers and buy an account at the one with the best latency to your target - Cheaper.

EDIT: Better, real life, example:

killping has a server in Manilla, PH - The large PH ISPs (Globe, PLDT) do neither peer with each other (all traffic goes to HK or even US first) nor have good international transit (goes mainly via HK and again US, and their US links are often saturated plus their peering/upstreams in US are of low quality) - Killping has a box with a DC that is "triple" homed to Globe, PLDT and an Asian carrier present in PH (PCCW most likely) - Thus ping from Globe/PLDT to their server is good (as local links are rarely oversaturated) and their international BW is of higher quality, thus either offering lower latency (like to gameservers in HK/SG) or better quality (with possibly minor latency improvement) to US.

Thanked by 1marl
  • belinikbelinik Member
    edited August 2015

used them for years, result is ymmv, they do work even to some isp where you have stable connections. they are basically running socks 5 server.

a very loose example: my isp to certain dota 2 server has 120 ping, but using those and choosing the right entry point and server my ping will drop to 80ms.

they are being much more useful for customer with very weak international connection(such as china). average ping to a wow server goes from 1500 down to only 350 ish, making it playable. some will reduce the chance of dc-ing

just make sure the game you play allows those service(wow does, ffxiv is kinda silent on this, eve online is against the use of such service.

Thanked by 1marl
  • marlmarl Member

@William said:
    You know speed of light is limited, right?

thank you very much for the detailed explaination. darn you know how isp here in PH works. :D

@belinik said:
    used them for years, result is ymmv, they do work even to some isp where you have stable connections. they are basically running socks 5 server.

a very loose example: my isp to certain dota 2 server has 120 ping, but using those and choosing the right entry point and server my ping will drop to 80ms.

they are being much more useful for customer with very weak international connection(such as china). average ping to a wow server goes from 1500 down to only 350 ish, making it playable. some will reduce the chance of dc-ing

just make sure the game you play allows those service(wow does, ffxiv is kinda silent on this, eve online is against the use of such service.

are you using kp or wtf? i decided to try kp earlier (after being installed for months already) and it shows on their app that i have gain about 30% in latency. from 140ms it now uses 90ms - almost same in in-game ping (-ping).

• I just found out they had a steam app, just read the reviews; http://store.steampowered.com/app/315880#app_reviews_hash

• marlmarl Member

@Quinten said:
    I just found out they had a steam app, just read the reviews; http://store.steampowered.com/app/315880#app_reviews_hash

i just found out too that i cant try their service, no trial.

• jbilohjbiloh Administrator, Veteran

Anyone remember Gamerail? They tried to do this circa 2006 and went out of business in the process.

• belinikbelinik Member
    edited August 2015

the steam review is bogus, they got alot of heat for it since they offered 1 month free for those who review something 'positive'.

i used bp and wtfast before and a several chinese options, with each of their advantage. although their interface sucks i recommend trying wtfast as their chained connection worked best in my situation.

bottom line it all depends where your problem is(eg: connection to server, your isp throttling the protocol, your country ban the use of such connection, your home isp has shit routing to server etc) Some works better then other, while some is plain useless. If you are interested you can tell me what is wrong with your situation and i might be able to suggest you to the right direction(prefer in pm since this is out of leb topic).

also, never trust auto detect especially on games with multi geo server. Always do research on where the destination server is and manually select them. and take note on the server you choose(as some may be in the same city but utilizing different datacentre.

shameless aff line: http://www.wtfast.com/promote.aspx?APID=2217